advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

That is very interesting/worrying. I rapidly decided I didn’t like them so have mine in knock-off MoFi-style ‘archival’ sleeves (Amazon) which seem identical to the ones Chad specs on the Acoustic Sounds reissues. They are very good value in the 100 packs. I felt the Tone Poet sleeves felt hard enough to leave scuffs if there was any dust on the surface so didn’t want to risk it. I’ve kept them all in case I ever sell-up.

Certainly worth those with TPs checking their oldest.

I'm not sure why they've decided to go with those inner sleeves on the TPs.

I always used to use the Nagaoka 102 inner sleeves and put them inside the original inner. The Nagoaka 102 become very difficult to get during lockdown and I've switched to the Katta sleeves which seem very similar for about a third of the price.

https://www.hhv.de/shop/en/katta-protective-sleeves-covers/p:fVseUz

I''ll definitely give the Spincare sleeves you've linked a try. I didn't get on with their rounded-bottom 'Dynamic' ones as they were too thick (almost felt like a similar material to the TP stock inners), but I find their outer covers excellent and I do like the standard inners on the Verve series.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yes, here it is. This was the appearance of the inner sleeve straight out of the sealed jacket and the same pattern is apparent on the vinyl. 2015 pressing of For One To Love - Cecile McLorin Salvant. Both sides of the sleeve are scrunched up and it certainly looks and feels the same as the TP inners to my untrained eye.

I usually replace mine mainly with the same ones Tony links to above or the MoFi ones after cleaning. This though prompted me to remember I hadn’t hadn’t changed some of the earlier ones. I just inspected the two earliest Tone Poets from 2019 Shorter’s Etc and Corea’s NHSNHS and there does seem to some effect. Neither are as bad as Gavin reports and I can’t see it on the sleeves. On the vinyl NHSNHS seems completely clean, but Etc shows a few broad marks along one side just on the first track. So it seems some variability that maybe due to storage conditions, temperature, humidity, etc plus the length of time in the sleeves.

It does seem sensible to replace them all though and I will give them a further clean and do that. I need to do that with my Music Matters 2x45rpm reissues (RTI pressed) as well as there is a known problem with the early Inner sleeves of those as well.

My suspicion now is that RTI is using these inners to better protect against seam splits in transit rather than for archival purposes. They might not be exactly the same today as in 2015, who knows, but I'd get rid...

I’ve been using those spincare ones for several years now and they seem absolutely fine. The main reason I use them is that is seems counter productive to clean a record and put it back in the original filthy sleeve.

My suspicion now is that RTI is using these inners to better protect against seam splits in transit rather than for archival purposes. They might not be exactly the same today as in 2015, who knows, but I'd get rid...
Gavin is it just earlier than about 2015 that this is really showing up. If so that would agree with the warning about the Music Matters RTI sleeves from that period and before that showed problems. They may have moved to better sleeve or it maybe that it takes more 3 years for the problem to manifest as my copy of Ect. did show a bit of the problem. So still the safest way is to clean and replace to be sure.

There is no visual change in Tone Poet inners to my eyes, if they changed at all over the years I can’t see any clue. I have all my TP inners in a randomised pile and I’ll have a close look later, but I’m pretty sure they are all the same.

A word of warning - those RTI inners that come with the TPs leach contaminants onto the record over time. I recently bought a mint, sealed RTI from 2015 or so and the surface looks dreadful, fortunately inaudible but it doesn't clear even with strong IPA solution.

You clean records with beer??

I’m not sure how many bought or passed on Donald Byrd - ‘At The Half Note Cafe’ as I have not noticed much comment about it here. I have now played it quite a few times and can’t get enough of it. Ok it may not be breakthrough or cutting edge, although there is great construction and imaginative invention in ‘Cecile’ with its key changes, modulations and shifts in pace, but this is a fabulous recording with all the musicians are on top form, not vying with one another, just working together to get the best from each song. Listen to how they all get the best from the Ballard - A Portrait Of Jennie. Beautiful subtle playing from in particularly from Byrd, Pepper Adams and Pearson.

This is one of the very RVG best live recordings as well. Probably one of best of any live Jazz Club Recordings, at least that I have period. Byrd and Pepper’s tonality are captured beautifully with not even a slight hint of overly hot miking on Byrd’s Trumpet. Pepper’s Baritone sounds about the best I have heard this difficult to capture sax on record. If I wanted to be hyper critical Pearson’s piano still has a bit of RVG boxiness and is perhaps a bit low in level, but possibly I just want to hear even more of his excellent solos and comping . The front to back depth of the recording is outstanding with the audience noises audible in the back ground throughout, but not disturbing the music. Really captures the Jazz Club atmosphere. The applause sounds way back, but still very real as does Ruth Mason’s opening introduction at the start. For those who do not know she went on to marry Alfred Lion and was a big influence on him and Blue Note as well as the model on a couple of covers.

Top recommendation of this Tone Poet from me as it is in my top tier of those released so far. I’m just regretting they did not release it as a double with volume 2.

https://www.namm.org/library/oral-history/dr-ruth-lion

Top recommendation of this Tone Poet from me as it is in my top tier of those released so far. I’m just regretting they did not release it as a double with volume 2.

Posted today on SHF:

“So we got the okay to announce that Joe and Kevin will be mastering Donald Byrd's "Live At The Half Note Cafe Vol. 2 in a few months and maybe a 2025 release, but just speculation right now.
He got to listen recently to the test pressing of "Let Freedom Ring" and said it sounded great! (I hope he's being humble about that)”

I’m more excited about having a nicer copy of Let Freedom Ring, which is essential IMO. Great artwork too.

I agree essential, but I have two reasonably good pressings of ‘Let Freedom Ring’ so Although tempted, especially if a Stoughton gatefold with photos, I may pass.

I’m not sure how many bought or passed on Donald Byrd - ‘At The Half Note Cafe’ as I have not noticed much comment about it here. I have now played it quite a few times and can’t get enough of it. Ok it may not be breakthrough or cutting edge, although there is great construction and imaginative invention in ‘Cecile’ with its key changes, modulations and shifts in pace, but this is a fabulous recording with all the musicians are on top form, not vying with one another, just working together to get the best from each song. Listen to how they all get the best from the Ballard - A Portrait Of Jennie. Beautiful subtle playing from in particularly from Byrd, Pepper Adams and Pearson.

This is one of the very RVG best live recordings as well. Probably one of best of any live Jazz Club Recordings, at least that I have period. Byrd and Pepper’s tonality are captured beautifully with not even a slight hint of overly hot miking on Byrd’s Trumpet. Pepper’s Baritone sounds about the best I have heard this difficult to capture sax on record. If I wanted to be hyper critical Pearson’s piano still has a bit of RVG boxiness and is perhaps a bit low in level, but possibly I just want to hear even more of his excellent solos and comping . The front to back depth of the recording is outstanding with the audience noises audible in the back ground throughout, but not disturbing the music. Really captures the Jazz Club atmosphere. The applause sounds way back, but still very real as does Ruth Mason’s opening introduction at the start. For those who do not know she went on to marry Alfred Lion and was a big influence on him and Blue Note as well as the model on a couple of covers.

https://www.namm.org/library/oral-history/dr-ruth-lion
Enjoying this right now Jim. I’m in the front row of a brilliant gig (well half of it). More of this sort of thing!

Yes, here it is. This was the appearance of the inner sleeve straight out of the sealed jacket and the same pattern is apparent on the vinyl. 2015 pressing of For One To Love - Cecile McLorin Salvant. Both sides of the sleeve are scrunched up and it certainly looks and feels the same as the TP inners to my untrained eye.

I ended up with dozens of my LPs covered in muck that came off some rather expensive Mo-Fi inner sleeves a few years ago. Not noticed any damage from the Tome Poet inners yet.

Just taken a punt on the Byrd, £34 at Amazon which seems fine given the Hutcherson San Fransisco BN Classic I also want is still £29, which I’m not paying!

PS Can you describe the muck from the MoFi inners? That is worrying. I’ve only got one or two of them and haven’t noticed anything here.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Just taken a punt on the Byrd, £34 at Amazon which seems fine given the Hutcherson San Fransisco BN Classic I also want is still £29, which I’m not paying!
You neeeed the Bobby Hutch though!

My feelings too. Don’t understand why that one’s so dear but I’ve had it with those kinds of prices.

advertisement

Back