advertisement

Gary Lineker vs. BBC

We realised we love Italy the first time we rode there on a motorbike. France is not bike unfriendly (unlike the UK), but Italy takes it to another level. And as vegetarians, France was horrible.
But anyway, not much to do with Lineker. Sorry.

We realised we love Italy the first time we rode there on a motorbike. France is not bike unfriendly (unlike the UK), but Italy takes it to another level. And as vegetarians, France was horrible.
But anyway, not much to do with Lineker. Sorry.
sure we can make the diversion work somehow

I agree that UK is not free enough. No country I have lived in has felt free enough. France feels less free than UK, though. I also recognise that UK may be seen as less open in coming reports. I also agree that the UK voting system is shit.

Did I miss a mention of freedom in the post you replied?

What do you mean by free-enough?

He's changed his Twitter profile photo:
bNKoZeaR.jpg

And taken on Spiderman as personal security.

Did I miss a mention of freedom in the post you replied?

What do you mean by free-enough?
I don't need the relentless speed cameras in UK but have to live with them because of others.
I don't like the fact you have to rely on a bus, boat, train or plane to get out, all of which command a huge fee.
I don't like the miserable dark winters.
I don't like the conservative party, what they did during covid was vile.
I don't like the horrendous rail service.
I don't like the just as horrendous traffic jams.
I don't like the lack of service in the banks.

Will that do for now?

The poster I replied to was talking about the UK and we can't even resource the checks we are supposed to be doing (see link). FWIW Rich, I thought your comments were quite balanced.

But I too spend plenty of time in France and it cannot escape your notice how the dynamic is changing and fast. The fuel and food prices in France had briefly reached parity after many years of being cheaper but that has changed again. To that I would now add availability as a contrast point. As for UK roads and infrastructure, the UK is (to borrow a Johnson phrase) world leading - in the wrong way.

For a so-called first world country, they are abysmal and that is getting worse by the day - see also the huge increase in unrepaired drainage. The reduction in proactive tree felling and verge maintenance means more service interruptions. Then there is the non-existent litter control even in rural areas. In short, the place is increasingly looking more like a dump and over much wider areas. Not signs of a country on the up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61259832
it certainly looks like it is falling behind each time i come back. one day there will be a government that is not scared of a long-term plan.

Awful. I can't imagine how hard on you that must be.

As I mentioned before one of my colleagues came out as a trans man last year and pretty much no one cared. .

Thats a good result is it not ? came out as a trans man and no one cared ie were neutral about the situation, treated him the same/were not derogatory-surely that's what is expected if coming out-be neutral about a sensitive issue to avoid being labelled discriminatory.

People who once accept a trans person can change based on media lies and manufactured outrage about us and they can look the other way when they fear their own freedoms are taken away when we are under attack and have our right to autonomy taken away. Neutrality is rarely ever neutral no matter the appearance of it.

To be neutral in the face of oppression is to side with the oppressor.

Rights conferred are not forever and there is a reason why in the “reasoned debate” trans voices are always excluded from talking about ourselves. Vast tranches of work are written about us by cisgender people which exclude and serve to silence transgender people. If our voices are heard and if we are visible, the things the media fabricates would fall apart so it is vital to keep our voices silent.

In short: no matter the appearance of allyship, (something people I noticed in the uk sometimes believe equates to allyship) it means jack shit remaining neutral because unless you stand up to forces that oppress minorities that oppression will eventually come for everyone.

Last edited:
I don't need the relentless speed cameras in UK but have to live with them because of others.
I don't like the fact you have to rely on a bus, boat, train or plane to get out, all of which command a huge fee.
I don't like the miserable dark winters.
I don't like the conservative party, what they did during covid was vile.
I don't like the horrendous rail service.
I don't like the just as horrendous traffic jams.
I don't like the lack of service in the banks.

Will that do for now?
Only the first item counts as freedom constraint.
I agree with the rest of your complaints. You could add produce and ready-made food to the list.

PS forgot about the schiit houses for stupid money

Last edited:
Flying into Heathrow, I saw this and wondered what was going on. Zero about on the BBC - so a quick Google made me more aware.
This shower in power have become very, very good at making smoke screens and keeping this kind of thing off the air, especially the (un-biased??) BBC.
Those marching are obviously very angry as to what is happening in their lives, yet to show it 'do the right thing' and march / do what they can.
Even that could land them in deep water with Bravermans new laws.
Utterly disgusting, yet but nothing as to what would occur if this was France.

Apparently there are some leaked Whatsapp messages floating around that highlight just how owned by the Tory Party the BBC news reporting has become (Byline Times). Sadly the link publishes no evidence, it is only hearsay, but hopefully screenshots of the actual messages will make their way into the public domain before long with names. I suspect we know exactly who the bought people at the BBC are, their jobs are after all Tory appointments, it will however be interesting to see which specific MPs are applying pressure to push their lies, bigotry and propaganda.

Davie has apologised. He should resign.

And new independence rules should be established so that no one who has held office in or stood for election for the Conservative party (both are true of Davie) should be able to become Director General of the BBC ever again. It’s a complete joke.

The same should go for Labour, of course, but it’s the level of corruption and cronyism of the current government-media interface, including the BBC, which is most pressingly farcical right now.

In political BBC roles I’d like to see a ban on anyone who has ever been a member or donor to a political party. It is more than possible to get through life without such tribalism. I’ve managed 59 years so far.

In political BBC roles I’d like to see a ban on anyone who has ever been a member or donor to a political party. It is more than possible to get through life without such tribalism. I’ve managed 59 years so far.
We might allow for youthful indiscretions. A statute of limitations on being a member, might be reasonable.

Apart from joining the Young Conservatives, obvs.

We might allow for youthful indiscretions. A statute of limitations on being a member, might be reasonable.

Apart from joining the Young Conservatives, obvs.
Surely it is more that case that we can’t expect anyone to be non tribal. Thee, me, Tony L and Davie are all tribal, just that we see ourselves as rational and the other tribe as irrational. The truth is that of that quartet, only thee and me are properly rational

advertisement

Back