advertisement

What's your WTF hifi moment

Dean Jordan

pfm Member
Not much in hifi shocks me. I have heard small sound huge, expensive things sound terrible, things I thought would cost the earth be reasonable and things that I thought be cheap cost way more than.

This morning I had one of my very few WTF moments when I came across this

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/quantum-science-audio-silver-extreme-level-uk-mains-fuse

Now I showed my wife and she just said do you get lots of them for that price.

£4200 for a fuse. I nearly fell over when I seen the first fuse for £50.

What are your WTF hifi moments. Can be anything.

Not much in hifi shocks me. I have heard small sound huge, expensive things sound terrible, things I thought would cost the earth be reasonable and things that I thought be cheap cost way more than.

This morning I had one of my very few WTF moments when I came across this

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/quantum-science-audio-silver-extreme-level-uk-mains-fuse

Now I showed my wife and she just said do you get lots of them for that price.

£4200 for a fuse. I nearly fell over when I seen the first fuse for £50.

What are your WTF hifi moments. Can be anything.
I bet it’s directional. So it’ll be 50/50 whether it sounds better or worse. Ah well, its only money.

Twice as much speaker cable which obviously lowers resistance improves sound. Who would have thought it.

BUT then realising that some amps prefer to play with a stronger load on the mosfets, hence some amps sound better with more resistive cables.

And so begins the cable debate.

Rather like tonearm mass and cartridge weight, I believe that the cable debate could be ended with simple maths..

Mine was the discovery that people like to remove the upper bearing “bridge” from SME V arms and think this is an improvement.

They know better than a precision engineering company because hifi
Let's see them do the same with a car

The objectivists on this forum like to disparage quantum fuses, but what they don’t recognize is that the very act of measuring changes the fuse’s state. Is it any wonder their measurements are meaningless? The only sensible way such fuses can be assessed is by listening.

Joe

advertisement

Back