advertisement

Analogue Man, Retired. (Simon Yorke)

I cracked a tooth on Thursday and spent an agonising 30 minutes waiting in the dentists reception area seated no more than a few feet away from a speaker tuned to Capital playing track after track of the most repetitively inane auto tuned girly voiced nursery rhyme pop I wanted to scream-truly Guantanamo levels of torture, it was relentless empty headed shite without any of the relief offered by an occasional classy tune/ artist as would’ve happened back in t’day:)

I cracked a tooth on Thursday and spent an agonising 30 minutes waiting in the dentists reception area seated no more than a few feet away from a speaker tuned to Capital playing track after track of the most repetitively inane auto tuned girly voiced nursery rhyme pop I wanted to scream-truly Guantanamo levels of torture, it’s empty headed shite.

I used to go to a place that had a TV mounted directly above the dentists chair playing a non-stop C&W channel...

Simon had me when he talked about needing stadium lighting to see anything and the perils of implicitly trusting a fart, but he lost me when he disparaged the yout’ and commented about young women being glued to phones. Old people are just as bad, and their use of emoticons on phones is egregious and preposterous.

Joe

:p:p:p:D:D:eek::p:eek::eek::eek::eek::oops:

I cracked a tooth on Thursday and spent an agonising 30 minutes waiting in the dentists reception area seated no more than a few feet away from a speaker tuned to Capital playing track after track of the most repetitively inane auto tuned girly voiced nursery rhyme pop I wanted to scream-truly Guantanamo levels of torture, it was relentless empty headed shite without any of the relief offered by an occasional classy tune/ artist as would’ve happened back in t’day:)

Thing is... your parents, and most certainly grandparents, probably thought the same about your choice of listening when you were a teenager. My grandfather had some rum comments about watching top of the pops back in he day! He was only slight less disparaging when I played Supertramp's Crime of the Century on his Hacker stereo!

You poor sod- would have been torture!

I must be lucky. Last time I had anything semi-serious done, my dentist asked me if I wanted to listen to anything whilst the procedure was carried out. Something by Jean Sibelius was perhaps not what she was expecting to hear, but she went along with it. I did have to steer her assistant away from putting on the 4th Symphony as I didn't want them deciding to try to end my life mid-drill. :D

I wonder if they had a PPL license?

Thing is... your parents, and most certainly grandparents, probably thought the same about your choice of listening when you were a teenager. My grandfather had some rum comments about watching top of the pops back in he day! He was only slight less disparaging when I played Supertramp's Crime of the Century on his Hacker stereo!
Beg to differ, this stuff is moronic, if you’d dropped it back in the 70 s it would still be moronic, it’s music for 7 year olds listened to by 20 year olds, there’s plenty of contemporary music that is challenging and interesting that I take great pleasure in turning my kids on to, what’s happened is Clear channel and their ilk have reduced variety and choice to zero within their set demographics so tune into Capital and you won’t hear anything you’d expect on 6 Music for example.

6 Music is aimed at middle aged people in denial.

I went to see Fontaines DC in Bristol after 6 Music had been playing tracks from their first album quite a lot and I reckon ~80% of the audience were in the 40-60 year old range (including me sadly) still trying to look vaguely 'hip'. It was both funny and a little tragic.

I went to see Fontaines DC in Bristol after 6 Music had been playing tracks from their first album quite a lot and I reckon ~80% of the audience were in the 40-60 year old range (including me sadly) still trying to look vaguely 'hip'. It was both funny and a little tragic.

Ha! I don't see the problem really. Better than settling down in your beige Dunn & Co slacks to an evening listening to Michael Buble CDs : )

Intrigued by the musical snobbery being expressed in the last two posts I had a listen to Fontaines DC on Spotify. A band I have never heard of and now hopefully will never hear of again.

All I can say is give me Michael Buble any day.

That wasn’t the case at the Liverpool gig I went to. My daughter and her mates revelled in reminding me that my friends and I were “easily the oldest in the room”! I wouldn’t mind, but I’d bought her the ticket!

advertisement

Back