advertisement

HiFi: old man's (end)game?

I still shed a virtual tear at airports that Concorde has gone. I loved watching it fly over. My best friend’s mum went on a round trip in it, her dream and the best day of her life. Iconic design, an emblem of technology and pre Brexit Britain, sentenced to death for various reasons but the final nail being driven by a shitty (Continental Airlines) plane dropping bits of metal on the runway.
The final nail was more likely 9/11 killing demand and as already stated Airbus dropping spares supply.

I still shed a virtual tear at airports that Concorde has gone. I loved watching it fly over. My best friend’s mum went on a round trip in it, her dream and the best day of her life. Iconic design, an emblem of technology and pre Brexit Britain, sentenced to death for various reasons but the final nail being driven by a shitty (Continental Airlines) plane dropping bits of metal on the runway.

Until the mid-90s, AF001 used to depart JFK at 1:00PM, to land in CDG at 10:45PM. I was working for PanAm as a A&E Mechanic/Machinist at the time and would go out behind Hanger 19 at the end of the runway frequently -lunch time- to watch the Concord taxi all the way to the end of 13R when the wind was coming out of the South -JFK's longest runway @ 14,511 feet. When Concord reached the end -no other aircraft came that deep to take of other than Antonov and to taxi to their hangers for maintenance/inspection including rarely Concord outside our Hanger 19- it would turn around apply brakes and await clearance from the tower while sitting there about a 10th mile in front of me. Then with brakes applied and throttle up plumes of brown exhaust shot back, ground shaking and air crackling, brakes released and she bolted down the runway until it was out of sight, then in the far distance you'd see it 's unique nose lift and away it went veering SW over Jamaica Bay and quickly out of sight again but you still heard it for another 30 seconds, in fact I lived 26 East of JFK and regularly heard that 1300 flight throttle up. I miss that too.

re: Concorde

My Father in law used Concorde many times (30-40+) and has various flight souvenirs that he picked up on the flights. He has them on a shelf in his office.

the font? pink fish media.

I had never noticed.

Yes, I’ve used that design since the early ‘90s!

PS I removed your link as it is one of those scam sites that tries to charge a massive fee for registering what can be done vastly more affordably straight from the government Intellectual Property Office.

The logo is done, it’s the white thing at the top left of the page. It’s a proper registered trade-mark!
Have you ever thought about hiring a consultant to refresh the branding? Maybe they could rename it to a meaningless made-up word at the same time.

I removed your link as it is one of those scam sites that tries to charge a massive fee for registering what can be done vastly more affordably straight from the government Intellectual Property Office.

Ah, thanks for telling me as I thought I was having (another) memory moment. I was going to post it again, as I thought I had done, and then it wasn’t there. Just thought it was my brain not functioning, as per usual.

I first saw a Concorde in the metal at Heathrow. What struck me, aside from its elegance, was how small but loud it is. ...
I have twice found myself sitting in just the right window seat on a 'plane queuing behind Concorde for a dusk take-off. The roar was magnificent and watching the beautiful very long pale lilac glow from the afterburners behind the elegant shape was sensational. Very memorable occasions.

Today’s pfm music room threads: Pink Floyd, Bob Marley, Bonnie Raitt, Echo and the Bunnymen, Peter Gabriel...

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

I actually I posed a question - do we need an audiophile pressing of Exodus - or any reggae for that matter since there is about to be a £100+ uhqr release. That's somewhat different to the case you are making here ;)

I wish I knew how to make pfm attractive to a younger audience.

I suspect youngsters don't go on any forums whatsoever regardless of subject. They're an archaic way of discussing/gaining info, only one step removed from mid 90s message boards. Reddit is the modern equivalent, so if you're want to attract youngsters to this hobby that's the place to focussing your attention.

And of course hifi itself is seen as archaic for all the other reasons mentioned.

And of course hifi itself is seen as archaic for all the other reasons mentioned.

I’m really not convinced about this. First off I’m not interested in ‘all young folk’ any more than I am ‘all’ anyone else. I have never had any interest in the mass market.

Whenever I watch a YouTube video about the current vinyl market, current music scene etc there are always people half my age or less featured and they almost always have what I would consider very good hi-fi systems. Usually good used kit e.g. a Technics or Pioneer turntable, restored ‘70s Marantz or Pioneer receiver, a nice chunky pair of speakers and a CD player and often a cassette deck. Occasionally one sees new kit e.g. a Rega turntable, Kef LS50s and some appropriate amp or other. They are very much what I see as my demographic. They are doing what I did/do. I’ve never had any interest in the mass market at all. pfm is very much an outlier’s site and always has been. A niche within a niche.

To be honest the folk who are interested are likely here or on their way anyway. pfm is a very well indexed site that has been around for decades, it is linked as a source on countless other sites etc. It is not hard to find at all. Folk will always gravitate towards content that interests them and there is no requirement to state age or make any formal introductions here.

Good Morning All,

I can remember watching/ hearing Concorde come into land when anchored off Bahrain. Any pictures showing it take-off or landing were always accompanied by very visible plumes of not fully burnt hydrocarbons - it wasn't the most efficient user of aviation fuel.

On a positive note it was fantastic looking aircraft.

Regards

Richard

advertisement

Back