advertisement

Any model makers here? This is a nice little add on.

Likewise.

It's been a long time since I had my modest childhood railway (which came with an exploding car as I recall!).

Go for it Andrew; it'll be interesting to see how it evolves. Maybe some video footage when you're happy with the results?

John

what are thre overall dims for the finished layout, and are you analogue or DCC?

Maybe some video footage when you're happy with the results?

It measures 10 1/2 by 8 1/2 ft. Fully DCC. A steep learning curve, but I’m in no rush. It’s a long term project. I need to finish and wire up my track. Next stage is the engine shed and goods yard. This was a recent, but not quite accurate track plan;
Old diagram by Andrew Clarke, on Flickr

More photos here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/169968-mansfield-a-slow-burner…/page/2/#comment-5050490

The station will be modelled on Mansfield Central(the current station), in the early 60’s. The sidings and engine shed will have a nod to Kirkby in Asfield around the same time.

Not bad that. My Honda(above) was somthing like… spoked wheels and pipe work in particular. But Tamiya fit is amazingly good.

Tamiya Acrylics here...very very good...I did my Tamiya Mosquito in them and no probs at all. Sure do clean the base plastic first and then a light grey (or to suit the top colour) primer via a simple aerosol is great. I still use Humbrol enamels where small shiny bits are required but spraying? Gave that up ages ago through the fiddle and need for ventilation etc.
here's a detail of the Mosi's paint job in Tamiya acrylics.

part cockpit 3 by John Dutfield, on Flickr

brilliant piece of work there, but are you sure they had laptops back in them days? :0)

Photo station 4-3-23 by Andrew Clarke, on Flickr

Photo station 3 4-3-23 by Andrew Clarke, on Flickr

Just some photos showing the woodworking for the foundations of the station platforms. The Peco edging is very close in structure and form to what I’m after, so the next stage is to prime them. I’ll then apply a mid stone colour.
The platform nearest the centre is needed as I can’t sort the other loop or goods yard until that’s done.
The curved piece of ply at the front of the photo has been binned, and a newer piece cut with a more accurate curve. My Class 4MT and a Stanier coach are being used as a template, to ensure the running gear doesn't snag. I'll check with a MK1 coach as well.

This is the weathering commencing on the sidings side. The paint is Precision Phoenix Rusty Rails, obviously. The paint on the sleepers will be gone over anyway with a different colour via airbrush in due course.

That is a fair bit of track laid, good progress. looks like the points maybe electro-frog points, so presuming you will be DCC?

I used woodland scenics rusty nail pen. I found this worked well and if holding the tip correctly I managed to paint the side of the rails and the ties in one pass, this suited my concrete sleepers OO guage.

At the mo reworking a hinged access flap, fitted a couple of rods to locate the position. now soldering rail ends onto PCB's at
the hinge and closing face.

That is a fair bit of track laid, good progress. looks like the points maybe electro-frog points, so presuming you will be DCC?

Yes, DCC. I’m trying to get all the track down before setting the airbrush on it. The south bound P2 and 3 need to be in so I done foul the p3 loop up.

I’m sorry, I don’t know how DCC works, but surely spraying the rails affects the electrical contact?

advertisement

Back