advertisement

Any model makers here? This is a nice little add on.

BUT...back in my day, it was basically humbrol or airfix enamel paint, horrible smelly stuff that needed thinners. For this kit, I ordered all the right acrylic paints (Vallejo) and I have to say - they are dreadful! Are all acrylic paints this bad? - they don't go on evenly at all, there are visible brush marks everywhere, the coverage is terrible and on a large area they look ghastly! And it has no adhesion at all either. I've tried thinning with water and also with Vallejo acrylic thinners - no difference.

But anyway.... where am I going wrong with acrylics?

That's how they are. They dry to quickly when using a brush, better of with good old humbrol. They work much better with an airbrush, but that's very messy, you need an spray booth and cleaning the airbrush afterwards isn't exactly fun either.

A trick to avoid brush marks is to staple the paint on with a sponge.

Tamika now do the acrylics in mini spray cans. Not all colours, but it works very well. Specially useful for undercoating.

Last edited:
95% done. Decals and a bit of touching up and she's done
Tamiya rules. Fit and finish of these kits is amazing.

nearly. Top view by John Dutfield, on Flickr

Plumbing, brake lines magnetised fairing covers in place
plumbing by John Dutfield, on Flickr

My little 3.5mm home designed Tacho.....(never thought it's print. Well done Epson!)
new tacho face in place by John Dutfield, on Flickr

and the lot loose fitted to test all out
Fits exactly...try that on an Airfix after 500 parts or so :)
Dcals and a final varnish here and there. Hope to finish mid week.

push fit by John Dutfield, on Flickr

Anyone else making anything?

95% done. Decals and a bit of touching up and she's done
Tamiya rules. Fit and finish of these kits is amazing.

nearly. Top view by John Dutfield, on Flickr

Plumbing, brake lines magnetised fairing covers in place
plumbing by John Dutfield, on Flickr

My little 3.5mm home designed Tacho.....(never thought it's print. Well done Epson!)
new tacho face in place by John Dutfield, on Flickr

and the lot loose fitted to test all out
Fits exactly...try that on an Airfix after 500 parts or so :)
Dcals and a final varnish here and there. Hope to finish mid week.

push fit by John Dutfield, on Flickr

Anyone else making anything?

Lovely work John. Very good eye for details.

Ere we go again
Tho I still haven't finished my Airfix Bentley, I'm starting this for something that FITS! :)

Mike Hailwoods 250 TT Honda by John Dutfield, on Flickr

Good grief - I built one of those little 1/12 scale 250/6 models back somewhere around 1980! Wonder if it was the same kit ? There cant have been to many manufacturers doing them in that level of detail.

Inspired by my (relative) success - ie getting most of the bits in roughly the right place - I bought another kit. It's still sitting unstarted beside me in a cupboard here some 40 years later.. :)

bRGaSfzl.jpg

I built lots of models as a kid, @-alan- do you remember them forsale upstairs in McMullans newsagents or upstairs in Leslie Hutchinsons shop?
I built alot of WW2 aeroplanes and tanks to start with, small scale matchbox sized, then when I was about 9 I started building cars, vans and 4wd models. My older brother had some great horror movie models with glow in the dark parts.
That's an impressive build @Rockmeister .
I can see myself starting to build some in the not to distant future :)

I built lots of models as a kid, @-alan- do you remember them forsale upstairs in McMullans newsagents or upstairs in Leslie Hutchinsons shop?
I built alot of WW2 aeroplanes and tanks to start with, small scale matchbox sized, then when I was about 9 I started building cars, vans and 4wd models. My older brother had some great horror movie models with glow in the dark parts.
That's an impressive build @Rockmeister .
I can see myself starting to build some in the not to distant future :)

Yes, we must have trod the same paths manys a time. I remember making the monthly pilgrimage over to McMullens for Cycle World as they were the only shop around who bought in the US bike mags. Proper shop :)

N gauge 9-2-23 by Andrew Clarke, on Flickr

Thanks to the pfm’er who pointed me to this thread. I couldn’t remember the title.

Anyway, my railway now has two working loops, some sidings, and the boards are cut ready for landscaping. A flat layout this isn’t.

The image is of my Class 40 pulling a few coaches round in order to see practically how badly I’ve laid and powered track so far. Just the one point motor no throwing the power to its frog correctly. Result.

Sadly tho the loco has a bent driven wheel. Thankfully Bachmann have a decent spares dept, so a replacement is en route.

Let me know if there is any interest on here for further updates, and I’ll post when something interesting is happening to the railway.

Reactions: MJS

advertisement

Back