advertisement

Triple pulley for Rega motor

Troy

Hi. Does anyone know of a UK based seller from where I can obtain a triple pulley for my Rega. I can source a double but the only other triple I have found is in the state's from tango spinner and the postage is extremely high. Regards, Troy.

May I suggest saving your pennys up and getting something like a P6, no such pully or other do-dads will bring your deck to these levels musically. Rega decks are a balanced culmination of parts that work in harmony with each other and improving one thing can sometimes bring to the surface other shortcomings, akin to putting a more powerful motor into your car but not upgrading your brakes, the car will go faster but now the brakes will overheat, so you change the brakes but now the suspension is too soft and nose dives & pushes uncontrollably under heavy braking, and so on..

Do you think there would be a benefit? More belts means more sideways force of the motor bearings and main bearing, so more friction and wear.

May I suggest saving your pennys up and getting something like a P6, no such pully or other do-dads will bring your deck to these levels musically. Rega decks are a balanced culmination of parts that work in harmony with each other and improving one thing can sometimes bring to the surface other shortcomings, akin to putting a more powerful motor into your car but not upgrading your brakes, the car will go faster but now the brakes will overheat, so you change the brakes but now the suspension is too soft and nose dives & pushes uncontrollably under heavy braking, and so on..
Many thanks for your interesting analogy.
I don't have a P6 and frankly couldn't run to that sort of money. However I have my own design modified Rega with fully isolated motor which I believe will give any P6 a good run for its money at half the price. Of course short of meeting up and arm wrestling!

Do you think there would be a benefit? More belts means more sideways force of the motor bearings and main bearing, so more friction and wear.
Hi Mr Pig. I am already running a triple pulley on my primary deck. The extra drive belts control the torque on startup even though one should of course push platter to start. The triple drive belts also help ensure consistent speed from the motor.

And of course the Naiad at £30,000 uses triple belt technology.

True, but it is designed from the ground up to use them. Bearing, motor and possibly motor spacing and therefore belt tension are all designed with the tension of three belts in mind. If you put three belts on a deck designed for one you are tripling the belt tension it was designed to work with. Good results are not a given.

The only other option is to commission a machine shop to make 1. I’d get them to make a few and sell a couple on to recoup your costs.

Though I still can’t recognise the need for 3 belts. I have 1 belt on my Orbe deck and that has a much heavier platter to turn.

2 belts and 3 motors, that's the way to go...:)

D4104-F53-D864-4-A55-95-F9-16-AE611-D2-C6-E.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Does that need three motors ?...wouldn't one motor and two jockey wheel pulleys have the same effect of distributing the forces around the inner platter ?

Hi. Does anyone know of a UK based seller from where I can obtain a triple pulley for my Rega. I can source a double but the only other triple I have found is in the state's from tango spinner and the postage is extremely high. Regards, Troy.

When I look the postage comes in at around £13 ....is that high for something shipped from the US ?

The Voyds used two (or three?) motors, and perhaps some of their Audio Note successors do as well.

Designers tend to either use a very heavy platter (Orbe etc) and its flywheel effect, or a relatively high torque motor, or some combination of the two to get a deck not only speed stable, but also speed-assured (slightly different).

Regas used a combination of these, such that the platter and bearing of something like a P3 is designed for use with its specified number of belts, as are the P8 and 10, both of which use dual belts (as did the P9 before them). The benefit of using two belts is that any inconsistency in one belt is to some extent negated by the other (and the difference in those Rega drives is clearly audible to my ears). The larger the number of belts, the more this effect is likely to diminish. Two is probably about right; not least because the taller motor spindle needed for three or more is likely to bring with it potentially serious problems, unless the deck is specifically designed for it.

I'm with tpetsch and Mr P on this. While of course the OP is free to experiment, in this context it is not likely to yield a better result.

advertisement

Back