advertisement

Jean Michel Jarre

IIRC it was recorded at home, though home for JMJ, son of composer Maurice Jarre, may have had rather more facilities than the typical dwelling!

I dived into electronic music as soon as I was aware it existed and I’d certainly found Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream before Oxygene was a hit in the UK (1977). I certainly had Autobahn, TEE and Rubycon by that point. I remember thinking Oxygene was quite cheesy as I’ve always been far more interested in rhythm and texture rather than melody, but I warmed to it and still really like it, as I did to Giorgio Moroder’s stuff with Donna Summer around the same time. All this stuff has been part of my life since I was 13-14 or so and overlapped with shifting taste through eras of prog, punk, new-wave and ‘80s synth pop, indie, techno etc. I’ve always liked a good bleep.

You must be a couple of years older than me. ( I was 11 mostly in ‘77)
I did have access to loads of Disco and Soul, so my love of (some) Giorgio Moroder electronic sounds via Donna Summer etc.
It was the dancing side of electronic music that had me appealed first. Pop Corn, Magic Fly etc. Couldn’t dance to Jarre, so it didn’t tick all my boxes back then.

IIRC it was recorded at home, though home for JMJ, son of composer Maurice Jarre, may have had rather more facilities than the typical dwelling!

It had a few choice tidbits, but AFAICT, no 8 or 16 track machine!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/oct/16/jean-michel-jarre-michel-granger-oxygene

5592.jpg

[edit]

I never knew he had an EKO ComputeRhythm.

You must be a couple of years older than me. ( I was 11 mostly in ‘77)

I’d have been 14 at the time. A real area of discovery for me as it was the point I was leaving T. Rex, Slade etc and discovering more long-form stuff like Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, plus the stoner rock of Hawkwind, and whatever Groundhogs, Man, Nektar, Gong etc are. I was finding a lot of interesting stuff that I still enjoy today, mainly via exploring friends older brothers/sisters record collections. That against the backdrop of the punk and new-wave thing that was happening. It was a good time trying to deep-dive a whole world of stuff and figuring out what I liked. I saved my dinner money at school and had a paper round, so I could go buy a second hand album or two each weekend, plus I traded stuff with other kids. I started early!

He was at the time estranged from his father and living in a small apartment. Having recently split from his first wife and with his then wife to be (Charlotte Rampling) away filming he had 8 weeks over summer with 'nothing to do' and so set about recording Oxygene using analogue monophonic synths he had purchased secondhand with money from his songwriting endeavours and an old 8 track recorder. The whole lot was set up in his kitchen where he worked either alone or with his friend Michel Geiss who had introduced him to synths and how to mend them, improve them etc. The 8 track was then of course mastered and mixed professionally, but the raw recording was done by Jarre at home and one of the reasons the album contains so many background effects is to cover up the tape hiss from the 8 track.

I’d have been 14 at the time. A real area of discovery for me as it was the point I was leaving T. Rex, Slade etc and discovering more long-form stuff like Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, plus the stoner rock of Hawkwind, and whatever Groundhogs, Man, Nektar, Gong etc are. I was finding a lot of interesting stuff that I still enjoy today, mainly via exploring friends older brothers/sisters record collections. That against the backdrop of the punk and new-wave thing that was happening. It was a good time trying to deep-dive a whole world of stuff and figuring out what I liked. I saved my dinner money at school and had a paper round, so I could go buy a second hand album or two each weekend, plus I traded stuff with other kids. I started early!

My history differs significantly because I didn’t know any older teens, no older males cousins etc. with collections to trawl through.
All the rock/prog you mention were of no interest then, I didn’t know anyone who had that kind of stuff. And you couldn’t dance to it.
Apart from that, like many here, I spent all my paper round money on records as well.
What I didn’t do is trade - I still have most of what I bought from the age of 12 onwards.

I had no interest is the dance stuff at all until techno came along a decade or more later with its associated chemical additives. I certainly liked a lot of dance type stuff, e.g. Donna Summer, Grace Jones, but just because I liked it, I was never a fan of dance floors!

If I didn’t trade I’d need a warehouse for storage by now! I’m not exaggerating at all! Just so, so many records have passed through my hands I couldn’t put a figure on it. To be blunt I've never been wealthy enough not to buy stuff that I know I can make money on in order to buy the stuff I wanted for myself/to satisfy my own curiosity. Like most dealers in all fields the trading funds the habit. My record collection, like my hi-fi, is largely self-funding and always has been.

Docklands in the rain

That’s a prototype JMJ song title if ever I heard one.

“Magnetic Fields” is peak Jarre for me, love “The Concerts In China” and “Zoolook”, found “Rendez-Vous” a crushing disappointment. As a pre-tween OMD / Human League / Soft Cell / New Order enthusiast JMJ fitted right in.

I have the Concerts in China LP. I bought it after being hugely impressed by the live 1981 RFM/BBC transmission from Shanghai .

Living on a hill on the South Coast I had - and still have - excellent reception of RFM FM transmissions on my QUAD FM4, so was able to switch between that and the BBC transmision, which I seem to remember sounded exactly the same - they probably came from the same feed :)

Anyhow, I was so impressed by the music I bought the LP, though to this day it remains the only one of his I own - at least I think it is, but just recently I've been coming across stuff I'd forgotten I had.

First came across JMJ when a French exchange student stayed with us in Leicester in the early 80s.

This French lad Renard bought over an LP of "Equinoxe" and I played it on my father's Garrard deck. As a Kraftwerk fan I really liked it.

That evening we bought Renard Fish 'n' Chips from the famous Grimsby Fisheries in Leicester. Renard solemnly watched me construct a chip butty. Renard then proceeded to make his own chip butty (he seemed very puzzled by this English culinary delicacy).

After the food we watched Kenny Everett on TV. Renard dissolved into a fit hysterics watching Kenny's mime artist:-

Some years ago I scored this nifty JMJ box set from a Charity Shop for a bargain price:-

DCF302-EC-E3-B2-4568-8662-5-CE5-EE84-A989.jpg

All the albums from Oxygene to Cities In Concert and in nice non-brickwalled early masterings.

The box set was in such beautiful mint condition that I made a rookie error in not checking all the discs.

The protective foam in the fatboy case of Concerts in China had decomposed and eaten through CD2 !!!!

Thankfully the discs are same as the standard issue - so I sourced an identical replacement disc on Discogs. This was well worth doing as the box now goes for around £70 in this condition.

As someone else said Zoolook is a cracking album.

Any fans on here?

Everyone knows Oxygene and Equinoxe, but any fans of his later output? I've been revisiting his back catalogue in the last few days having watched a documentary on how he came to make Oxygene and forgotten how good some of it is (some of it isn't so good I'll grant you).

Along with Kraftwerk and Joy Division, JMJ is the third in my trilogy of early musical influences that shaped a lot of my future listening habits.

Oxygene still sounds amazing today and it's hard to believe it was recorded in a kitchen on an 8 track in the long hot summer of 1976... nearly 50 years ago ... yikes I'm getting old.

Anyway what are people's favourites outside of his best known work? I rather like Oxymore, Electronica 1 & 2 and Metamorpheses.

Yes have a lot of JMJ, love Oxygene- never knew how it was recorded though! :eek:

All the albums from Oxygene to Cities In Concert and in nice non-brickwalled early masterings.

That looks really nice. I have the same ‘full silver’ West German Oxygene disc and it is a superb sounding CD, so if the rest are up to that standard it looks like a really nice set.

I dived into electronic music as soon as I was aware it existed and I’d certainly found Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream before Oxygene was a hit in the UK (1977). I certainly had Autobahn, TEE and Rubycon by that point. I remember thinking Oxygene was quite cheesy as I’ve always been far more interested in rhythm and texture rather than melody, but I warmed to it and still really like it, as I did to Giorgio Moroder’s stuff with Donna Summer around the same time. All this stuff has been part of my life since I was 13-14 or so and overlapped with shifting taste through eras of prog, punk, new-wave and ‘80s synth pop, indie, techno etc. I’ve always liked a good bleep.
Yes, JMJ always stuck me as the acceptable, overground face of electronic music, whereas Tangerine Dream were the real deal, known only to the hip.

Yes, JMJ always stuck me as the acceptable, overground face of electronic music, whereas Tangerine Dream were the real deal, known only to the hip.

Around 1985 I saw TD at Leicester De Montfort Hall...

...at Leicester Goldsmiths record library I was fondling a TD LP - when an Irish girl with the most alluring green eyes said "Do you like Tangerine Dream?"

When I said that I had recently seen them in concert - she was virtually in my bed.

Then she pulled "Unknown Pleasures" out from the "J" section...

... "Do you know what the hell this is?"

Game over - what a great summer!

advertisement

Back