advertisement

Rega Naia

Expensive?
It’s less than half the current price of the fully loaded (Klimax level) LP12!
Bargain!

There's not as much difference as that in it - the full LP12 includes the Urika stage, the Naia package is "just" the TT, arm, cart and PSU. Assuming you'd want an Aura and not a Fono to go with it, that is a fair chunk of your saving gone!

Loved the bit where he very diplomatically answered the question as to why Rega haven't gone down the heavier and heavier platter/chassis route. "Because we are engineers and know what we are doing" was the basic paraphrased answer :D

Not sure he was being that rude - rightly. Rega have a great way of doing things, but other engineers have come up with other quite different ways of doing things. More than one way to skin a cat and all that...

There's not as much difference as that in it - the full LP12 includes the Urika stage, the Naia package is "just" the TT, arm, cart and PSU. Assuming you'd want an Aura and not a Fono to go with it, that is a fair chunk of your saving gone!

Which PSU do you get with that LP12?

Not sure he was being that rude - rightly. Rega have a great way of doing things, but other engineers have come up with other quite different ways of doing things. More than one way to skin a cat and all that...

Take the Oswald’s Mill turntable. Weighs several hundred pounds and costs several hundred thousand USD. According to them, to get the table properly damped, they had to design a table of several hundred pounds with gel inside both the base and platter. I would call that a failure of engineering and lean more towards the engineers who know what they are doing.

Take the Oswald’s Mill turntable. Weighs several hundred pounds and costs several hundred thousand USD. According to them, to get the table properly damped, they had to design a table of several hundred pounds with gel inside both the base and platter. I would call that a failure of engineering and lean more towards the engineers who know what they are doing.

That does sound like rather questionable logic, but it doesn't go to show that the Rega way is the only way, and I say that as a huge fan.

That does sound like rather questionable logic, but it doesn't go to show that the Rega way is the only way, and I say that as a huge fan.

I wasn’t trying to say their way is the only way. I agree with what you are saying but only to a certain extent. In my view, there seems to be a big problem in hifi these days with turntable manufacturers who do not understand the science required or, that they simply sell high mass BS as bigger must be better and more mass means they can ask for more money. Rega isn’t perfect either, of course.

I wasn’t trying to say their way is the only way. I agree with what you are saying but only to a certain extent. In my view, there seems to be a big problem in hifi these days with turntable manufacturers who do not understand the science required or, that they simply sell high mass BS as bigger must be better and more mass means they can ask for more money. Rega isn’t perfect either, of course.

Not sure we're disagreeing about the monster TTs, although I wasn't meaning to cast any aspersions on Rega! I am a big fan and was very much hoping to hear the Naia at the Bristol show recently.

Who designed the actual Lacquer Cutting Lathes in the late 50's, 60's & early 70's when many think LP's were the most enjoyable/musical, audiophiles or engineers?

Have a RP10 myself & very good TT & Spent a few days in front of a OMA K3
Like comparing a Kia with a Bugatti

Have a RP10 myself & very good TT & Spent a few days in front of a OMA K3
Like comparing a Kia with a Bugatti

I don’t doubt this K3 sounds much better. For >300k USD it better. I honestly do not know how anyone would agree that one must design a several hundred pound turntable to get it properly damped, which is what OMA will you. The whole thing with a university being involved further puzzled me. That is is the element that should be compared to Rega as Rega has a completely different philosophy.

Rega falls short in drive methods, motors, tuneable tonearms compared to the companies that sell in the higher price ranges (although I love the tonearm). I will shut up now as I do not want to get the thread off track.

Exciting news especially if the Naia equals or betters the Klimax LP12 which I am sure it will.

Wish Rega all the best for their 50th Year making audio.

Thanks Roy and Terry and Rega staff.Wow what a great company heres to another 50 years :)

Price wise, it sounds like the NAIA will be selling for a similar price to the ‘select’ level LP12.
An interesting comparative audition for customers considering a new turntable at this price point.

for customers considering a new turntable at this price point.

There's a fair bit limited market for very expensive decks.

Did Naim/Clearaudio sell out ? - maybe it was even more expensive ?

Vertere make some expensive decks

Sure there are others - a new Pink Triangle perhaps ?

Bang & Olufsen refurb ?

I am most excited about the technology that hopefully will eventually trickle down to the cheaper models.=)

There's a fair bit limited market for very expensive decks.

Did Naim/Clearaudio sell out ? - maybe it was even more expensive ?

Vertere make some expensive decks

Sure there are others - a new Pink Triangle perhaps ?

Bang & Olufsen refurb ?

There are so many manufacturers making expensive decks that it's hard to name them all.

The depressing thing is the sheer similarity between many/most of them - chrome, high mass, huge platters, etc.

Difficult not to admire Rega's chutzpah in challenging them with a genuinely different approach.

advertisement

Back