advertisement

Wayne Shorter RIP

Still shocking news to me although I've heard he has been of iffy health of late. Unfortunately one of my dreams to see him live will remain unfulfilled.

Certainly one of the greatest saxophonists of all time and a fantastic composer. His tunes, even early on, were never 'straight' or cliched but sophisticated and interesting. He wrote many of the classic pieces of Miles' second quintet.

I have most of his albums but I really really like his late band comprising Danilo Perez, Brian Blade and John Patitucci.

RIP Wayne.

RIP Wayne.

He had some really terrible tragedies in his life too his wife and niece died in a plane crash on their way to see him in Rome and his daughter died at the age of 14.

Great obit in the Washington post.

https://apple.news/AMzhuINSMTyqVQxGRmlGDig

“Mr. Shorter’s first marriage, to Teruko Nakagami, ended in divorce. His second wife, Ana Maria Patricio, and their niece Dalila were killed in 1996 along with 228 others in the crash of TWA Flight 800 soon after takeoff from New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport. They were flying to Rome to meet Mr. Shorter. (Eleven years earlier, their daughter Iska died at 14 of a grand mal seizure.)”

Just playing Free for All, SNE next. I'd never have guessed he was that old from his appearance in the recent Miles documentary on Netflix, he looked very youthful. I also found him and Herbie Hancock making fun of Miles very funny

It was quite an experience seeing Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock at our favorite venue in the late nineties playing music from the 1 + 1 album they did together.

advertisement

Back