advertisement

Housing market

Landlord evictions up but look well below the pre covid average.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64580987

I bet a lot of this, maybe most, is just due to the length of time it takes to get a court order, the court backlog is so long. Tenant decides not to pay rent during the eviction ban and so the process can only start in May 21.

Here's a real example in London - 17 months. Not me.

May 2021- served section 21 notice (6 months notice)
December 2021- application for accelerated possession.
May 2022- possession of property
October 2022- bailiff eviction

And think if accelerated possession can't be used because of some problem with the paperwork.

House prices are a lagging economic indicator. Everyone seemed to expect prices to fall off a cliff a month after Trussgate. Doesn't work that way

A house purchase is a 25 year investment (though the reality is that it is only a roof over your head), prices rise and fall during that time.

Invariably they rise, as the population continually increases, and demand outstrips supply.

Many 'expected' house prices to collapse as a result of Brexit, yet the opposite happened.

Don't always rely on the 'experts'.

I bet a lot of this, maybe most, is just due to the length of time it takes to get a court order, the court backlog is so long. Tenant decides not to pay rent during the eviction ban and so the process can only start in May 21.

Here's a real example in London - 17 months. Not me.

May 2021- served section 21 notice (6 months notice)
December 2021- application for accelerated possession.
May 2022- possession of property
October 2022- bailiff eviction

And think if accelerated possession can't be used because of some problem with the paperwork.

No doubt. I can’t keep up with the nonsense. If I have a tenant on periodic, I can give 2 months notice whatever, right? Moving forward I’m tempted to do short term lets of 3 months at a time at a higher rent (payable up front). I’d never kick out a good existing tenant, obviously.

You can give 2 months notice but if they don't go you have to go to court and then to the bailiffs. I'm not sure how airbnb type (short term) lettings work -- someone told me that if the tenant doesn't go at the end of the term then you have the same process and timescales to deal with -- court and bailiffs warrant.

FFS. What’s the minimum period where someone actually has to leave at the end of the agreed term??!!

Might book in to the Savoy, cancel the credit card and chance my luck.

Can you smoke them out?

You know, there are people who think they'll go on holiday for three months and rent out their house while they're away to help pay for it. At the end of the three months the people who are in there stay, won't go. And the owners have no right of entry. They will get their house back of course, but not without a court order and a bailiffs warrant etc -- 17 months in London!

FFS. What’s the minimum period where someone actually has to leave at the end of the agreed term??!!

Might book in to the Savoy, cancel the credit card and chance my luck.

It's been no good for years, not since they refurbished the grill room.

You know, there are people who think they'll go on holiday for three months and rent out their house while they're away to help pay for it. At the end of the three months the people who are in there stay, won't go. And the owners have no right of entry. They will get their house back of course, but not without a court order and a bailiffs warrant etc -- 17 months in London!

Nightmare. It can work though. My sister rents her house out for the peak 8 weeks of summer (Cornwall, which is hell on earth that time of year) for circa £3K a week. They clear off to France in their motorhome, effectively all paid for. It’s quite a lot of work but obviously worthwhile, they have trustworthy people who keep an eye on everything and do the changeovers etc.

I was amazed to see a clip of the panorama programme . many developments cant go ahead due to lack of capacity in the cloud .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001hzb3

Yes, I caught this last night whilst cooking supper. The cloud is just somebody else’s computer. How the hell do people think it’s all powered and cooled! Had to laugh at them complaining about it in Ireland. The situation would change overnight if the Irish govt stopped giving huge tax breaks to US tech giants. Their choice.
The internet is estimated to have generated 3.7% of total CO2 emissions worldwide in 2021, and that number is expected to double by 2025. That's more than shipping (3%) and airlines (2.5 - 3.5%, depending on whether indirect effects are considered). Data servers account for about a quarter of those 3.7%. A single e-mail is between 5 and 50 g of CO2, depending on the size of attachments. The internet does reduce the need to travel, so the high number does bring some benefits.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/128212196#/?channel=RES_BUY
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/126715628#/?channel=RES_BUY
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/130974245#/?channel=RES_BUY

Reduced, reduced, reduced. Not the most fashionable part of Merseyside, but far from the worst. The first 2 are a short walk from Roby station, which is 12 minutes into the city centre.

very nice . the last one is superb vfm seems to me . that would be around 200k in the midlands here

very nice . the last one is superb vfm seems to me . that would be around 200k in the midlands here

A bit too close to the shooty part of Huyton for my liking, though a friend lives on that street & has no problems. Knowsley has some of the worst education results in the country though, so not a place for ambitious parents.

So much for declining values. In the red hot property cauldron of Market Rasen, mid Lincolnshire, a mate was trying to pick up a cut price terrace at auction. Good ones in the street were fetching £110k tenanted, £120k with vacant possession. This one was a wreck, dry rot, needed rewiring, broken back due to settlkng, etc. OK, if it comes in cheap, we'll see. It went through for £70k plus 10 in fees. Ouch.

Not sure. It's a low wage area, maybe 5-600 pm.
Edit - just checked, 2 bed terraces about 600pm.

It’s not a bad part of the world is it? Can think of worse things for someone to do with some cash. Not worth doing if borrowing though IMHO.

It’s not a bad part of the world is it? Can think of worse things for someone to do with some cash. Not worth doing if borrowing though IMHO.
It's a pleasant little town, rather dull and very little there other than the horse racing. It's not far from Lincoln, has a railway station, links to Newark. This makes occasional commuting to London a possibility.

advertisement

Back