advertisement

Blue Monday turns 40

tobermory

pfm Member
Released 7th March 1983, wow seems like yesterday.

Was a life changing experience for your truly, aged 15 at the time. Up until this it had been all Visage, Ultravox, Duran Duran, the usual hipster dross you try to impress with at school. BM made them all irrelevant, and started me off as real music nut. Can still recall buying the earlier NO and JD stuff that summer, all at Subway Records (long gone) on West St in Brighton. Happy days.

And Blue Monday wouldn't have been Blue Monday had it not been for Enio Morricone and the tense riff he composed for the Serge Leone film For A Few Dollars More.

As well as Blue Monday’s distinctive Oberheim DMX thump, the Vako Orchestron (mentioned above for its use on Kraftwerk’s Uranium, sampled on FAC 73) is another for the synth shopping list.

The spooky choir comes from the optical Vocal Choir disc fed into the Orchestron...

087-F74-B6-757-F-46-FB-A8-DD-E49-EC345-BD71.jpg

A letter from Ralf, requesting a custom model.

Interesting read. A couple of thoughts:

Moroder is definitely an inspiration, but I thought it was "The Chase" from the "Midnight Express" soundtrack that was the main inspiration.

I'd always thought PSB's "In the Night" was moer influenced by the chord sequence from John Carpenter's theme for "Assault on Precinct 13".

ISTR reading an article in the dim and distant that they used an Osborne 1 as the sequencer and the original 'encore' track that it was meant to be was composed on it, only for it to crash and lose the data. B*ggerd if I can find that source.

Interesting read. A couple of thoughts:

Moroder is definitely an inspiration, but I thought it was "The Chase" from the "Midnight Express" soundtrack that was the main inspiration.

I'd always thought PSB's "In the Night" was moer influenced by the chord sequence from John Carpenter's theme for "Assault on Precinct 13".

ISTR reading an article in the dim and distant that they used an Osborne 1 as the sequencer and the original 'encore' track that it was meant to be was composed on it, only for it to crash and lose the data. B*ggerd if I can find that source.

Surprised to see Petridis pushing the lazy myth of the Bellville Three, they didn't even invent Detroit techno, never mind techno.

A record I bought on day of release. I’ll dig it out for a spin.

Same here, I was a big New Order fan back then, I purchased all the 1980’s albums on release and saw them live in January 1982 and August 1984.
But for some reason I sold all my 12” singles around 1990, and they included some good ‘uns, including Joy Division, The Cure, Gang of Four as well as New Order, and would probably be worth quite a tidy sum now.

advertisement

Back