advertisement

Your Albums of the Year ‘23

Whaleblue

Southbound
January 20th, and time to post what you’re liking in 2023.

This is an interesting offering with rather nice mid-west US lilted vocals from this new-to-me artist.

Not sure it’ll make a top 10 in December, but gotta start somewhere, and it’s good enough for that!

January 20th, and time to post what you’re liking in 2023.

This is an interesting offering with rather nice mid-west US lilted vocals from this new-to-me artist.

Not sure it’ll make a top 10 in December, but gotta start somewhere, and it’s good enough for that!

You’d do well to visit her discography - not a dud among them.

Algiers - Shook

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BJD9CD7H/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This feels like it was recorded in the middle of a Floyd George riot, a bleak, dark album, defiantly of the zeitgeist.

As ever, Algiers veer from soul through jazz to gospel to indie and back, often in the same song. This time there is even a bit of MC5s bookended with some trap.

Multiple collaborations pulled into this album including Samuel T Herring, Zack de la Rocha and more, with Big Rube as narrator.

Lots of short spoken word pieces, combined with quite a few songs of 2 or 3 minute length adding to the chaotic, visceral, jittery feel of this album.

Multi facetted, multi-layered, I wouldn't say it always works musically, but definitely a massively powerful soundtrack to these difficult years.

Difficult, heady, demanding listen. I doubt I'll hear anything as good as this in 2023.

This is one of the more approachable tracks, Bite Back, featuring Backxwash and Billy Woods:

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
So far just Heavy Heavy - Young Father's

I'm a massive Damon Albarn fan and usually like everything he has a hand in but this latest Gorillaz release is way off par for me.

I'm always a bit worried when all the hype and build up starts really early and is OTT for months.

I like...

Kali Malone - Does Spring Hide Its Joy
Bianca Scout - The Heart of the Anchoress
Kelela - Raven
Dobrawa Czocher - Dreamscapes
Hania Rani - On Giacometti
Fadi Mohem - MOHEM 02

The last of those isn’t an album, but another killer dub techno twelve from Berghain’s newest resident...

A signed white copy of Sleaford Mods UK Grim turned up earlier. It’s really good, though like a fair few modern pop/rock albums could have benefitted from an extra side or two. I don’t know the playing time, but it feels long and a bit quiet in level. Nice quiet flat pressing though. I’m late to the party here, this is the only album of theirs I’ve got, so no idea how it ranks, but it is what I was expecting after seeing various things on the TV. Quality stuff anyway.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A signed white copy of Sleaford Mods UK Grim turned up earlier. It’s really good, though like a fair few modern pop/rock albums could have benefitted from an extra side or two. I don’t know the playing time, but it feels long and a bit quiet in level. Nice quiet flat pressing though. I’m late to the party here, this is the only album of theirs I’ve got, so no idea how it ranks, but it is what I was expecting after seeing various things on the TV. Quality stuff anyway.
I only have their first album, it gets a bit samey.

advertisement

Back