advertisement

Scottish Independence - Court case lost

a reunified Ireland

I like the idea, but I'm afraid you're going to have to wait a wee while for that one. The conundrum of three-quarters of as million unwilling Unionists has not been solved, and it'll be some time before more sensible people are present in sufficient numbers.

P.S. In today's Irish Times:

A Border Poll this decade remains likely and preparing for it is essential
The evidence-based, constructive, civic dialogue on how best to achieve Irish unity defies the noisy, ugly caricatures of its critics

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/...ins-likely-and-preparing-for-it-is-essential/

The IT has conducted a number of surveys, and the results are interesting.

Last edited:
Rishi Sunak and Nicola Sturgeon to hold talks in Scotland

Sunak has spoken of wanting to "reset" the often fractious relationship between the two governments.

Source: BBC

The nationalists lost the court case so let’s hope Sturgeon can talk about something other than a referendum on breaking up the UK. For example, the UK NHS and the cost of living in the UK.

It appears she could not.

In fact after Thursday night's dinner, which lasted abour an hour and a quarter, the first minister was off like a rocket, giving the most perfunctory of interviews to the BBC in the murk outside the hotel, her breath frosting on the chilly Highland air, before heading back down the A9.

For those who dislike flags there are plenty on show at the BBC link, though of course, they are in Scotland, so no worries. :)

I think that the SNP are using the row over the Gender Assignment law as the first round of the Indyref2 campaign.

I think that the SNP are using the row over the Gender Assignment law as the first round of the Indyref2 campaign.

Yes, it doesn’t really matter what the issue is, it’s just something topical and convenient to have a political fight about and argue why independence is essential.

^^^ total bollocks, of course...

https://twitter.com/markmcgeoghegan/status/1615391199115739138
Idea that the SNP engineered a constitutional face-off with UK Govt over a policy they've had since 2016, when UK Govt held the same position, is difficult for me to take seriously.

Add to that that the issue cuts across their voter base & movement, and it's even less credible.
I do think Scot Gov likely anticipated the challenge. I think they'd have to be blind and deaf not to have considered it in their calculations.

So why push ahead? Maybe because they think they're right, that they'll win the legal fight, and think that fight is worth having.
Amen to that last sentence.

^^^ total bollocks, of course...

https://twitter.com/markmcgeoghegan/status/1615391199115739138

Amen to that last sentence.
The Gender Recognition bill was passed by a 2/3 majority of Scotland’s Parliament. Members of every party represented, inc the Tories, voted in favour of the bill. It had been amended debated at great length with wide community consultation.

The action of the Conservative Govt in Westminster has the appearance of sheer opportunism. They will fight their culture war in every corner of these islands.

Katy Montgomerie is really worth listening to on this one, she manages to pack heck a lot of facts into a two minute answer (Twitter). As with everything the Tories do the optics are everything. They saw an opportunity to bash both the SNP and the trans community and jumped at it seemingly without grasping the scope of existing law. I sincerely hope it ends up in a court very soon. I’ll certainly help crowd fund legal action if there is an opportunity.

I guess it comes down to whether 16 year olds can make that decision . Keir and rishi think not
They aren’t alone in that.

I deleted this and some other important info yesterday because it’s a topic that can’t be discussed in a mature and rational manner, however, the info is relevant to recent posts.

Whatever some wish to force onto people as truth, there is not universal support for the bill in Scotland, or within the nationalist party.

The SNP suffered its biggest backbench revolt at stage one of the bill, but with the Scottish Greens making gender recognition changes a key plank of their cooperation agreement with the nationalists, and broad support from Labour and the Lib Dems, the balance of votes remains in the bill’s favour.
Source: The Guardian

Polling of Scots reported by The Herald
In December, Yougov carried out a survey of 1090 Scots om behalf of the Times newspaper, asking them if they agreed with the changes to the rules.

On the medical issue, three-out-of-five people, or 60%, said they disagreed with the proposal to do away with a dysphoria diagnosis

When it came to lowering the age limit, opposition rose to 66%, with 21% in favour, while there was also little backing for the plan to shorten the time a person would need to live in their acquired gender.

Of those polled, 59% said they were opposed to this change, with 21% in support.

Only on the question of making a false declaration was support and opposition switched, with 59% in agreement it shouldbe an offence against 15% disagreeing.

Last edited:
Just saw this one.

Trans prisoners in Scotland to be placed according to birth gender

Newly convicted or remanded transgender prison inmates will initially be placed in jails according to their gender at birth, the Scottish Prison Service (SPS) has confirmed.

Scottish Conservative leader Douglas Ross urged the first minister to publish in full the review of the Bryson case at First Minister's Questions earlier on Thursday, with Ms Sturgeon pledging only to release the key findings.

The full report should be published but party politics comes first.

You stand with Douglas Ross on this then?

I know you won’t understand, but trying to pin me in the same camp as Ross doesn’t work. For me, a tory such as Ross and a nationalist such as Sturgeon both buy into horrible ideology, I stand by neither and I despise what they stand for.

In my view, the subject is more important than your nationalism. The report should be published in full. Do you support that or not, or is there no limit to the depth nationalists will go?

is there no limit to the depth nationalists will go?

I think you know the answer to that Brian. There really isn’t. Independence at any cost, that’s the #1 objective. Little difference to UKIP when it comes down to it.

I agree with this McDonald fella in his criticism of Sturgeon but obviously I don't stand with the nationalist party in Scotland.

Sturgeon is so consumed by nationalism she is clueless on everything else, as she will hopefully continue to prove by ignoring him.

SNP MP Stewart McDonald criticises Nicola Sturgeon's independence strategy

Source: BBC as linked
I think you know the answer to that Brian. There really isn’t. Independence at any cost, that’s the #1 objective. Little difference to UKIP when it comes down to it.
I know things are tough right now guys but c’mon. Tory and ‘anti-Tory’ meet and make love? OK, provided its behind closed doors.

advertisement

Back