advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

We have an air temp of -20C and a windchill of -34C forecast for this Saturday morning so our local Parkrun sent out a cancellation notice - very wise. Perfect weather for riding the spin bike in the basement while watching the Six Nations matches.
My goals for this year are a 10k at the end of April (first 10k in ~20 years, not counting triathlons), an olympic/standard distance tri in June, couple of shorter tris over the summer, then maybe a half marathon (first ever) in October - all dependent on health and lack of injury. Last year I was sick from April through August - suspected long Covid, and 2021 I spent the spring and summer nursing a sore IT band - hopefully 2023 will be a bit more productive.
Anyone else have any plans / goals for the year ?

Piglet's - great to see steady progress. I hope you continue to make progress.

I finished 2022 with mixed emotions. I had just completed the Amsterdam Marathon in October then quickly caught 3 colds in a row. On top of that a routine DEXA scan showed I had borderline Osteopenia/Osteoporosis. On seeing a consultant I'm told that 30k a week is too much, even though it's a recommended exercise. So, starting a treatment plan and probably going to augment less running with weights. It's annoying, my mental health really appreciates a long run and this knocked it for six. Does anyone else have experience of this?

Sorry to hear that @MJS . My mother has terrible osteoporosis, and I have a slight build so it's on my mind. Doing weights a couple of times a week seems like a very good idea as you age. This reputable web site (https://health.clevelandclinic.org/the-best-workouts-for-osteoporosis/) suggests :

Most of us don’t lift as much weight as we should. To determine how much weight you should be lifting, search for a “1-Rep Max” calculator available on many websites. Then aim for 70 to 80% of your 1 Rep Max.

70 to 80% of your 1 Rep Max works out at around 10 reps - so in other words you must lift weights heavy enough that you cannot do more than 10 reps. (I used this calculator https://strengthlevel.com/one-rep-max-calculator and entered an arbitrary 100lb with 1 rep)

Percentage of 1RM Lift Weight Repetitions of 1RM
100% 100 lb 1
95% 95 lb 2
90% 90 lb 4
85% 85 lb 6
80% 80 lb 8
75% 75 lb 10
70% 70 lb 12
65% 65 lb 16

I was a little surprised at the recommendation, because it means that push ups, where I can comfortably do 25-30 are apparently nowhere near hard enough to stimulate bone growth. Similarly, resistance bands don't provide sufficient resistance. This is annoying as it's handy NOT having to go to a gym, especially during cold / covid surges.

I usually go to the gym and lift heavy weights once a week, and then do "what I can" at home the rest of the time. A chin-up bar is easy to install at home, and should fall into the "fewer than 10 reps" category unless you are a super athlete (I'm not).

Reactions: MJS
Planning on doing the Manchester 10K in May and then have thrown my name in the hat for a charity place for the GNR again. Been a frustrating few months, rested for a bit too long after the GNR last year to try and clear up a few niggles, then a series of colds, viruses and some dreadful weather have made getting back on it a pain. Joined a gym after Christmas to avoid making weather excuses but have just picked up another horrid virus. Hopefully this will be the last one. Had just got to the stage of enjoying it again and started to enjoy it. I’d even lashed out on some new gear and a pair of new shoes in the sale (still in the car so Mrs Summit doesn’t shout at me…)

Planning on doing the Manchester 10K in May and then have thrown my name in the hat for a charity place for the GNR again. Been a frustrating few months, rested for a bit too long after the GNR last year to try and clear up a few niggles, then a series of colds, viruses and some dreadful weather have made getting back on it a pain. Joined a gym after Christmas to avoid making weather excuses but have just picked up another horrid virus. Hopefully this will be the last one. Had just got to the stage of enjoying it again and started to enjoy it. I’d even lashed out on some new gear and a pair of new shoes in the sale (still in the car so Mrs Summit doesn’t shout at me…)

I've had a similar run of mild but annoying viral infections (and a sinus infection). I know a number of people here in Massachusetts who have had 3 week bouts of congestion and sinus problems. Still, considering the amount of flu and covid about this winter I probably shouldn't complain.

We should all count our blessings. At least it’ll be spring soon. Annoyingly the wrist bastard has moved my VO2 max down from 51 to 45. I’d also forgotten just how much I dislike treadmills. Good for speed work though. Not that I have any pace at the moment.

I finished 2022 with mixed emotions. I had just completed the Amsterdam Marathon in October then quickly caught 3 colds in a row. On top of that a routine DEXA scan showed I had borderline Osteopenia/Osteoporosis. On seeing a consultant I'm told that 30k a week is too much, even though it's a recommended exercise. So, starting a treatment plan and probably going to augment less running with weights. It's annoying, my mental health really appreciates a long run and this knocked it for six. Does anyone else have experience of this?
That's a bugger. Have you considered buying a bike? That would get you the lengthy run out that you need, see places, no bone damage beause it's not load bearing.

I need to do load bearing exercise - I was just warned off excessive running by my consultant. We think 20k a week and some weights will be ok. I have considered a bike but the state of the roads and drivers round here are terrible.

That's three more Parkruns than I've done...great stuff!

We had a club outing to Forest of Dean parkrun, near Christchurch. Lovely course, folded up in a bit of woodland at the edge of the town. Not muddy, but uneven surfaces with lots of leaves hiding stones. Much smaller field, only 98, 14 from my club. Jogged round very comfortably with one of the other people from my club, 36 mins. Afterwards, went into Ledbury on the way back, for coffee and papers.

I bought a Garmin forerunner last week at the behest of my wife, so that she can get an alert if I should take a tumble while out cycling (she saw an apple watch commercial). I joined the pfm strava, but since I have only done a bike ride with the garmin it didn't sync to the pfm strava group (presumably because it's not a multisport group). Hopefully future runs will show up there.

Legs aching like hell today. Went out for 5k on Saturday, then a rather boozy afternoon in the pub watching the rugby....so thought I'd go out for a slightly longer one on Sunday morning to run it off....two days in a row....my legs do not appreciate..!
It's that time of year when I just lose all enthusiasm, which doesn't help. I guess it's the same for most.
I keep telling myself I'll go to Parkrun on Saturday...but doesn't quite happen. Definitely wouldn't happen if it was -20C outside! (Send my regards to James S, Sean99, assuming Jamaica Pond is still the local!?)
I'm sure I'll get back into it as the light continues to improve and the tracks dry up a bit. Need to enter a race for some motivation..
FWIW Lordy my VO2max has come down from 57 (last May) to 49...and I can really feel it! Just gotta get out more...The wrist bastard is the perfect description...though they are also very clever useful devices in so many ways now....alerts, music, payments etc.

Went to the gym to see how I held up, did 5k on the dreadmill. Better than nothing I guess. Have just got rid of another bug, and really didn’t want to go out in the cold. Weather was lovely earlier as well, but had no time then.

A chilly, bright morning - ideal for a gentle 8K. Back home for a glass of chocolate milk, a shower and a reviving mug of coffee. I do enjoy the flexibility of semi-retirement.

Speaking of weight training, I sustained calf injuries twice last year. Lost several months of running. I’m in my early 50s.

I now have a set rule that I lift weights twice a week or else I cannot run. I got out of that habit and the injuries commenced. I was skipping the weight training days and opting for runs or something else. Most everything I that have read indicates the best thing to counter running injuries is lifting weights.

Of course, I have yet to meet a doctor that focuses on lower body that has advocated running. They all seem to say it’s pretty much the worst thing and try swimming. I love running on most days and like the convenience (put some clothes on and out the door) as well as the passing scenery.

Reactions: MJS
I think the current evidence is that running is beneficial both for the knees and the spine, provided your form is OK and you don't run to excess (and I'd add try to avoid running down steep hills).

https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness/is-running-bad-for-your-knees#what-the-science-says
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/how-running-can-benefit-your-back/

Swimming is great, but will do nothing to help prevent osteoporosis since it's not weight bearing. (But best of all is triathlon since it combines multiple exercises).

I find the key to avoiding running injury is to warm up by running easy for the first mile, and then stretch afterward, and don't overdo it if you've been off for a while due to illness - get back in gently.

I set off this morning for a long run (by my standards) thinking I'd run 14 or 15K. Felt good at this point and was on track for a sub-2 hour half-marathon, so I kept on running and finished in 1 hour 59 mins 03 secs. Delighted, as I had hoped to go sub-2 hours on my half-marathon debut last year but I'd not taken account of the vast field of runners or the unseasonable warmth of October. This was just a solo outing for me but nevertheless very satisfying and a welcome distraction from my faltering attempts to run a sub-25 mins 5K. I'd better concentrate on that target now.

Club outing to Worcester Pitchcroft Parkrun, which is on tarmac paths round the outside of the race course. I had never been before, even though it is marginally my closest parkrun, dead flat and nice conditions with no wind, if cold. One and three quarter laps, no sharp corners. Started steadily, but allowed myself a bit more heart rate, and so went a bit faster, a few seconds under 30mins. Had a nice chat with a couple of people from my club as we ran round. No chest pain the day after, so that much heart rate is probably OK - but hard to know.

Just starting week 10 of a 36 week training programme (three blocks of 12). Still shit at running. Not giving in yet though. Still (somewhat) keeping the door everso slightly ajar for a possible event in September.

Just starting week 10 of a 36 week training programme (three blocks of 12). Still shit at running. Not giving in yet though. Still (somewhat) keeping the door everso slightly ajar for a possible event in September.

Don't tease - which September event? The Brutal 300 in Wales on September 8 sounds fun - to quote "Lap after lap after lap, until you either finish or go insane…"!

advertisement

Back