advertisement

Gary Lineker vs. BBC

I left because of the way cishets had stoked transphobia, the physical threats, the attacks, the checking for spit in my coffee — attempts to delegitimise my existence and genocidal language used by not only the people of that country, but the establishment — the way the government and the whole media has weaponised and normalised hating my kind, the chronic underfunding and lack of access to treatment services. Waiting 3 years for throat surgery, 5 years for trans people to get PrEP because we are funnelled into GICs… that’s a death sentence.

That and so much more.

Nowhere is perfect but I am with my circle of friends and partners and lovers with plenty of us to band together and they are people worth fighting with and for. I have nothing for me in the UK. I doubt I will be returning permanently after I have closed my tax and property affairs — nor will I seek dual citizenship.

England can drown in its own bile. It has so much further to fall.

So sorry to read of this. I know you've posted instances of your bad experiences on here before, and it's all so depressingly backward and callous. I'm glad you've found a place amongst people who care for you. In the end that's all you can ask for.

I understand Les Douanes have more power than all other police departments in France. One to avoid.
Revenue and Customs in the UK can enter your house without a warrant, and dismantle your car at Customs and leave you to put it back together. Unless the rules have changed, of course.

I left because of the way cishets had stoked transphobia, the physical threats, the attacks, the checking for spit in my coffee — attempts to delegitimise my existence and genocidal language used by not only the people of that country, but the establishment — the way the government and the whole media has weaponised and normalised hating my kind, the chronic underfunding and lack of access to treatment services. Waiting 3 years for throat surgery, 5 years for trans people to get PrEP because we are funnelled into GICs… that’s a death sentence.

That and so much more.

Nowhere is perfect but I am with my circle of friends and partners and lovers with plenty of us to band together and they are people worth fighting with and for. I have nothing for me in the UK. I doubt I will be returning permanently after I have closed my tax and property affairs — nor will I seek dual citizenship.

what country have you moved to?

I am glad you found a better place, and the experiences you have stated are not acceptable however they would be a minority of small minded people carrying on like that. The UK has a lot going for it and many of its citizens like living here and are good generous people, not really nice slagging the country off repeatedly.

I am glad you found a better place, and the experiences you have stated are not acceptable however they would be a minority of small minded people carrying on like that. The UK has a lot going for it and many of its citizens like living here and are good generous people, not really nice slagging the country off repeatedly.

Hate crimes against trans people in the UK increased by 56% in 2022. The government has declared it will fight the next election on a platform of hating on trans people.

In my experience most people are nice. But it's disingenuous to ignore the fact that the UK has a serious problem with transphobia.

I don't blame Claire for being angry. Kudos to her for taking control of her life and making her home in a less toxic environment.

There is also plenty against it to be honest. I certainly don’t blame those who want to leave, we left 12 years ago and would never want to go back.

there are pros and cons with every country-where have you emigrated to?

Hate crimes against trans people in the UK increased by 56% in 2022. The government has declared it will fight the next election on a platform of hating on trans people.

In my experience most people are nice. But it's disingenuous to ignore the fact that the UK has a serious problem with transphobia.

I don't blame Claire for being angry. Kudos to her for taking control of her life and making her home in a less toxic environment.

many improvements are required in many areas, however is the UK not super strict on discrimination? many laws in place and getting used if required .

just interested to know where these other perfect countries are.

just interested to know where these other perfect countries are.

There's lots of data comparing LGBT equality in different countries. For example the ILGA Rainbow Map produces indexes on various issues.

They rank the UK worse on gender recognition than most of the rest of western Europe.

ehI9tpr.png

P.S. Here's The Guardian - supposed voice of the UK progressive Left - reporting today on the funeral of Brianna Ghey.

Despite all the complaints about the initial coverage of her murder they still insist on degendering her. The accused are a 'boy' and a 'girl'. She is a genderless 'teenager'.

It's disrespectful and transphobic and deliberate.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ral-hundreds-pay-tribute-to-murdered-teenager

It is a terrifying statistic, made all the more appalling by the fact right-wing aspects of government both here and in America are very actively driving this hatred. As I’ve said many times I honestly thought we were done with this. I thought logic had won thanks to folk like Wendy Carlos, Jayne County, Sophie Wilson etc paving the way a lifetime ago. Even if some religious or other folk didn’t understand, or even feared it, there wasn’t the active persecution. We are now at the stage the Chairman of the Conservative Party has pledged to make the active persecution of trans people a core election strategy. In case anyone thinks I am exaggerating here it is in his own words (Twitter). This is where we are in the UK right now. I never thought I would ever have to see this sort of shit in mainstream politics. The UK Conservative Party, like their Trump-right Republican equivalents, are the very worst of humanity.

PS If anyone wants to deep dive the current heartbreaking story from within the trans community search for Eden Knight. Yet another trans person driven to suicide by persecution and enforced detransitioning. A complex story as she was a Saudi national, but the core aspects took place in America. It highlights a lot of ways civil rights are simply evaporating. Those of us outside of this community really need to wake the hell up and stand behind the basic concepts of human rights and personal choice as that is what this is about. It is at its core a minority of very vulnerable people fighting state sanctioned authoritarian bigotry.

P.S. Here's The Guardian - supposed voice of the UK progressive Left - reporting today on the funeral of Brianna Ghey.

Despite all the complaints about the initial coverage of her murder they still insist on degendering her. The accused are a 'boy' and a 'girl'. She is a genderless 'teenager'.

It's disrespectful and transphobic and deliberate.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ral-hundreds-pay-tribute-to-murdered-teenager

Did you read the entire report? I lost count of the numbers of 'she' and 'her'...

Did you read the entire report? I lost count of the numbers of 'she' and 'her'...

The BBC referred to her as a "16-year-old transgender girl". Even The Mail used the term "trans girl" in their report.

The Graun writer pretty much has no choice but to use a pronoun - but they can avoid using the word "girl" and so they do.

edit: and I realise that some might see this as a pretty trivial distinction - but after all the outcry when the word 'girl' was removed from initial reports of Brianna's murder I honestly believe this is a deliberate choice by The Guardian.

In other news...

Trans Journalists Pull Out of Guardian Newspaper’s Pride Coverage
Columnist James Wong leaves The Observer and claims ‘institutionalised transphobia’

The BBC referred to her as a "16-year-old transgender girl". Even The Mail used the term "trans girl" in their report.

The Graun writer pretty much has no choice but to use a pronoun - but they can avoid using the word "girl" and so they do.

In other news...

Trans Journalists Pull Out of Guardian Newspaper’s Pride Coverage
Columnist James Wong leaves The Observer and claims ‘institutionalised transphobia’
etc etc
The Guardian is a cesspit.

See also, the Nick Cohen saga.

That and so much more.

What about Wales, Scotland and N.I.?

You seem to have a surprising amount of trouble accepting that different countries operate according to different rules.

When you first arrive, it's no surprise that you feel there are a lot of things that are not right. You could take my comments in the context I wrote them, in that after 6 years things feel more settled for me. Is this unusual, for an expat to need time to accept the differences? Finally, my comment says that in fact France is a marginally better place to live than UK. So your comment seems judgemental and lacks balance.

You never seem to have a bad word for other countries. Why is that? Are they all wonderful? I'm also struggling to recall a post from you where you write anything positive about the UK or offer it some defence when people here are far more negative about it than I am France. For example, are you not interested in finding out what the plenty of things are that are bad about the UK that Neilr claims exist? In a few weeks I'll repackage his thoughts but replace UK for France.....see what response it gets in comparison. You'd be the first out the traps to pull me up on it.

Revenue and Customs in the UK can enter your house without a warrant, and dismantle your car at Customs and leave you to put it back together. Unless the rules have changed, of course.
Don't they need to have reason to suspect something is wrong, though? This rabble were just walking through the carriages harrassing everybody.

That and so much more.

Where do you live now?

I wasn't anywhere near a border. Its not just the people near the borders they don't trust. It's everybody.

The poster I replied to was talking about the UK and we can't even resource the checks we are supposed to be doing (see link). FWIW Rich, I thought your comments were quite balanced.

But I too spend plenty of time in France and it cannot escape your notice how the dynamic is changing and fast. The fuel and food prices in France had briefly reached parity after many years of being cheaper but that has changed again. To that I would now add availability as a contrast point. As for UK roads and infrastructure, the UK is (to borrow a Johnson phrase) world leading - in the wrong way.

For a so-called first world country, they are abysmal and that is getting worse by the day - see also the huge increase in unrepaired drainage. The reduction in proactive tree felling and verge maintenance means more service interruptions. Then there is the non-existent litter control even in rural areas. In short, the place is increasingly looking more like a dump and over much wider areas. Not signs of a country on the up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61259832

advertisement

Back