advertisement

What are you cooking tonight?

Pukka steak and kidney pie for me, salmon croute for Mrs Jamie and sausage roll for the boy. He does not like Morrisons sausage rolls, wanted a Gregg's one, but I got one from the work canteen today to warm up, as I told him they were like Gregg's. We'll see. With chunky chips and beanz (but not with the salmon!).

Nowt. I'm going to snag a pizza at a cafe here in Naples and then a few beers in the Centro Storico. Caffe del Centro Storico, for sure, and some other places nearby. It's a bit damp, but it's the last night of the hols so I'm going out.

Sausage stew type thing

g3hpqf.jpeg

Sort of spag bol

x6z3lu.jpeg

I speak the truth, the national pie competition in Melton Mowbray says so - shrugs shoulders
For pork pies, maybe. Other pies, other rules.
I've manufactured thousands of the things. With and without bottom crust. All pies. -shrugs shoulders in return. -

Had a flash fried Kowloon type of pie done in the slow cooker, the crust was to die for. It was a mixture of fish fingers tripe whelk and horse manure with a hint of humming bird shin soaked in box jellyfish. With chips and brownbread. Followed by a cup of tea and a blue riband.

What’s more depressing is that sentence applies to every single packaged foodstuff I have purchased recently. Shrinkflation is so rife that certain things will soon be invisible.

For pork pies, maybe. Other pies, other rules.
I've manufactured thousands of the things. With and without bottom crust. All pies. -shrugs shoulders in return. -

I find pastry all round is too much for a small pie thus appreciate the trend to just put on a crust.

Next large pork pie i'm contemplating a suet crust all round as it's hard to keep hot water crust thin enough.

There used to be a local butcher in Heaton who produced pork pies with a lovely thin crispy case, very little of the doughy stuff the chickens eat.

Got a pan of braising steak smokey bacon garlicy herby spag bol on the go simmering away. Just hoping the smokey bacon doesnt over power the taste.

Have in mind a seafood rice this evening (just looked in the freezer). Cod, prawns, squid, chorizo and a sprinkle of smoked paprika if it needs a further lift.

Rib eye, PSB, hot tomato compote and chips tonight.

Trying a new butcher and they've been good so far.

Just had wonky avocado and salmon on toast so feel like a bit of exercise and no lunch.

advertisement

Back