advertisement

Mains Plug Fuses for Naim 300/300PS

PaulJ

pfm Member
Hi

I would like to know what amp fuse I should use for Naim 300DR & 300PS, I don't have original leads currently. I am also a bit weary of buying cheap chinese fuses, I would be grateful of advice please

Thanks,
Paul

The manual says this:

"2. Mains Power Use only the mains leads and plugs supplied or the Naim PowerLine mains cable. Where fused plugs are used 13 amp fuses should be fitted. Fuses of a lower rating will fail after a period of use. Do not wire voltage dependent resistors or noise suppressors into mains plugs. They degrade the mains supply and the sound."

https://www.naimaudio.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/files/Power Amplifiers Reference English Issue 2B.pdf Page 3.

A standard 13A fuse from a hardware store should do the job perfectly?

As above….

Standard BS 1362 (plug type fuse), rated at 13A to withstand the switch on inrush current, and in any case in line with Naim’s recommendations.

Go for a decent make like Bussmann, and make sure it’s ASTA approved.

Avoid any unbranded fuses and absolutely no need for any boutique grade fuse.

We’re talking pennies here, not pounds !

Hi

I would like to know what amp fuse I should use for Naim 300DR & 300PS, I don't have original leads currently. I am also a bit weary of buying cheap chinese fuses, I would be grateful of advice please

Thanks,
Paul
Analogueseduction.net sell audio level fuses, worth asking them

Amusingly there’s a discussion running on the green forum on this very subject. And the flavour of the month among the golden-eared cognoscenti is……

……Bussmann 13A, bought in packs of 10 from Amazon!

Last edited:
But, apparently, they need to be be installed the right way round in the plug for enhanced sonic goodness.

On a more serious note though, there was in the same thread, some discussion about counterfeit fuses, and how to identify them.

Bussman are just one of a large number of fuse manufacturers who all make fuses to BS1362, you really don't need Bussman specifically and whatever your local supermarket has stocked will be perfectly safe. Where I would urge caution is buying from the net where the origin of products is not obvious or deliberately designed to mislead. Other than that specific source I think you would struggle to buy a non compliant fuse in a high street retail outlet.

What a load of b*ll*cks (bottle neck distortion my ar*e) and nary a mention of a British Standard. Mind you if anyone is stupid enough, and I regretfully suppose there are some, to spend that amount of money on a fuse then they deserve everything that comes to them.

Bussmann produced tens of millions for 10p or if flush quantum fuse £4200

Quantum Science Audio Silver Extreme Level UK 13A Fuse (futureshop.co.uk)
You obviously failed to scroll down to the "You might also be interested in" section where one will invariably find the following...

Quantum Science Audio Gold Extreme Level
UK Mains Fuse (13A)

£8,000.00
£6,666.67 excl. VAT
Item Code: QSA Gold UK

Perhaps this should simply be referred to as the "£8K a pop model"?

Cheap 13amp Bussmann fuses good. Cheap 13amp Marbo fuses bad and restrictive IME after destructive analysis of a Naim powerline. (clean the end plugs though):cool:

advertisement

Back