advertisement

Jazz Guitarist Recommendations.

The Jack Johnson Album above reminds of of the Wadada Leo Smith's Spiritual Dimensions with four guitarists...

Personnel...

Wadada Leo Smith – trumpet
Nels Cline – guitar
Michael Gregory – guitar
Brandon Ross – guitar
Lamar Smith – guitar
Okkyung Lee – cello
John Lindberg – double bass
Skuli Sverrisson – electric bass
Pheeroan AkLaff – drums

Henry Kaiser on the "Yo Miles" album can play a bit!

Apart from all the mainstream mentioned above, check out,
Ronny Jordan.
Bireli Lagrene.
Marc Antoine.
Peter White.
Martin Taylor.

I could go on a bit as I love jazz guitar in all of it's non fusion guises.

I consider Mark Ribot one of the great post 70's jazz players although he is left out of too many lists

Playing Coltrane - check the Sun Ship record

Or With Halverson and Jamaaladeen Tacuma doing Philly Soul from the Young Philadelphian's record which is basically Philly soul cross with Ornette's Prime time ( this is one of the best things ever btw - utterly noisy and joyous)

I love the way they play this funky noise using charts - proper muso stuff!

I also really rate his playing with John Zorn - the Bar Kokhba records are essential stuff.

While we're here......

Reactions: kjb
I only checked it out because a friend of mine sold an original copy on eBay recently for a LOT of money. Had to see what it was all about!

Hum Dono with Joe Harriott is another essential record by him - though even the reissues are going up in price now.

I also have Konkan Dance on CD which is really good. Vocalion were selling it for a fiver for a while but are now out of stock. Should still be possible to find fairly cheaply though.

Been mentioned before, but IMHO Joe Pass is in many ways the GOAT. Try "Virtuoso".

Hum Dono with Joe Harriott is another essential record by him - though even the reissues are going up in price now.

I also have Konkan Dance on CD which is really good. Vocalion were selling it for a fiver for a while but are now out of stock. Should still be possible to find fairly cheaply though.
Thanks Konkan Dance is on Tidal. And Hum Dono.

advertisement

Back