advertisement

Folk/Acoustic

The one & only time I emailed John Peel, during one of his 2hr shows around '02 I think, I was still on my hotmail page & was delighted to hear him read out my question on air almost immediately after I sent it. I asked if the Laura Cantrell session "could be had on one of those Peel Sessions Lp jobbies-?" ( fat chance, but rather pleased he said the word "jobbies", & genuinely wanted to know about these grey/ black Peel sessions Lp's you find at record fairs).

He rambled a typically long Peelesque dirge of a reply, concluding "..actually I've absolutely no idea whatsoever"!

I've mentioned on here before that Laura Veirs is one of my favourite singer songwriters. Her latest album, Found Light, unusually for me, has taken it's time to get under my skin. It's tempo is quite a bit slower than usual, but does possess a hypnotic quality and it has finally captivated me, so bought it at a very reasonable price of £8.99 that's 10 albums of hers I now own, the most of any one artist in my collection.
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Interesting post maccar. 10 albums? that is impressive & I think perhaps a good subject of a music thread itself (I admit it might be rush who I have the most albums of a single band of.. doesn't say a heap for me on a groovy folk thread does it!). I admit too, that I've not heard of her before. I like it, it has an authenticity to it, & the sax goes off at one stage into almost Captain beefheart ad hoc nuttiness! She's adopting quite a bold woman-spreading pose there too (ie as opposed to man-spreading).. sitting on some steps directly towards us; I wouldn't say she has balls, I don't think so, but she certainly has got confidence!

Interesting post maccar. 10 albums? that is impressive & I think perhaps a good subject of a music thread itself (I admit it might be rush who I have the most albums of a single band of.. doesn't say a heap for me on a groovy folk thread does it!). I admit too, that I've not heard of her before. I like it, it has an authenticity to it, & the sax goes off at one stage into almost Captain beefheart ad hoc nuttiness! She's adopting quite a bold woman-spreading pose there too (ie as opposed to man-spreading).. sitting on some steps directly towards us; I wouldn't say she has balls, I don't think so, but she certainly has got confidence!
You may, or may not be surprised that she stems from a strong Punk background, not a genre I ever enjoyed.

I like the Elizabethan thingy, so glad it didn't do a gradual crescendo with everyone going ott excited at full pelt.. I thought it was heading in that direction, then thank goodness it didn't. She's good, reminds me of pentangle lass.

July Flame or World of Meteors

Listening to July Flame now, it's rather lovely & well crafted, a grower type music I think.. which is a good thing to me. I shall buy this one, & explore more. Her Portland background means it makes sense/ I can mentally put her on the same 'shelf' as ES, even NN too. Great recommendation mac.

---

[ On a different tack. I wonder if anyone on here has encountered the gentle charm, & maybe even a quiet fan of Joe Pera (Talks with you)-? ]

Capt

Listening to July Flame now, it's rather lovely & well crafted, a grower type music I think.. which is a good thing to me. I shall buy this one, & explore more. Her Portland background means it makes sense/ I can mentally put her on the same 'shelf' as ES, even NN too. Great recommendation mac.

---

[ On a different tack. I wonder if anyone on here has encountered the gentle charm, & maybe even a quiet fan of Joe Pera (Talks with you)-? ]

Capt
Excellent, glad it's a hit with you... will be interesting to know what you think of her newer albums... My Echo, Warp and Weft, Look out
Joe Pera, can only find a couple of things on Spotify, is it all instrumental?

Excellent, glad it's a hit with you... will be interesting to know what you think of her newer albums... My Echo, Warp and Weft, Look out
Joe Pera, can only find a couple of things on Spotify, is it all instrumental?

Will take me a while, it being a good thing her music is 'grower' type/ has depth etc, so will start with your previous recommended ones. Then take a break.

Joe Pera isn't actually music at all. It's comedy (actually many would disagree that it's even amusing). But not relevant to the folk thread I've decided.

Capt

Last edited:

advertisement

Back