advertisement

Rega Naia

Not many Rega dealers will stock the full range, they will make a judgement upon what will sell. My local retailer had the P10 but not the P8 for example, they also stocked Linn.

My P10 will be staying (not least because I can't afford the upgrade, and I've only acquired it recently).

I note that Rega dealers are quite keen to downplay any ideas of diminishing returns - apparently Rega say that the difference between the P10 and the Naia is as great as the difference between the 10 and a P3...
I bet they do - imagine how the mighty NAIAD sounds to their ears. Stick with your P10; I hear it's all you'll ever need.

Lots? How many P8/P10 users are in the £12k bracket? That's one hell of an upgrade!

I suspect the point of the post was to imply that only "the faithful" would be interested; which seems a little insular. If I had £12k for a deck, I would certainly be listening to a Naia if I could, but would also be listening to other things - just as I did when at one point I had those readies several years ago.

The point, in a way, is that Rega are now getting into that bracket; and there will be some snobbery about it.

Gents, it appears that some extravagant claims are being suggested here about the forthcoming Naia turntable, I am certainly unaware of anyone saying that the difference between it and the Planar 10 is the same as the difference between the Planar 3 and the Planar 10.

Similarly there have been some observations as to the projected price with no knowledge of the costs of materials and manufacture.

Perhaps we should all reserve absolute judgement until it lands in stores towards the autumn when it will be available for all to hear and we would then welcome and encourage demonstration against any other similarly priced turntable and subsequent informed observations would be more than welcome.

Gents, it appears that some extravagant claims are being suggested here about the forthcoming Naia turntable, I am certainly unaware of anyone saying that the difference between it and the Planar 10 is the same as the difference between the Planar 3 and the Planar 10.

Similarly there have been some observations as to the projected price with no knowledge of the costs of materials and manufacture.

Perhaps we should all reserve absolute judgement until it lands in stores towards the autumn when it will be available for all to hear and we would then welcome and encourage demonstration against any other similarly priced turntable and subsequent informed observations would be more than welcome.

Sorry Paul, but that's what I was told. I did take it with a pinch of salt....

Quite right too. Another thread I should never have started. Mind you I think Rega are partly to blame. Teasing us with an appearance but no demonstration or hard facts. Nature (and Hifi forums) abhors a vacuum.

Always makes me laugh that Rega aren’t allowed to make expensive stuff according to proper audiophiles.

It's not that it's not allowed to make expensive stuff, it's just that the brand is thoroughly associated with no-nonsense affordable kit which lasts and is great value for money for people with an ordinary income. If Wilson Benesch produce a £10K turntable people ask "why so cheap?" I can see why Rega would want to extend into the 'high end' market, but I wonder how hard it is to exist in both arenas. Brands become identified with market sectors.

I wish Rega luck with the Naia. It's great to see the turntable art making progress. It's a great time to be a vinyl-lover.

The P10 is £2100 more than a P8 but you get an expensive ceramic platter, £700 more expensive arm, better power supply and bearing. It looks reasonable value in material terms.
On top of those improvements over the P8 you mentioned the P10 also offers a ceramic upper brace Vs. Aluminum & hand matched motor to power supply/ improved motor mounting & a more substantial subplatter.

The point, in a way, is that Rega are now getting into that bracket; and there will be some snobbery about it.

I believe Rega entered that bracket when Planar 9 released, more than twenty years ago.
Later on came Osiris, Isis, R10 etc.

I've never associated Rega with snobbery,(its people that are snobby sometimes) on the contrary, some people laughed at the look of my very first Rega Planet CD player, the laugh stiffend a bit when it began to play music like few.

I believe Rega entered that bracket when Planar 9 released, more than twenty years ago.
Later on came Osiris, Isis, R10 etc.

I've never associated Rega with snobbery,(its people that are snobby sometimes) on the contrary, some people laughed at the look of my very first Rega Planet CD player, the laugh stiffend a bit when it began to play music like few.

Not quite. The P9 didn't cost £12K, even at adjusted prices. I know, I bought one and owned it happily for a decade.

Best of luck but this is a Hifi forum so…;)

I am happy to see the release of this product. I currently have a P6 and in a year or 2 I am looking to upgrade. My budget will be in this range.

Currently I have a few turntables shortlisted - SME model 12 or 15 (with any of their arms), Kuzma Stabi R with 4 point tonearm and VPI Avenger with Fatboy arm. I was going to look at the P10 against these but now I can look at the Naia. By the time I get the funds together that shortlist might change a bit.

advertisement

Back