advertisement

Rugby Six Nations 2023

Whaleblue

Southbound
Not the start we (me - England, Mrs Wb - Wales) were looking for yesterday.

Good games though - as is the Italy vs. France game that’s on now.

However, what prompted the thread (I can’t find an existing one - the My My Delilah one doesn’t count!) - is that many of the teams are sporting the player’s names on their shirts!

What’s that about?!

They'll be wanting squad numbers next.

My oh my....what a game!

Have Italy ever led France before...?

My oh my....what a game!

Have Italy ever led France before...?
Just think, a short while ago there was a move to exclude Italy from the Six Nations because they “weren't any good”. Even though by virtue of my (much-diluted) French blood I support France after England, I was cheering the Italians on. Great games so far.

Ireland will win. France 2nd and England 3rd unfortunately...

I'm torn. Half Scottish and I went to school with and played rugby with Mr Borthwick albeit he was a year my junior at Hutton.

Played a few seasons at Grasshoppers too, but I was sliding into league more and he was racing through the A squad and showing us all how bloody good a tactician he was...

The team will learn his ways and they'll soon gel... But they are just a bit too nervy unfortunately IMO

It was a corker! So close.

Italy actually have beaten France twice in the 6 nations. 2011 and 2013.

However this French side is a tour de force compared to those wilderness years, so yesterday was perhaps Italy’s greatest performance yet.
I hadn't planned to watch this match - I watched both Saturday matches and didn't want to push my luck, domestically, but was given the all clear and I'm glad I did. It was a very entertaining match.

What struck me though, aside from the obvious point that Italy coped with France rather better than I'd expected, was how scrappy their close-quarters play was and how much fumbling on the ball there seemed to be with Italy. France was achieving turnover far more often than is usually the case in this tournament. I liked the speed and pace Italy injected to the match, but it needs to be achieved with greater surety and precision.

I assumed this was just click bait, but skipped through it anyway. I'm against Kolpak rugby players in principle, while accepting that it's a minority (age- related?) point of view. But 50% of the Scottish team not being home grown surely makes a mockery of the rules, and the championship?

I'm inclined to agree. I was surprised to notice some clearly British names on the French team, for example. I don't follow the game closely, so I'm not aware of the rules or whether this has changed, but it does seem to me that this diminishes the kudos that playing for one's country should give a player.

Well, I’m taking Fruit of Loin #2 to see England v Italy tomorrow. If the game is half as good as that one I’ll be very happy.

I promised her that if England got a bonus point win, I’d treat her to a bottle of champagne in the fan zone champers bar. After the game that Italy gave France last weekend, I think my wallet might be safe from that particular raping, but maybe I’ll do a consolation of a bottle of Prosecco in the William Webb Ellis (Wetherspoons) instead.

Well, I’m taking Fruit of Loin #2 to see England v Italy tomorrow. If the game is half as good as that one I’ll be very happy.

I promised her that if England got a bonus point win, I’d treat her to a bottle of champagne in the fan zone champers bar. After the game that Italy gave France last weekend, I think my wallet might be safe from that particular raping, but maybe I’ll do a consolation of a bottle of Prosecco in the William Webb Ellis (Wetherspoons) instead.

I hope (against hope) that your promise has to be kept. I can't imagine disliking someone enough to take them to a Wetherspoons. ;) A poor England performance can induce self loathing but surely there are limits?

Brilliant Irish performance today, I wonder if some of the older players will be OK for the WC. If those guys hold up, I can see them winning it.

Never mind about bonus points, England will be lucky to win!

advertisement

Back