advertisement

John o’ Groats to Land’s End virtual walk

Yes, they were in the wrong direction.

20230221124534-123b002e.jpg

Lower Largo beach….

until very recently, my mum lived just up the hill ( the serpentine ) in Upper Largo.

I hope you spotted the Robinson Crusoe house/statue !!!

BTW I spotted this in Balerno when walking the dogs earlier:

173439542.k1FY52IN.mb101.jpg
It’s humbling whenever local authorities want to mark my visit in some way - but for it to be rushed through within 24 hours is very unusual. That’s probably how the ‘s’ got left off.

Glad you had a peek at Moray Place- it’s one of the best Georgian Circuses anywhere in the UK and on a grand scale.
Yes, I’ve had a strong desire to live in Moray Place/Ainslie Place/Randolph Crescent since I saw a ‘this area through the ages’ type TV show some five or six years ago. On the whole the inhabitants seemed doddery and completely bonkers but generally harmless. ‘This is my true home,’ I immediately said to myself. All I need is a generous sponsor.

You should at least plan a very picturesque route down through the N York Dales, via say Wharfedale (seriously - the scenery is beautiful, even without Gilbert Briggs]

- and then say, a virtual near-miss with Our Dear Leader @Tony L /pfm zentraale: hence onwards via MOSI [https://www.scienceandindustrymuseum.org.uk/] etc!

There's a huge scope-gap of wonderful places for your next, what, 150+ miles..

@Spike, for suggestions south of you, for now ...

You should at least plan a very picturesque route down through the N York Dales, via say Wharfedale (seriously - the scenery is beautiful, even without Gilbert Briggs]
I had been thinking of following the Scotland-England border from east to west and then down through Carlisle, but I’ve since discovered the border and the Pennine Way are coincident for quite a distance. So, as no-one in England north of Manchester wants to meet me I could turn that into a bonus and come all the way down England as far as the Snake Pass on that trail instead.

I see the record time for walking the length of the Pennine Way is about two-and-a-half days. Given the way my route so far has become a zig-zag meander rather than the direct, focussed thrust southwards that I had envisaged, I thought I could aim for a slowest journey on record - two-and-a-half months, perhaps? In any event, looking at the snow swirling round The Towers this morning makes me realise that virtually is definitely the best method of walking the trail. Although, with hindsight (he writes, later…)

20230308171420-09692d81-me.jpg

… I probably wouldn’t have been any worse off in Scotland today than I was knocking off the virtual miles traipsing through the fields of the PRW.

Last edited:
It's shut but you could look over the walls.A wee detour?
https://www.littlesparta.org.uk/visit/
I don’t really think so… I mean, I enjoy a Hi-Art Concept as much as the next man, but the idea of walking halfway across Scotland to see it when (a) I know it is closed and (b) even if it wasn’t, I couldn’t take a photo doesn’t really appeal.

But it has given me the germ of an idea - the Marchbanks Secret Garden Experience. Tickets are £25 in advance, it’s never open, you are not allowed to visit and its location is - you guessed - a secret.

Last edited:
I don’t really think so… I mean, I enjoy a Hi-Art Concept as much as the next man, but the idea of walking halfway across Scotland to see it when (a) I know it is closed and (b) even if it wasn’t, I couldn’t take a photo doesn’t really appeal.

But it has given me the germs of an idea - the Marchbanks Secret Garden Experience. Tickets are £25 in advance, it’s never open, you are not allowed to visit and its location is - you guessed - a secret.
You could have made a donation and weaseled in.
You've got till the 15th to escape the nanny state and catch 25% off at Sainsbury's Berwick on Tweed or wherever over the border.

But it has given me the germ of an idea - the Marchbanks Secret Garden Experience. Tickets are £25 in advance, it’s never open, you are not allowed to visit and its location is - you guessed - a secret.

I'm beginning to wonder if you are walking or making a "royal progress" carried in a sedan chair.Any locked gate or no entry sign should be a green light to
a tramp looking for a warm shed for the night.

I'm beginning to wonder if you are walking or making a "royal progress" carried in a sedan chair.Any locked gate or no entry sign should be a green light to
a tramp looking for a warm shed for the night.
It doesn't always work like that, even in Scotland - as I discovered yesterday.

20230313171655-cd04bf35.jpg

Decent looking bothy for the night, I thought, and conveniently placed right on the coastal path. A modern, warm-and-welcoming-looking building, with more 'no entry' signs than you could shake a stick at - but I was thrown out peremptorily by some rather angry jobsworths mere seconds after forcing the padlock open. So much for the 'right to roam', eh? Fortunately M J Richardson (Photo © him (cc-by-sa/2.0)) was on hand to record this outrage. And to help me put my tent up.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back