advertisement

Analogue Man, Retired. (Simon Yorke)

I've watched him a few times on YT and have always wondered if he's in the autism spectrum, or on substances.

Probably the only piece of hi-fi I'd be just about willing buy as a decorative item, love his designs to bits.
I’m an ASD support worker (and I’m working towards a career in mental health care)… I’d say it’s much more likely the former than the latter.

I went to see Fontaines DC in Bristol after 6 Music had been playing tracks from their first album quite a lot and I reckon ~80% of the audience were in the 40-60 year old range (including me sadly) still trying to look vaguely 'hip'. It was both funny and a little tragic.
Radio 6 listeners . Nothing vaguely funny or tragic about it

Bless him. I do hope he enjoys a long and happy retirement. I've never been able to afford any of his work and wish it were otherwise.
I enjoyed the video I've seen of him. He seemed funny in his own way and I bet he's a hugely entertaining dinner guest.
I'm in no position to judge his mental health and his sexism is no worse than lots of the old folks I know. I guess you just fall behind. Let's not be too hard on him. I've seen a lot worse.
Good luck Simon!

70-AD062-E-0-A8-E-4638-8-F19-F30-EB1-DC0071.jpg

I own his latest S9 III. It looks more stunning than the old models that sit on a dark gray slab. It is the simplest arm/turntable I have owned in my 20 years of vinyl as a hobby. To my ear it sounds fantastic; midrange, bass, dynamics and musicality are all there in the right proportion. Sometimes makes me wonder how important are the 100kg mass stability, magnetic/air vibration isolation, 0.0000001 second spin accuracy, and super hard and light arm with angle adjusting headshell contribute to the enjoyment of music.

A few months later I ordered a custom made arm tower to add an Triplanar VII arm with a Koetsu Rosewood Sig. It sounds right but differs from the S9 arm (with an old Benz Micro LP); it seems to lose some life in the music. These two arms are quite the two ends of the spectrum; one has don't know how many parts on it and the other is basically a rod balancing on an inverted needle tip. I remember a critic said it is made this way because it is cheap and easy to make. I think he is right and I also think there is nothing wrong with cheap and easy to make.

From the video Simon comes across as a typical artist; if you know some you will not think he is unusual.

pic of your S9 III please?
I own his latest S9 III. It looks more stunning than the old models that sit on a dark gray slab. It is the simplest arm/turntable I have owned in my 20 years of vinyl as a hobby. To my ear it sounds fantastic; midrange, bass, dynamics and musicality are all there in the right proportion. Sometimes makes me wonder how important are the 100kg mass stability, magnetic/air vibration isolation, 0.0000001 second spin accuracy, and super hard and light arm with angle adjusting headshell contribute to the enjoyment of music.

A few months later I ordered a custom made arm tower to add an Triplanar VII arm with a Koetsu Rosewood Sig. It sounds right but differs from the S9 arm (with an old Benz Micro LP); it seems to lose some life in the music. These two arms are quite the two ends of the spectrum; one has don't know how many parts on it and the other is basically a rod balancing on an inverted needle tip. I remember a critic said it is made this way because it is cheap and easy to make. I think he is right and I also think there is nothing wrong with cheap and easy to make.

From the video Simon comes across as a typical artist; if you know some you will not think he is unusual.
The system for adding photos on here isn't very friendly but if you could manage a few I'm sure we would love to see them.
Its also great to hear from someone who actually knows Simon Yorke even if its 'only' as a customer.

Yes, ChatGPT messed that up giving him credit for the Funk arm, fittingly it appears Digital isn't perfect after all.

ChatGPT told my daughter I was dead. An opportunity to use the famous Twain response: "reports of my death are exaggerated".

advertisement

Back