advertisement

Jazz Guitarist Recommendations.

wezzywest

pfm Member
I have been listening to Grant Green on Tidal, and this got me thinking about other Jazz guitarists who front bands. Who else would forum members recommend, and maybe your favourite album by them.
Cheers.

Thanks for all recommendations, i will check out all of them. I have had a recent epiphany for Jazz and whereas most of my listening has been piano, trumpet or Sax led bands, it got me thinking about guitarists who lead a band. So these replies are really helpful. Cheers.

3 greats. Not trying to out-do each other. Just playing. The tone control. Just amazing virtuosity. I love this concert.

I have just checked out the line up and had a quick listen, i will have a full listen tomorrow. This will be amazing, Thanks.

tumblr_omrdh5pwtk1qzy30io1_1280.png

I rather like Sonny Sharrock, first heard on Pharoah Sanders’ awesome Tauhid. Alternatively, Sonny’s solo debut, Black Woman, is another way of jumping in.

Also Bill Frizzell (check his work with Paul Motain on ECM, it is stunning).

PS If you really want to get out there try Derek Bailey!

Frisell Tony please. tut tut.

Yes, the Motian work is stunning especially “You took the words right out of my heart”, but his solo and small ensemble work is superb too. The recent albums with Thomas Morgan on bass are excellent and the live East West albums a little less Jazz focussed but also stellar.

I like Bill, a lot. (52 albums and counting) :D

I have been listening to Grant Green on Tidal, and this got me thinking about other Jazz guitarists who front bands. Who else would forum members recommend, and maybe your favourite album by them. Should be loads on Spotify. Joe Jones also played on a couple of cracking albums by the organist Sonny Phillips.
Cheers.
If you're looking for stuff in the same vein as Grant Green, the two obvious candidates would be George Benson and Wes Montgomery, which have already been mentioned. But two lesser known, and slightly funkier, people to listen to might be Boogaloo Joe Jones and Melvin Sparks, who recorded extensively for Prestige in the late 60's and early 70's.

advertisement

Back