advertisement

Buying a new CD player in 2023

redeye

pfm Member
Hi all. Some advice appreciated please. Ken, neighbour and friend, has finally had his Naim CDI die and cannot be fixed (no laser mech exists). I suggested a second hand CDX2 but Ken is Ken - “ I don’t do second hand, Mike”. No surprise there and I have no idea what is good and what isn’t. He wants something at least as good as his CDI.
And just so you know he won’t touch a streamer or similar with a barge pole he tells me.
Any bright ideas folks? Thanks

The latest Rega Saturn is worth a listen… or if he truly wants something to better the CDI, and he has deep pockets, a Rega Isis. Exposure are well worth a look.
If he wants Naim, his only option is a CD5si, because it’s the only machine they still make… I have one, and I think it sounds, looks and feels great… is it as good as a CDI? Not sure. Different, it’s not a TDA 1541 machine, but it’s still a Naim.

The Audio House has/had a NOS (new old stock) Exposure MCX available. 3 yr warranty. Very good player.

No idea what his budget is, but purely on the ability to get support in years to come I would look at Rega or Hegel. The latter makes the Mohican player which is one of the best players I have ever heard, looks aesthetically lovely and has two spare mechs at the factory for each one sold so it can give a lifelong service. It's around £3.5K though. I nearly bought one but plumped for a Rega Isis instead. There was very very little to choose between them and if the Isis hadn't come up second-hand just at the right time I'd have had the Mohican.

P.S. Totally with him on streaming!

Actually, scrap my recommendation. Tell Derek to get an Innuos Zenith MK3 and rip all his CDs whether he wants to or not. Later he might discover the joys of streaming by mistake.

No idea what his budget is, but purely on the ability to get support in years to come I would look at Rega or Hegel. The latter makes the Mohican player which is one of the best players I have ever heard, looks aesthetically lovely and has two spare mechs at the factory for each one sold so it can give a lifelong service. It's around £3.5K though. I nearly bought one but plumped for a Rega Isis instead. There was very very little to choose between them and if the Isis hadn't come up second-hand just at the right time I'd have had the Mohican.

P.S. Totally with him on streaming!

Long term support? Rega, certainly. Hegel, possibly. They haven't been around for as long and they have no UK Distributor. If repairs are required then they might involve a trip to Oslo and back. Expensive and a right hassle, if VAT and possibly tariffs are to be avoided when the unit comes back in to the UK. (I fully appreciate that there are arrangements in place of temporary export, but the correct procedure and forms are required). Exposure; in the UK and support in the UK.

I think the Mohican is discontinued @tiggers. It's hard to look beyond Rega these days for serious CD.

Well, not really. Accuphase and Esoteric; both very high build quality and support in the UK. Moon; again, good UK support. Exposure have a new 35 series CD soon as well.

Well, not really. Accuphase and Esoteric; both very high build quality and support in the UK. Moon; again, good UK support. Exposure have a new 35 series CD soon as well.

Audio Note perhaps. There are bits and pieces around if can find them.

Sounds like the Rega Isis is the best choice for him . Sound quality , reliability and longevity.

If looking for something 'better' than a Saturn, then it's the ISIS. The OP states that this has to be a new purchase (others posters please note). The ISIS is £7.5k. It's not competitive at that price point, imo&e.

The Roksan Blak is easy to audition if you have a Richer Sounds close by.

I have had mine a while, and I believe the reproduction is quite something.
It competes with my record turntables without sounding like a c.d. player.

Price hovering below £3k

advertisement

Back