advertisement

Tom Waits Closing Time 50th Anniversary

What an album, what a guy. Saw him live in Dublin a few years ago, a real bucket list achievement and a great gig. He seems to have been quiet of late, hopefully enjoying his millions, rather than just going on tour after tour to fund alimony payments, like some of his cohort.

Waits is interesting as even his fans can't agree on his best records. I've pretty much everything he'd released ( except, for some reason, Heart of the Saturday Night) but think the really good stuff started with Small Change and then there's that amazing run through to Alice / Blood Money . I like Closing Time but think its one of the weaker of his records.

That run is something else though - 12 albums over 25 years and every one more or less essential IMO. I've even come round the the view that Frank's Wild Years, which I struggled with when it was released, is a great record.

TBH I'm less of a fan of Real Gone and Bad Like Me - full of good things but lacking the sublime moments that connect the previous 12 but I do need to go back and give them another play.

advertisement

Back