advertisement

Any model makers here? This is a nice little add on.

Haha I remember the first time I travelled on French trains, and looking down the bog and seeing the tracks whizzing past.

I need a very small flat plate, say 6cm x 6cm, to mount a 12/2mm diameter on-off-on switch. It can be metal or plastic. It will enable me to feed a piece of track next to the diesel depot that can be either part of the main track buss, or using the switch can become the programming track.

Any ideas on where I get such a thing?

Yes - that kind of thing. I have facility to drill the 12mm hole, but I don’t have the tools to make a nice job of the edging, so it looks like a light switch plate, for example.

You spray/paint the rails, then run over the bit that touches the wheels with a track cleaner. You’re then left with a rusty side rail, but gleaming top rail. I haven’t got round to cleaning the top rails yet.
That sounds brilliant. As a retired driver that's how you see most rails in the UK, the damp air, drizzle etc all create an orange coat in a few hours, with a shiny strip from use. Use black for leaf-fall season, but the trains won't stop then! Look forward to seeing more pictures.

Yes - that kind of thing. I have facility to drill the 12mm hole, but I don’t have the tools to make a nice job of the edging, so it looks like a light switch plate, for example.
I’m sure you could find a local metal shop to crop it on a guillotine for beer money

I need a very small flat plate, say 6cm x 6cm, to mount a 12/2mm diameter on-off-on switch. It can be metal or plastic. It will enable me to feed a piece of track next to the diesel depot that can be either part of the main track buss, or using the switch can become the programming track. Any ideas on where I get such a thing?
That's a job for 10 mins in Tinkercad and a 3d printer. Honestly, get one and you'll be making anything and everything on it before long.

engine shed part finished by Andrew Clarke, on Flickr
Mash-up of 2 two lane Modelux engine sheds to make a four lane one. Part finished, obviously. Needs some touching up, windows adding, plus some glazing from clear plasticard - v fiddly. That might wait for another time as I want to get my track laid. Also commenced glueing the platform edging to the wood template. Also v fiddly.

Hopefully I might have platform 2/3 island nearly done tomorrow, so i can commence laying the track there as well.

steam and coaling 4-4-23 by Andrew Clarke, on Flickr

Update - this is now the steam shed, with mock up of coaling stage to the right, and scratch built catch point (kindly done by a friend visiting this weekend).

steam and coaling 2 4-4-23 by Andrew Clarke, on Flickr

Closer view, as above.

station platforms 4-4-23 by Andrew Clarke, on Flickr

This is the basic outline of the station. The platform to the left is platform 1, going noth towards the viaduct. Platforms 2 and 3 are to the centre of the shot. the slopes are not in their final positions, yet, for lots of reasons (need painting, for a start).

deiesel shed track rough positioning 4-4-23 by Andrew Clarke, on Flickr

This is a track mock-up of where a shiny (for the era) new diesel shed will go. It will access the turntable behind, which can just be seen.

Worth digging into the channel. I’m now part way through his Lamborghini Mura and the work is just astonishing with a lot of wire and soldering creating the chassis frame etc.

I do like watching stuff like this e.g. electronics restoration, luthiery, watchmaking, micro-soldering, wood-turning etc. My YouTube subscriptions is full of this kind of stuff to the extent I barely watch any terrestrial TV, films or drama anymore.

I rarely watch the tube, being busy painting and stuff till after supper, when it’s social time with the old girl. I think if it were on the telly I’d be digging through stuff.

I think if it were on the telly I’d be digging through stuff.

I use the YouTube app on my TV. I’m signed into it on the TV, and on my iPad, iPhone etc, so if I say brieflyclick on a Youtube link in a thread here on pfm it is then waiting in my ‘library’ on the TV. I’m subscribed to 400 YouTube channels or more so always plenty of interesting stuff waiting for me.

advertisement

Back