advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

I liked the Mercury and Moon, but if tempted by a color, agreed that the Neptune is a good choice. The Earth also. The red/brown/yellow colors didn’t look as nice.

Nothing in stock in Zurich today. Flight overbooked as well apparently. So much for a downturn!

Put my Milgauss in for a service with Rolex. Think it’s just waiting lists to buy a watch from them? Nope. 6 months lead time. For a service. Crikey.

Put my Milgauss in for a service with Rolex. Think it’s just waiting lists to buy a watch from them? Nope. 6 months lead time. For a service. Crikey.

They're using all their workshop capacity to churn out those pre-loved Rolex Certified watches so they can get a chunk of that sweet, sweet second hand but higher than list price action.

They're using all their workshop capacity to churn out those pre-loved Rolex Certified watches so they can get a chunk of that sweet, sweet second hand but higher than list price action.
I bet. Take in a non working example for loose change, factory service, issue certificate, bingo.

Was up in Enniskillen in Norn Iron at the weekend. Had a look in the local Rolex dealer's window there - used items only. A handful of s/h Subs of varying ages...£9,995 and upwards.
I nearly dropped.

Ok, long shot: want a new Daytona, steel, black dial. Any idea if there’s a snowball’s chance of buying one before December? Figuring the heat has come out of the market of late, there might - perhaps- be a glimmer of hope?

Ok, long shot: want a new Daytona, steel, black dial. Any idea if there’s a snowball’s chance of buying one before December? Figuring the heat has come out of the market of late, there might - perhaps- be a glimmer of hope?

Well, there’s no harm in going into an AD and asking the question, but be prepared for them to politely decline your business unless you have a purchase history with them. Or be actually laughed out of Goldsmith’s like I was last year when I asked to be put on the list for a bog standard no date steel Sub.

I don’t think you’ll be lucky tbh, the market might have softened recently, but you’re still asking for something that you’ll immediately be able to flip for several thousand pounds more than you paid for it.

I’ll try the AD where I bought the Sub and Milly new from them. At least I have a history with them!

When I last sent my Rolex Kermit in for a service it took 5 months and that was back in 2017 its normal
Think I paid around 650 Euros , My Milgauss is dew a service but think I'll do that myself

I’ll try the AD where I bought the Sub and Milly new from them. At least I have a history with them!

You might well be in with a shout then! Best of luck.

I’ll never buy even an earring from Goldsmiths again, however.

Today was Oris Day, but going into the kitchen, I was trying to carry too much and dropped the watch on the tiled floor. It kept going, but where was the second hand from the subsidiary dial? Answer, rattling around the face. So, I pedalled down the hill to the factory (yes, really). Now previously the door into Oris led to a vestibule where there was a phone, so that you could ring for attention, but to my surprise, I found this:

57be7b15-7a17-45d0-b285-e0e323c92dc6.jpeg

Really nicely set up - that opening led through to a coffee machine. The guy said, almost apologetically, that a service would cost CHF300. I pointed out that a service on the Rolex GMT-Master would cost more than three times that. Nevertheless, he said that, if all the work came to more than CHF550, they would ring me. Nice watches at a nice price.

https://www.baselland-tourismus.ch/poi/erlebniswelt-oris-hoelstein

57be7b15-7a17-45d0-b285-e0e323c92dc6.jpeg

The guy said, almost apologetically, that a service would cost CHF300...
https://www.baselland-tourismus.ch/poi/erlebniswelt-oris-hoelstein

"The guy said, almost apologetically, that a service would cost CHF300..."

He looks a bit like a bear?!

Well done Bazza for taking up your hobby as a job, i've been reading Longitude by Dava Sobel this week, watched the TV series a years ago.
Remarkable what John Harrison achieved.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/stories/topics/harrisons-clocks-longitude-problem
f7024_009.jpg

H4.jpg

Don't know if you've seen the movements photographed by Guido Mocafico

iu

iu

https://www.guidomocafico.com/work/movement/

advertisement

Back