advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

Such an essential record, you absolutely need a nice copy of that one! Everyone does. Unquestionably one of the best Blue Notes.

PS Amazon currently have it for just over £23, so cheaper than San Francisco, but still not £20.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Such an essential record, you absolutely need a nice copy of that one! Everyone does. Unquestionably one of the best Blue Notes.

Absolutely essential. I have a European pressed '75 but this is noticably better. I wish I could see them before buying. I did get these two from Amazon, which I don't usually do, but they seem to be new and sealed.

Absolutely essential. I have a European pressed '75 but this is noticably better. I wish I could see them before buying. I did get these two from Amazon, which I don't usually do, but they seem to be new and sealed.

It certainly suggests Blue Note haven’t got the Classics as well sorted as we’d hoped. I still view these as very expensive records and given they cheap-out on the cover quality I expect perfect vinyl. I’ve been lucky with the Classics so far, even the early ones that shipped in the awful paper inners were ok after a good de-static and wet clean. I’ve only got seven of them, so not a huge sample group.

I’ve got loads of them and they’ve been through rough patches before. I remember sending a few back around the time of Out To Lunch, always infill, which I really hate: don’t mind the odd crackle. They returned to form after that, hopefully they will again.

The only disappointing sounding copy I have now is Page One (when a return wouldn't have led to a replacement as they were selling out almost immediately.) I'll buy a recent copy to try.

Donald Byrd - Street Lady being released end of March by Music on Vinylo_O. Can't see that being up to Classic standard but stranger things have happened.

Donald Byrd - Street Lady being released end of March by Music on Vinylo_O. Can't see that being up to Classic standard but stranger things have happened.

Slight aside. I'm missing a bunch of CBS Miles titles and the only affordable way to get them on vinyl seems to be the Music On Vinyl reissues from a while back. Anyone have an opinion on them?

I think a lot of MOV records are from digital. The couple I have sound decent but nothing to shout about.

I suspect you'd be better off buying the red/orange label CBS reissues from the late 70s and 80s. Can't imagine they are that expensive. Probably not that different price-wise from the MOVs.

Just got round to Bluesnik. An album I really like while recognising it ain’t breaking no new ground. Just a lovely swinging session. Vinyl is immaculate, and the Classic mastering is bang on I reckon.

The next two BN Classics are up as pre orders on Amazon and Juno records. At present both a bit over £26 on Amazon and £24.50 on Juno. 17th March release date.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BS1QM3WY/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BS1R425W/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I have pre ordered the Herbie Hancock as I definitely need a better pressing of that. I am holding fire on the Sam Rivers at present as I have two other pressings of that. It is an essential (as are both)and I’m guessing the BN Classic will be better than the BN75 and the Heavenly Sweetness I have, but I am trying to cut back a bit on all these reissues because of expense and also lack of space.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I think a lot of MOV records are from digital. The couple I have sound decent but nothing to shout about.

I suspect you'd be better off buying the red/orange label CBS reissues from the late 70s and 80s. Can't imagine they are that expensive. Probably not that different price-wise from the MOVs.

Thanks. I have a bunch of the CBS titles on domestic and Japanese pressings but some of the early 70s electric stuff seems tricky to find in decent condition without paying through the nose.

Slight aside. I'm missing a bunch of CBS Miles titles and the only affordable way to get them on vinyl seems to be the Music On Vinyl reissues from a while back. Anyone have an opinion on them?

I’d approach with caution as most electric-era Miles titles are very long playing, anything up to half an hour a side. Lovely to have originals as artefacts, but I tend to play the CDs of the ones I have.

My copy of Empyrean Isles is arriving tomorrow. I’m still trying to decide if I need a better(?) copy of Fuchsia Swing song as I have a couple of fairly good pressings.

The next two BN Classics Johnny Cole’s ‘Little Johnny ‘C’ and Dizzy Reece ‘Star Bright’ are up for pre order on Amazon for £20.99. I have the Music Matters of ‘Little Johnny ‘C’, but have ordered ‘Star Bright’

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BWK2NHB4/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BWK1Z3PC/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Picked up Empyrean Isles today. Unfortunately it's a duff pressing - lots of clicks & pops on Oliloqui Valley. Hopefully the replacement will be better. Not a good day as my local store had also sold out of Sam Rivers :(

Picked up Empyrean Isles today. Unfortunately it's a duff pressing - lots of clicks & pops on Oliloqui Valley. Hopefully the replacement will be better. Not a good day as my local store had also sold out of Sam Rivers :(

I've couple of minor clicks on side 2 for 15 or so seconds - most audible during the quiet section on The Egg. Not bad enough to return it but not quite up the the quality of previous classics which have been more or less faultless.

advertisement

Back