advertisement

What's your WTF hifi moment

My WTF moment was the realisation that listening to a track that I was suffering sibilance with at home, sounded exactly the same at the dealers

Problem was...mine was a 30k Naim system and this was a 400k Naim statement system

Made me realise I could never "upgrade" my way out of the thing I disliked with the Naim sound

I sold everything and started again...never to look back!

Then you realize that sibilance you heard is in the track/media and would be heard on any system. ...My Naim system has occasional sibilance too on certain tracks on certain LP's, some tracks have it and some don't on the same LP.

I'm more than happy to judge people who flog batshit-crazy, stupidly priced foo to gullible mug punters.

Yes, but to most people someone spending £100 on a new needle for their record player would be one of those which you describe.

I've bought some Russ Andrews 13A Ultrafuses and installed them in the plugs on my customised RA type mains leads (using old 16 strand Kimber cable).

A positive WTF :)

A few years back at Signals hi-fi show listening to statement amps and a wall full of power supply’s connected to top end Focals, god it sounded dire, played at a ridiculously loud volume, I wanted to leave within 30 seconds, it was only not wanting to appear rude that I didn’t. Pure torture.

Then you realize that sibilance you heard is in the track/media and would be heard on any system. ...My Naim system has occasional sibilance too on certain tracks on certain LP's, some tracks have it and some don't on the same LP.

It is there on some media...correct
But I found Naim emphasised and exaggerated it to a point I was always on edge looking for it
Moving to Avondale gave me a similar sound...but without the "ssshhhh" on certain notes
You should try Avondale...you might be pleasantly surprised at the improvement over (even top end) Naim gear

The only thing I can think of as a WTF moment, was a few months ago when I changed my speaker cable. Up to that point I had been quite happy with what I was hearing on a daily basis from my dealer inspired recommendation, a set of QED XT40's, I changed up to a TQ Black II, don't know why, probably as a mate had lent me his TQ Blue. It was a totally different sound, and I liked it so much I had a demo over Christmas of the Ultra Black II, expecting another WTF moment, but was just a little bit better (£930 over my £216), so was not that enamoured with them

Yes, but to most people someone spending £100 on a new needle for their record player would be one of those which you describe.
No, we all know if wouldn't. This argument is made by people who do feel embarrassed at what they have spent. A £100 needle or £500 amp is like a woman spending £200 on fancy shoes or £500 on a handbag. If she wants to, it's her money. A £1000 mains cable or £500 fuse is like buying a £1000 shoelace or a £2000 hanky.

Hearing this very system at a friends house in KL. Gob well and truly smacked.

4P.jpg

And then someone will argue: “Not if your shoes cost $10000”. That kind of rationalization is used here all the time. :rolleyes:
Well, let them. I've got some stainless steel cable supports, £500 for a set of 3. Also available in brass or copper. Custom made, form an orderly queue. I might even get some made up for tenners by a local engineering outfit and chance my arm. It's a low risk punt. "OK, reduced to £200 a set." You wouldn't have to sell very many.

Was it good or bad?

If you like what they do there is nothing like them. I’ve heard a similar though slightly smaller system. Huge, visceral room-filling sound. Very like a live band playing. I have a lot of respect for them as unlike most modern audio there is a lot of original thinking here. I’m too much of the ‘studio is the reality’ mindset, so like Shahinians etc they aren’t for me (plus they need an absolutely massive room and very deep pockets). Very interesting speakers. Everyone should hear them.

advertisement

Back