advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

That's the only Rolex I like. Agreed - very nice.

If I had the cash I'd love a pre-war Rolex. That I should be this beautiful at 90 years old.

RolexChrono3a.jpg

That's the only Rolex I like. Agreed - very nice.
Now I’m looking for a high magnetic field to test it. ATC have an impressive magnetiser - a cupboard full of capacitors shorting across 1 ohm should do it! Whump.

I wiped out a Seiko that way many years ago. I could never understand why it didn’t keep time.

I need some help. My daily wearer was a 20 year old Accurist MB278.

dd931786-e58e-47bb-bdb8-463ca57e07eb.jpg

Sadly, the strap died (links bent and it fell to bits) and getting a replacement is impossible, so I've had it replaced with a leather strap. Unfortunately it doesn't say "wear me" any more.

I could buy a 'new' old watch off e-bay, but I think I'd like a new watch. Is anyone aware of something similar to this for sale new? I like it because it isn't too blingy, has a blue face and, importantly is a nice size has a case of only 35mm and about 8mm thick. And it has a 10 year battery life (which is nice). I can't remember what I paid for it (I think it may have been a pressy) but I'm looking to spend no more than £100.

Any pointers gratefully received.

I need some help. My daily wearer was a 20 year old Accurist MB278.

dd931786-e58e-47bb-bdb8-463ca57e07eb.jpg

Sadly, the strap died (links bent and it fell to bits) and getting a replacement is impossible, so I've had it replaced with a leather strap. Unfortunately it doesn't say "wear me" any more.

I could buy a 'new' old watch off e-bay, but I think I'd like a new watch. Is anyone aware of something similar to this for sale new? I like it because it isn't too blingy, has a blue face and, importantly is a nice size has a case of only 35mm and about 8mm thick. And it has a 10 year battery life (which is nice). I can't remember what I paid for it (I think it may have been a pressy) but I'm looking to spend no more than £100.

Any pointers gratefully received.

This Casio: Casio Men Analogue Quartz Watch with Stainless Steel Strap EFR-S108D-1AVUEF https://amzn.eu/d/cfiaTkY

Now I’m looking for a high magnetic field to test it.

Oh, I don't think you really want to test it that much; it is far too much a lovely thing!

Yet if you insist, well one of the sideline specialties I have is architectural coordination of installing medical scanners that are capable of sustained 3 Tesla + fields. Which I warn you now, you'll need to keep even that lovely thing ...a significant distance-away-from - I can provide the isogauss curves ;)

Sold the Seiko and got myself this Nomos

even came with a 2nd dial

Hmm. The jury's still out for me - the VIII and IV seem a bit odd. They do look very 'Germanic'

If they had a spare dial with all arabic numerals, or even straight tick markers, I could warm to them.

Hmm. The jury's still out for me - the VIII and IV seem a bit odd. They do look very 'Germanic'

If they had a spare dial with all arabic numerals, or even straight tick markers, I could warm to them.

That model is the Club Campus, the just ‘Club’ model has all Arabic numbers and looks a lot better IMHO.

Cheers BB

Now I’m looking for a high magnetic field to test it. ATC have an impressive magnetiser - a cupboard full of capacitors shorting across 1 ohm should do it! Whump.

I wiped out a Seiko that way many years ago. I could never understand why it didn’t keep time.
Do you still have it? My orange Monster started keeping terrible time. Years later I came across my hand held AC tape head demagnetiser. A few passes over the watch & the problem was solved! (The power reserve is only a few hours now though so it needs professional attention.)

I wondered if it was original or a redial? It looks very bright and well preserved for a 1930s original.

I'd say it's a rather valuable thing, which would be devalued hugely if anything were to happen the original dial - possibly a very detailed/expensive restoration ?

I wondered if it was original or a redial? It looks very bright and well preserved for a 1930s original.

It's just a random Google Images result for "bubbleback california" so I know nothing of its provenance.

Certainly at the very least it has been aggressively cleaned and restored.

Oh, I don't think you really want to test it that much; it is far too much a lovely thing!

Yet if you insist, well one of the sideline specialties I have is architectural coordination of installing medical scanners that are capable of sustained 3 Tesla + fields. Which I warn you now, you'll need to keep even that lovely thing ...a significant distance-away-from - I can provide the isogauss curves ;)
I’m pretty sure the agricultural inspection MRI machine killed my SARB. I stupidly checked the “are you bringing in food” box on the US customs form since I had some digestive biscuits in my carry on. They then pointed me to the big machine and insisted I put all my bags through. I forgot I’d stashed my watch in my satchel to avoid the metal detector going off. When I pulled the watch out of my bag the next day it was dead.

I’m pretty sure the agricultural inspection MRI machine killed my SARB. I stupidly checked the “are you bringing in food” box on the US customs form since I had some digestive biscuits in my carry on. They then pointed me to the big machine and insisted I put all my bags through. I forgot I’d stashed my watch in my satchel to avoid the metal detector going off. When I pulled the watch out of my bag the next day it was dead.

To be fair it can only be magnetism and is a very quick and easy fix Dan

Do you still have it? My orange Monster started keeping terrible time. Years later I came across my hand held AC tape head demagnetiser. A few passes over the watch & the problem was solved! (The power reserve is only a few hours now though so it needs professional attention.)
I do still have it, but it’s in a bad way, as I think someone (ok, it was me) tried to reseal it with a dab of silicon grease, which has now migrated over the innards, so even a new battery doesn’t wake it up. I only keep it as it was a present from my parents for getting my first degree. Would be nice to revive it, but it think it would need a complete rebuild.

That's the most attractive Roles I have ever seen, so much better than modern bling fests. What would that sell for?

Retail for pre-war Rolex chronos seems to start at around £15k. Similar watches by other Swiss manufacturers like Tissot, Universal etc are nearer £2k. I think cronos from this period are stunning - though I'm conscious early movements were never as robust as modern watches even when new so there's always the prospect of a costly service/repair round the corner. It would definitely be a 'weekend watch' only if I had one.

advertisement

Back