advertisement

Another mains fuse hits the streets

Look at the plugs and sockets in the rest of the world: those fused UK plugs are really prehistoric and needlessly oversized. Whenever I show them to students they can’t stop laughing.

What on E/earth is funny about then? Can you not neutralise their comedic liveliness, Chartz?:D. If I remember (and that'll be the day), the plugs I encountered in western Europe were similar to the ones I was brought up with. Round pin (5 amp and 15 amp). The ring main system with its fused square pin plug didn't come in until the forties when I was knee-high to a grasshopper (as they say).

Maybe plugs/sockets have changed over there but I'd love to know the humorous aspect of out rectangular pinned plugs.

Look at the plugs and sockets in the rest of the world: those fused UK plugs are really prehistoric and needlessly oversized. Whenever I show them to students they can’t stop laughing.

They've a very different job to do, compared with how even 240Vac supplies are wired in homes elsewhere, since they have to address the ability of the UK's post-war shortage-driven 'ring' main' solution to deliver absolutely massive fault currents into any fault in the in-room 'flex' cable the plug supplies any downstream in -room eqpt.

That can be dealt with by other methods today: but in the day of fuses, a very different thing. So tehre's a useful legacy, which is:

The thought behind the way the BS1362 plug is designed; the way in snagging the flex cable cannot accidentally dislodge the plug, the absolute -only - fit-one-way need to avoid polarisation issues; the attention to avoiding touch-shock risk if one isn't inserted correctly, the oversized pin conductors that have a terrific effective wiped surface area ( to deal with huge max prospective fault current, never approached); the strain -relief on the in-room flex cable; the way that the Earth Bond is the first connection made when plugging-in (and only when engaged in place, then-unshutters the active conductors ); and the fact it is so utterly bloody, tediously reliable - makes the rest of us look at most equiv systems and think 'wtf/" too …

Esp. since few equivalent worldwide plugs are in any way usefully smaller (why might smaller be a measure of improvement , btw? you call it 'oversized' ) - but are demonstrably more fragile in all above respects of safety & integrity - yet not as easy to wire DIY! Schuko is not a valid answer ;)

Oh yes - that's another thing: the way the BS1362 plug is designed, also means if the flex strain relief fails / was incorrectly set - not that many other plugs worldwide even have one - the flex cable Earth bond is the last to come free: it has a deliberately longer route/labyrinth to ensure this.

Last edited:
I was on an holiday in Spain where there was an outlet in the actual shower cubicle. :eek::eek::eek:

Although coming back to the UK, I do miss a socket in the bathroom for the hairdryer and always have to trail a cable across the hallway to the bathroom! ;)

Maybe plugs/sockets have changed over there but I'd love to know the humorous aspect of out rectangular pinned plugs.
They look very much like a thing from the past. A legacy technology, you know like rotary dial phones.
I visited a telecom museum and they wouldn’t be out of place as exhibit pieces there! To us they do look funny - well not to me because I lived in the UK 30 years ago, so they are familiar things.

The BS1361 plug is one of the few properly thought out plugs, and when inserted in a wall socket it protrudes less than most due to its downward facing flex outlet. I have only one gripe, when it is dropped on the floor it inevitably seems to end up pins facing upwards which places it second only to Lego as the painful tread on risk in our home!

Last edited:
The thing what I did not liked about those plugs, that you need think ahead at which side cable is when getting extension block.

You are surely not holding up French sockets and plugs as superior are you ?

Brilliant watch and I'm now a total convert. How most of the rest of the world copes with such primitive, dangerous and inaccessible plugs is (now) beyond me. Sorry, Chartz; your museum should only display those antediluvian plugs of yours !:D For hifi, if you must have plugs, the round pin ones make sense but only on radials.. Still not as safe in handling as 13 amp ones, though.

B.t.w., the black insulation on the 13 amp plug is a relatively recent innovation; I've still got quite a few without and they can't be more than 40 odd years old.

Electrically, obviously not. But they are unnecessarily bulky for many applications.

I guess it's the fuse which limits making them smaller internally but the pin design/placement would prevent miniaturisation anyway.

B.t.w., the black insulation on the 13 amp plug is a relatively recent innovation; I've still got quite a few without and they can't be more than 40 odd years old.
People with slim fingers could touch the live pins when the plug was partly inserted, but I suspect that the real reason was that here was a coin that exactly fitted between the pins and schoolboys liked to plug them in with the switch or lab breaker off and wait. The result was spectacular.
This was before RCCBs became common - they would trip on the neutral earth short.

The thing what I did not liked about those plugs, that you need think ahead at which side cable is when getting extension block.

Oh yes that is a bug bear especially if you have wall warts with cable outlets in opposite directions on the same block, triggers my OCD does that.

People with slim fingers could touch the live pins when the plug was partly inserted, but I suspect that the real reason was that here was a coin that exactly fitted between the pins and schoolboys liked to plug them in with the switch or lab breaker off and wait. The result was spectacular.
This was before RCCBs became common - they would trip on the neutral earth short.
I had a good example of ‘Murphy’s Law’ back in the 70s before mains plugs had sleeves on the pins. We had not long moved into a new (to us) flat and I noticed that one single socket outlet in the bedroom was upside down (earth pin below power). I thought ‘must change that’, but didn’t get round to it. My wife was hoovering (before feminism!) and as she worked away pulled the plug half out. She then moved the bed to hoover underneath and the rather lovely B&O portable radio with whip aerial extended sitting on the floor (low beds fashionable then) was pushed over by the moving bed and the aerial dropped neatly between plug and socket… Loud bang… The radio still worked but the aerial could no longer be retracted as there were two large bites out of it.

There is no explanation on how these fuses are supposed to improve sound quality other than the claim to overcome 'bottle back distortion'. If such a phenomenon actually exists (LOL) then a far cheaper solution would be to get an electrician to wire you a dedicated 15a socket outlet which has no fuse but is still perfectly safe as the circuit is protected via the circuit breaker in the consumer unit. This would overcome any chance of encountering the deadly 'bottle neck distortion' caused by the supply circuit by removing the plug top fuse completely.

# electrician mode on
And completely pointless too.
Electricity is not some mysterious, unexplained phenomenon. It ceased to be 200 years ago I think.
There are probably hundreds on contacts between the transformer and your outlet.
# electrician mode off

There is no explanation on how these fuses are supposed to improve sound quality other than the claim to overcome 'bottle back distortion'. If such a phenomenon actually exists (LOL) then a far cheaper solution would be to get an electrician to wire you a dedicated 15a socket outlet which has no fuse but is still perfectly safe as the circuit is protected via the circuit breaker in the consumer unit. This would overcome any chance of encountering the deadly 'bottle neck distortion' caused by the supply circuit by removing the plug top fuse completely.

Like this! Yes I do have the above installed.

Q8IRarz.jpg

advertisement

Back