advertisement

Another mains fuse hits the streets

If they are not proper fuses inside, they could be dangerous and would void your house insurance

Indeed, I'm well aware of the potential issues of using counterfeit / non BS approved electrical equipment. My point was how they have the balls to electro plate the ends and apply a sticker that imbues it with some magical quantum qualities which make it a viable upgrade at any cost, never mind £6 k

Indeed, I'm well aware of the potential issues of using counterfeit / non BS approved electrical equipment. My point was how they have the balls to electro plate the ends and apply a sticker that imbues it with some magical quantum qualities which make it a viable upgrade at any cost, never mind £6 k

It's a racket.

I've have little doubt the these fuses change the sound - to quote a dealer who is quite well known in these parts:

'The price seems to double each time they come out with a new version' 1 min 25

Synergistic have launched their Master mains plug 13 Amp fuse.

Do you think £590 offers value for money? WIll be about £6K to refuse my setup.

You could have three purples for the price of one master.
You should spend 10% of your system budget on fuses.

So, when I've bought these what am I going to do with all the case fuses?

Like a good judge, you'll just have to rest your case, Alex.

B.t.w., whatever has happened to Jez? Haven't seen his posts for ages (months even?). His posts were usually extremely unilateral in far left opinion, but there was a a certain honesty to them. He was also knowledgeable and helpful, and by repute, a good designer/manufacturer and had my selected admiration, albeit not political standpoint! :D. Brickbats flew occasionally, but all par the his course.

I've have little doubt the these fuses change the sound - to quote a dealer who is quite well known in these parts:

I watched his YouTube videos when he first started doing them...until he started with some batshit-crazy statements. No change there obviously.

I watched his YouTube videos when he first started doing them...until he started with some batshit-crazy statements. No change there obviously.

Well, 'who's going to pay that much for a fuse' doesn't sound that silly to me. He's obviously got a few rich customers over in Cheshire (some of it is rather posh)...

Well, 'who's going to pay that much for a fuse' doesn't sound that silly to me. He's obviously got a few rich customers over in Cheshire (some of it is rather posh)...
You'd think then if he is trying to capture such market he would sell more high end gear.

You'd think then if he is trying to capture such market he would sell more high end gear.

He's said before that he has a particular customer or two. Good on him, if he can make a few grand so easily, who cares? It might make a quiet month break even in these hard times.

Electrons don't actually flow through a fuse (or a wire) and many have a hard time understanding that because of what or they way they've been taught previously. What's needed is continuity and the material matters in that respect. A 3 A fuse doesn't blow at 3A (usually!) The make up the fuse matters electrically.

Most people would see the amount many of us have spent on our systems as crazy. Personally, I won't be buying one of these fuses, but if others have the cash to try them out, good for them I say and even better if they enjoy their music more as a result.
Making a luxury purchase may well improve the buyer's enjoyment. That's indeed absolutely fine. A lot of HiFi is, in realty, much more a luxury purchase than functional.

However this appears to be a part of the HiFi business where luxury products are sold based on descriptions that seem designed to at least imply a functional basis for spending a lot of money. A functional basis not clearly supported by existing science in spite of the advertising copy.

Some of this seems absolutely blatant to me, and it seems quite prevalent in more subtle forms. Society defines some types of behaviour as a harm. So is there a threshold where this end of the HiFi business becomes not OK? I think there is; I think it does get crossed; and I think that's because there's no effective deterrence.

Even the 10% of system on cables is a joke tbh

Not in Russ Andrews eyes. This is why I posted this because it is a reflection of the market as a whole. Technics increasing price of their GR turntable by 60%. A Tara labs USB for £5K, dealer says one client bought 2! And the RA interconnect for £12700 for a metre pair.

They are selling this stuff.

Not in Russ Andrews eyes. This is why I posted this because it is a reflection of the market as a whole. Technics increasing price of their GR turntable by 60%. A Tara labs USB for £5K, dealer says one client bought 2! And the RA interconnect for £12700 for a metre pair.

They are selling this stuff.

No doubt but I think we are into the "A fool and his money are soon parted" territory.

No way £12700 of R&D or materials went into that cable (why am I even stating this tbh).

Buut - can't really say R.A is a snake oil perpetuator without tarring all companies with the same brush. Anyone who buys into this is letting it continue and can't really say much Tbh

advertisement

Back