advertisement

Met Police officer David Carrick admits to being serial rapist

What is your experience?
I was in the same year as a number of children who were interfered with, bullied, parents bullied, teachers bullied etc etc. What happened then still happens - rarely thank goodness, but it happens.

I was in the same year as a number of children who were interfered with, bullied, parents bullied, teachers bullied etc etc. What happened then still happens - rarely thank goodness, but it happens.
I am sorry about your past experiences, I can’t even start to imagine how difficult that is, but I have had to deal with children who can.

However, in my experience as a teacher and a case worker dealing with the sort of allegations we are talking about, any accusation of sexual or physical assault, in a state school at least, will be dealt with immediately. If anyone in the chain from teacher to Head Teacher did not refer up such an allegation, they would face serious consequences. At the level of a classroom teacher for instance, there are formal arrangements and safe guarding protocols meaning that a teacher should never be alone with a pupil. Not adhering to those guidelines will make it very difficult to mount a defence if an allegation is made.

Again, my thoughts are with you, but I do feel that children in state schools - Academies, Free schools and privates schools are to varying degrees a law unto themselves - are a lot safer than they might have been a few decades ago.

I must stress I was close to the terrible experiences but nothing happened to me. Seeing some of the stuff that went on at school wasn't very nice.

Met police on ‘last chance’ as Casey report to condemn failure to change
Exclusive: findings of official review due out on Tuesday described as ‘horrible’ and ‘atrocious’ for force

"The Metropolitan police service is riddled with deep-seated racism, sexism and homophobia and has failed to change despite numerous official reviews urging it to do so, an official report will say."

"The Met’s biggest recent disasters, such as the cases of Couzens and the serial rapist David Carrick, were not one-offs but symptomatic of how profound and serious its failings were allowed to become, the report will say. It will criticise poor past leadership and say pernicious cultures took hold and grew in the Met."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-as-casey-report-to-condemn-failure-to-change

Most of my teachers were good - just the one bad one. I reckon every pupil was rulered at least once (including the girls) and a couple of the boys slippered. We were just kids, from quite a nice part of the north east. He would carry out the punishments in front of the class and seemed to relish the theatre of it. He was religious and will almost certainly be dead by now and I hope rotting in hell.

Most of my teachers were good - just the one bad one. I reckon every pupil was rulered at least once (including the girls) and a couple of the boys slippered. We were just kids, from quite a nice part of the north east. He would carry out the punishments in front of the class and seemed to relish the theatre of it. He was religious and will almost certainly be dead by now and I hope rotting in hell.
I've liked this but I certainly don't 'like' it. I sometimes see a guy popping up on Facebook and remember the terrible treatment he was subject to. It makes me sad because I can't believe he doesn't carry it with him now.

Note to say that this teacher could have been a cub scout leader, doctor, community policeman, vicar - anyone who had trust of society and would be free to do as they pleased. It was just a shame that it was a teacher who had daily exposure to this lad (and many others).

I've liked this but I certainly don't 'like' it. I sometimes see a guy popping up on Facebook and remember the terrible treatment he was subject to. It makes me sad because I can't believe he doesn't carry it with him now.

Note to say that this teacher could have been a cub scout leader, doctor, community policeman, vicar - anyone who had trust of society and would be free to do as they pleased. It was just a shame that it was a teacher who had daily exposure to this lad (and many others).

Thank you for your support. As you can probably tell from my posts on PF, it didn't stop me from developing into a well rounded individual. Mr.Spencely was also a very poor educator which was such a waste of our enquiring minds - we were aged 9 going on 10. My experience doesn't make me think all teachers are bad just as in the same way I don't believe all police officers in the Met are bad despite the recent press.

I once went out with a girl a lot younger than me who had nasty raised scars on her left hand where she was beaten with a cane for being left handed by the nuns in her Convent school.

My experience doesn't make me think all teachers are bad just as in the same way I don't believe all police officers in the Met are bad despite the recent press.

Where are these voices? Why have they not been demanding change? Funnily enough the teachers' union magazine used to advertise canes bitd too. Today's report is a serious blight on the whole service

Where are these voices? Why have they not been demanding change? Funnily enough the teachers' union magazine used to advertise canes bitd too. Today's report is a serious blight on the whole service
The ‘rotten apple’ theory has been comprehensively discredited by events of the last few years. Yet its adherents cling on tenaciously as they have no other explanation why the police behave as they do.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-64989418

Hard to understand keeping a job after gross misconduct, but I’m equally struggling with her having been found not guilty by a jury, and then guilty of gross misconduct. How does that work ?

I was a shop steward for 30 years. In that time I can’t remember a single person who kept their job after ‘Gross Misconduct’ charges were substantiated. Feckin’ outrageous.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-64989418
Yes. My experience as a caseworker for a union is the same. Fact of the matter is that in my profession a Gross Misconduct allegation would be the end of a members career even after being found not guilty.

Hard to understand keeping a job after gross misconduct, but I’m equally struggling with her having been found not guilty by a jury, and then guilty of gross misconduct. How does that work ?
The court would have been a criminal charge, with the attendant standard of proof. It’s not unusual for behaviour to be gross misconduct, but not to stray into criminal territory. The court case comes first, so any disciplinary findings don’t prejudice the jury.

The court would have been a criminal charge, with the attendant standard of proof. It’s not unusual for behaviour to be gross misconduct, but not to stray into criminal territory. The court case comes first, so any disciplinary findings don’t prejudice the jury.

Indeed. But I’m this case the behaviour did ‘stray into criminal territory.’ It strayed so far that the CPS authorised charges, and there were two trials.

it then looks like the relevant authorities don’t like that outcome, so they go for a lower level of proof with an internal disciplinary process.

Indeed. But I’m this case the behaviour did ‘stray into criminal territory.’ It strayed so far that the CPS authorised charges, and there were two trials.
It’s for the court, and jury to decide, not the CPS. The CPS decides if there is enough of a prima facie case with evidence to put before the court, but doesn’t presume guilt.

advertisement

Back