advertisement

What's your WTF hifi moment

It was very, very good - John Atkinson's "I saw God" system.
I scrimped and saved and bought junior.. Big MBL's are as close to live music as you can get from a hifi.

IMG-7929-86.jpg
That is lovely Colin!

Most gig sound quality is crap but what most music systems miss is the energy that comes from live music. MBL's make recordings sound alive. Once you are used to that quality its hard to listen to boxes.

My WTF moment was the Amptastic Mini 1 @ £100 sounding better than 70% of amps (into efficient speakers), some at x100 the price.

The Amptastic Mini-1 is available again (for a limited period only, if vendor is to be believed). It disappeared from availability for a while.

Last edited:
The Amptastic Mini-1 is available again (for a limited period only, if vendor is to be believed). It disappeared from availability for a while:

I’m really skeptical that it’s not a clone. The original website still exists but the cart/checkout system has been broken for several years. Why would they switch to eBay?

Then again, maybe it’s easier then fixing the website. But still, I thought the reason they stopped producing was that the chips were NOS to begin with and the stock ran out.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’m really skeptical that it’s not a clone. The original website still exists but the cart/checkout system has been broken for several years. Why would they switch to eBay?

Then again, maybe it’s easier then fixing the website. But still, I thought the reason they stopped producing was that the chips were NOS to begin with and the stock ran out.

FFS! I hope not. I did notice the original web site was not functional but assumed a falling out of staff, rather than a scam. I've deleted the link on my post. I'll contact the seller for comment.

I've emailed the vendor (Chris) and all seems well. Enough for me to place an order anyway.

He says that they bought up the last remaining European genuine stock of chips and that the Ebay sale is the easiest, most direct way to sell the last remaining stock in response to so many emails asking about any more Mini-1s. He further added that many modern class-d chipsets don't match the Mini-1 design.
Also sent me some pictures showing the Tripath TA2020 chip.

If the Mini 1 is indeed available again - buy one! (But it’s only 11 Watts). Btw, Chris is honest and straightforward, fixed my Mini 1 foc after they ceased original production. One of the few hifi items I have that will never be sold (for less than £1K).

For me naim nait 1. In my 'system' of the time. I just couldn't square the circle of how different music sounded, music I believed I understood up to that point.

I've emailed the vendor (Chris) and all seems well. Enough for me to place an order anyway.

He says that they bought up the last remaining European genuine stock of chips and that the Ebay sale is the easiest, most direct way to sell the last remaining stock in response to so many emails asking about any more Mini-1s. He further added that many modern class-d chipsets don't match the Mini-1 design.
Also sent me some pictures showing the Tripath TA2020 chip.
Thank you for doing this. I’ve also nabbed one. I’ve been kicking myself that I didn’t get one when I could, so this opportunity can’t be allowed to pass. Hopefully it arrives on Weds. I don’t have a use in mind, but might use it with the telly, to give the NuForce jobby that’s there now a bit of a rest.

If the Mini 1 is indeed available again - buy one! (But it’s only 11 Watts). Btw, Chris is honest and straightforward, fixed my Mini 1 foc after they ceased original production. One of the few hifi items I have that will never be sold (for less than £1K).

Thanks for the tip. Just bought one to stick in the cupboard. One day I will find a use for it :)

My WTF moment was the realisation that listening to a track that I was suffering sibilance with at home, sounded exactly the same at the dealers

Problem was...mine was a 30k Naim system and this was a 400k Naim statement system

Made me realise I could never "upgrade" my way out of the thing I disliked with the Naim sound

I sold everything and started again...never to look back!

if Sibilance on the recording, there’s nothing you can do about it though!… Peter Gabriel ‘So’ being a good example of sibilance being on the master.

Does this count?.

A Mac book pro and a John Kelly 32 DAC blowing my naim cdx out of the water?

Had to change immediately - resale of cdx covered purchase of S/h replacements

M

Last edited:

advertisement

Back