advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

The theory was that offset suspension was advantageous for cars that only ever turned one way. In fact, it brought disadvantages of its own and was never widely adopted.

Oh dear, it seems Leclerc went through his two ECU annual allowance in Bahrain, so has to take a 10 place grid penalty in Saudi. Unless you believe that was just huge misfortune, and Ferrari have completely understood the failure modes and fixed the ECU issues so they will not need any more this year ... we might just see further ECU grid penalites for Leclerc, and who knows, Sainz too :( I don't think many fans give a monkeys about how many ECUs a team uses, surely they meet the cost limits or they don't. Time to get rid of this nonsense, nobody is going to design an ECU to expire on purpose to gain performance are they?!

I think the ECU per se is an FIA mandated component and it would be surprising if its failure were penalised, or tolerated. Reports talk about 'control electronics power unit component' so perhaps that's part of the battery management, and hence a Ferrari part.

I don't see an FIA document referencing this component change, so perhaps it's not official yet. It may add a tiny bit of interest to figure out what it all means.

I think the ECU per se is an FIA mandated component and it would be surprising if its failure were penalised, or tolerated. Reports talk about 'control electronics power unit component' so perhaps that's part of the battery management, and hence a Ferrari part.

I don't see an FIA document referencing this component change, so perhaps it's not official yet. It may add a tiny bit of interest to figure out what it all means.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/l...lty-after-bahrain-f1-engine-trouble/10443704/

It's not the ECU as you might know it from a road car, for ignition and fuelling map / control. Those are indeed 'standard' FIA parts and common to all the cars, made my McLaren.

The issue with Leclerc's car was with the control electronics for the energy store, which I believe is specific to each manufacturer and is usually bundled together with the li-ion battery. The teams have two units for the season, and they were suspicious of the no.1 unit after quali so they replaced it with the second, which then appears to have had a further problem.

Reminds me very much of my Strada Abarth, with rear lights that frequently made it look like a mobile disco.

Hardly.

A person in job involving huge amount of international travel away from her husband and children leaves to do something else after 7 years with the most successful driver ever.

Maybe..i indeed hope you’re right of course!

but in my experience, often when cracks begin to appear some people do jump ship early. It cant have been a stress free life in the Mercedes garage in the last year or two…but Angela dosent strike me as that type but you never know..as I said, I hope you’re right :)

Hardly.

A person in job involving huge amount of international travel away from her husband and children leaves to do something else after 7 years with the most successful driver ever.
The only slightly odd side to this is the timing and the statement with immediate effect.

It may have been decided some time ago and not unreasonably they wanted to keep it secret.

In my experience Lewis is harder to work with when things aren't going well. He has had a long time winning and so coming down from that may be a bit more difficult for him.

Mike Elliot and his team looked to have a really good concept with the reduced drag (through more efficient cooling) and hence higher efficiency car, but they have failed to get it it to work in 2 years and so it looks like they will have to accept change, which will not be easy for the egos there to accept.

advertisement

Back