advertisement

No more internet contracts

everyone i know has a phone, so if they come round, they don't need my wifi.

...but the point was, OP is running a business, and someone said if he takes his phone away from the premises, others in the business are stuck for access.

So I said - the OP keeps a business phone at the garage to do this, separate from his personal phone. Which he takes away with him.

That's what I took from it.

I have zero phone reception at home, absolutely nothing. And that is three different networks I've tried so a home internet connection is a must here.

I have zero phone reception at home, absolutely nothing. And that is three different networks I've tried so a home internet connection is a must here.
It won't be long before that lack of coverage will start devaluing house prices

Its fascinating that people moan what we pay for broadband, have you seen what they pay in the US?
I pay 62 quid a month for 1gig broadband from virgin.

On the basis its where 70% of my work emanates, 100% of where my wifes work come from and transfers circa 50 gigs a day of entertainment via youtube, amazon, netflix, tidal etc for 4 of us, I thinks its bloody great value.

50 G a day! Impressive. When I am away from home for extended periods (up to 10 weeks) I rely on a cellular data and don’t think I use half that a month. But I don’t try to stream video content. I either simply use my phone as a hotspot or a giffgaff SIM in a tiny wifi dongle thingy. Upside: “I’m on cell data” is a good excuse to not have to turn on my camera on zoom.

Its fascinating that people moan what we pay for broadband, have you seen what they pay in the US?
I pay 62 quid a month for 1gig broadband from virgin.

On the basis its where 70% of my work emanates, 100% of where my wifes work come from and transfers circa 50 gigs a day of entertainment via youtube, amazon, netflix, tidal etc for 4 of us, I thinks its bloody great value.
I've not noticed any moaning.

I recently set up a new business, working from a garage where internet cable connection would have been expensive, so I decided to try usb tethering the laptop to my phone. It turns out it is just as fast as an internet connection. So I tried it at home. Again, no problems using the phone for streaming music and video etc to other devices via tethering or bluetooth. So I cancelled my internet contract there also. I'm now up 100 euros a month across both properties.

Is this the way it is going to go? It seems completely pointless having internet connection for me. I'm not even a light user, I manage shopify websites for a living. Are millions of other people wasting their money having a phone and internet contract?
I’ve done exactly this for years. It gives me unlimited internet access anywhere there’s coverage. A fixed connection would cost the same & I see no point in paying for a phone plan as well. The phone plan is throttled after I’ve exhausted my generous full speed data allocation but I normally don’t get that far, & the reduced speed only affects video anyway.

When in the very rare instances the mobile network has gone down it’s always been a consequence of the land network shitting itself one way or another, as mobile is connected to it.

It’s trivial to have a cheap backup phone in case of the main one being lost, & free wifi is everywhere. I was in this situation a few weeks ago in fact & coped just fine with my laptop until I could replace my phone.

I recently set up a new business, working from a garage where internet cable connection would have been expensive, so I decided to try usb tethering the laptop to my phone. It turns out it is just as fast as an internet connection. So I tried it at home. Again, no problems using the phone for streaming music and video etc to other devices via tethering or bluetooth. So I cancelled my internet contract there also. I'm now up 100 euros a month across both properties.

Is this the way it is going to go? It seems completely pointless having internet connection for me. I'm not even a light user, I manage shopify websites for a living. Are millions of other people wasting their money having a phone and internet contract?
For business use, I gave up my landlines and 'business' Internet a good while back. I pay Tamar Telecom twelve pounds a month to port what were my two landlines numbers through to a mobile. I have two mobiles on two different networks. One provides a mobile hotspot for my laptop and work chromecast also a card payment terminal.
I save around thousand pounds per year on what BT Business were charging me.

advertisement

Back