advertisement

Teacher Strike

HTU

Hundreds Tens Units?

Yea ! Well sussed that man!:). If it had been H T & U even I might have understood. At my first school you could hear the daily times table chanting from a certain elderly schoolmistress who brooked no nonsense. This is, i.m.o., as fundamental to both maths tuition and normal life's progression as it's always been.

B.t.w., 'none' is not a prefix (it's a pronoun); 'non' is.

Many thanks for picking up on that typo. I have now corrected my post to H T U.

I am not thinking straight at the mo as I'm doped up on Co-codamol and find my concentration not as it should be.

DV

I think these days it’s hundreds, tens and ones. It can be thoroughly taught in state primary schools in fact, it’s one of the things Ofsted are keen on, there are good methods (one which came out of Korea was very good, if expensive.)

So is table chanting and singing, which they love. Ofsted are keen on that too. And spelling tests (the kids don’t love that quite so much!)

The whole of teaching should be looked into. A solid foundation in English and Maths is essential but their introduction is mainly (I know some exceptions) by mediocre trained teachers.

I have met a lot of intelligent people who for whatever reason shun Maths as they don't understand it - my wife included. The basic fundamentals of H T U (remember those?) are poorly taught and I'd guess that is because the teachers themselves didn't understand it either! I fall back on H T U notation to teach things such as binary arithmetic and stuff such logarithms and decibels and get the concept across quickly.

To be fair though it wasn't until I became a teacher (up to 'A' Level Science) that I realised that the knowledge I had been using for years I didn't really understand. Thus began my own re-evaluation to understand what I thought I did but didn't! This resulted in my pupils enjoying lessons because I could put the subject across clearly from a good understanding and bring it into perspective.

I still have fond memories of teaching. That just brought back a memory of the time when I heard some low ability pupils age 14+ (none examinable as they were labelled) being allocated a science teacher and one of the naughtiest piped up "cor! we have a good teacher!". They took just one CSE and it was the subject I and my team taught - General Science and 80% passed. Doesn't that say something about the teaching in the rest of the school?

Of course this was 40 years ago and things may well be a lot different now. But at that time the best teachers were allocated to the brightest classes whilst those with weaker/disruptive pupils had the weakest teachers. Hence why I introduced that CSE course for those that were not taking any other exam led by myself and two other top Science teachers.

DV
Excellent post, agree with much (not all!) of that, especially the opening sentence.

Yes, the whole of teaching should be looked into, one of the big problems with our education system is that we don’t have an education system. We have a multiplicity of different systems that includes Free Schools, Academies, MATs and ‘bog standard’ standard comps all of which attract different funding models and we also have Grammar schools that are openly selective and ex Grammar schools that are selective by post code. Many Academies are also selective by the back door, in that while they might have the same admissions policy as a bog standard comp, when they exclude a pupil, they can top up from a waiting list rather than having to go into an LEA ‘managed move’ system which effectively means that if a school excludes a pupil, it has to take another pupil excluded from another school. This means that as more schools become academies, there are a growing number of excluded pupils needing places in fewer and fewer LEA schools (that have less money to deal with excluded pupils) LEA schools are more and more becoming schools for pupils with Special Needs of different sorts.

Most schools with a sixth form were those who lost Grammar school status in the 70’s. As someone who failed their 11 plus and sent to a pretty awful Secondary Modern where we were consciously schooled for labouring jobs, and went to a newly converted ex Grammar School for what would now be called KS4 (and where most of the teaching staff came from the old Grammar school), I can only say the experience was deeply corrosive. I managed to get quite a few CSE grade 1’s, which we were told were that equivalent to O levels, but when I asked to see the head of sixth form to do A levels, I was met with a barely concealed smirk and fairly open contempt. I felt that I was being laughed at. So yes, I totally agree that the quality of teaching at such a school (that was still regarded as outstanding by the time Ofsted came around), was often an abject failure for pupils like me.

I would disagree quite strongly that certain subjects should be given a higher priority than other subjects. For example, when I eventually went to University I was told that I wouldn’t be able to cope with an economics course because of my lack of Maths understanding, which I freely admit is poor. Yet years later I find that I can understand economics at a conceptual level without Maths, and when I have spent a day or two analysing an equation that some people might grasp instinctively, the equation is doing no more than saying if x then y, but x is assumed, so there is no necessary connection to y which all of the maths in between obscures. MV=PT is such an equation which assumes a two hundred year old quantity theory of money and from that gives us the current day monetarist ideology of fighting inflation only with cuts to and controls on spending.

Secondly, we are now in a situation with the English baccalaureate that certain subjects are given priority and other subjects like the arts are becoming optional to the extent that with budget cuts, less curriculum time is given to the arts and pupils are asked to pay for materials if they do choose to do those subjects. I would argue that the central role of Education is to provide a broad and balanced curriculum, not one heavily weighted in a certain direction.

Loved the bit when you said you had to re evaluate your own knowledge in order to teach. As a freelance illustrator I had an instinctive understanding of perspective that I never questioned or thought about, I just did it, it was easy. However, as a Head of Art communicating that understanding was not easy and I have to work hard at thinking about and developing that understanding in order to teach it to a mixed class. The very act of having to re evaluate my own understand brought it’s own rewards for me personally and the projects I developed as a consequence became some of my most popular.

All of which brings me to your last paragraph, yes, the best teachers still get the easiest classes, but also, teaching has changed dramatically in the last 40 years. Gove’s changes brought in far greater demands for admin and extra demands on teacher time. In that time a culture of bullying seems to have developed, and as a Local Secretary of a teaching union, I found myself dealing with more and more cases of teachers being put on disciplinary and capability proceeding for trivial reasons. As budgets were cut, such cases rose especially for classroom teachers in their 50’s who would be replaced with younger, cheaper NQTs.

Last edited:
As someone who failed their 11 plus and sent to a pretty awful Secondary Modern

I had the dubious honour of attending both, through a quirk of timing of the 11+, my age and miscalculation/incompetence in admin. Luckily, only 1 term at sec. mod. in the early 50s. The latter was 100 yards from my home; the grammar was a 1.5 to 2 mile walk at each end and a 12 mile train journey. The two schools were chalk and cheese then; prob. less so now with comp's.

"As someone who failed their 11 plus and sent to a pretty awful Secondary Modern where we were consciously schooled for labouring jobs"

Thank you for your informative post. It would seem that schooling over the decades rather than improving has gone downhill.

I also was unexpectedly failed the 11 plus by my junior school. Apparently I scored 100% in maths but my parents were given a load of bull why they failed me. I was of course disappointed as children whom I considered to be less capable got into grammar. So I went to the local tough 1100 boys Sec Mod. On reflection now all these years later I realise that was my first lucky break! I was put into class 1.1 (The streams went from 1.1 to 1.11) and we were offered the chance to join the GCE stream that had just started in 2.1 for the following year. We had exams end of Xmas term and on returning in January I was bumped up into 2.1! That was totally unexpected and really tough. The result was that I left school at 15 with 6 'O' Levels one of which Chemistry (a hobby) was self taught. That school with its visionary Head and motivated staff set me up for life. By contrast the drummer in my band did go to the local grammar took 10 'O' Levels at 16 and failed the lot! That might have been me.

Anywho I got to Uni and read Chemistry and went into teaching where after 2 years I ended up in I believe the first (or at least one of the first) Comprehensives where I taught with some of my old teachers who had taught me in that Sec Mod!

I'll stop there as the point I am making is that schooling and the opportunities offered in the '50s and '60s was from my experience far better than what I glean today. I gave up teaching after almost 13 years as I believed that government interference and tinkering was breaking good schooling and the future looked bleak. I had just been appointed as Head of Science and ready to become a Mr Chips but the announced loss of the 6th Form to a new 6th Form College was the nail in the coffin for me. I went into IT by turning another hobby into a profession where the pay was significantly better and could then afford to send my own children to private school.

DV

PS One of my objections to the proposed combining of GCE and CSE was that the syllabus for each course was tailored for academic and none academic pupils. A grade 'A' or similar in CSE was toted as a pass in GCE. This might be fine for a job application but that CSE did not have the rigor nor depth of a GCE course and did not prepare for the rigors of 'A' Level study.

Last edited:
When I recently taught furniture making at college to school leavers, some of whom did not achieve any GCSE maths and English; one of the first things I said to them was ' If you don't I understand something, it is because I am not telling right'. This was a lightbulb moment for many students who realised that it wasn't their lack of intelligence that hampered their understanding, but the delivery method of the information. This then forced me to evaluate my knowledge and formulate it differently often with much success.
We all learn differently, our education system is getting better at accommodating this

"As someone who failed their 11 plus and sent to a pretty awful Secondary Modern where we were consciously schooled for labouring jobs"

Thank you for your informative post. It would seem that schooling over the decades rather than improving has gone downhill.

I also was unexpectedly failed the 11 plus by my junior school. Apparently I scored 100% in maths but my parents were given a load of bull why they failed me. I was of course disappointed as children whom I considered to be less capable got into grammar. So I went to the local tough 1100 boys Sec Mod. On reflection now all these years later I realise that was my first lucky break! I was put into class 1.1 (The streams went from 1.1 to 1.11) and we were offered the chance to join the GCE stream that had just started in 2.1 for the following year. We had exams end of Xmas term and on returning in January I was bumped up into 2.1! That was totally unexpected and really tough. The result was that I left school at 15 with 6 'O' Levels one of which Chemistry (a hobby) was self taught. That school with its visionary Head and motivated staff set me up for life. By contrast the drummer in my band did go to the local grammar took 10 'O' Levels at 16 and failed the lot! That might have been me.

Anywho I got to Uni and read Chemistry and went into teaching where after 2 years I ended up in I believe the first (or at least one of the first) Comprehensives where I taught with some of my old teachers who had taught me in that Sec Mod!

I'll stop there as the point I am making is that schooling and the opportunities offered in the '50s and '60s was from my experience far better than what I glean today. I gave up teaching after almost 13 years as I believed that government interference and tinkering was breaking good schooling and the future looked bleak. I had just been appointed as Head of Science and ready to become a Mr Chips but the announced loss of the 6th Form to a new 6th Form College was the nail in the coffin for me. I went into IT by turning another hobby into a profession where the pay was significantly better and could then afford to send my own children to private school.

DV

PS One of my objections to the proposed combining of GCE and CSE was that the syllabus for each course was tailored for academic and none academic pupils. A grade 'A' or similar in CSE was toted as a pass in GCE. This might be fine for a job application but that CSE did not have the rigor nor depth of a GCE course and did not prepare for the rigors of 'A' Level study.
You were very lucky.
Many secondary modern schools did not offer O level courses. Indeed when they started they were forbidden from entering pupils for O levels, only ended by a few brave, visionary head teachers.

Your rose coloured glasses memories contrast sharply with this account of secondary modern schooling in the 60s.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/may/04/grammar-schools-secondary-modern-11-plus-theresa-may

You were very lucky.
Many secondary modern schools did not offer O level courses. Indeed when they started they were forbidden from entering pupils for O levels, only ended by a few brave, visionary head teachers.

Your rose coloured glasses memories contrast sharply with this account of secondary modern schooling in the 60s.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/may/04/grammar-schools-secondary-modern-11-plus-theresa-may
Only got through half of that article, too many reminders!

Some nice graphs here about how well people are doing educationally speaking since 2008

https://analytics.ofqual.gov.uk/apps/GCSE/Outcomes_Link1/
Yes, but all that shows is that teachers are working their bollocks off the get improved results for pupils, whereas what we’re talking about is that despite those improved outcome, teachers are seeing their pay and conditions steadily declining.

Or to put is more succinctly, teachers are doing their job and raising standards, in spite of their job being made more and more difficult by government

The thing about exam grading is that most (all?) are norm referenced rather than criterion referenced.

You were very lucky.

Yes I was and I said so up front. However it was because I grasped the opportunity with both hands and worked very hard whilst others just gave up and didn't bother. I certainly didn't feel lucky at the time. I studied the complete Chemistry 'O' Level syllabus myself in my own time on top of all the other school work and gained the certificate. My Sec Mod didn't even have a Chemistry teacher only General Science and Biology. I'm forever grateful to those teachers and the Head that believed in me and gave me the chance.

How many pupils have that opportunity today?

DV

The problem continues with the Govt iniative over T levels. They want to dump BTEC for T levels. Having taught BTEC for many years in an FE college they are well thought out very practical and suit the learning style of target pupils. I taught BTEC computing and many students that went on to Uni came back and told me how well they were doing compared to A level intake students who had to get used to more practical less spoon fed ways of teaching.

advertisement

Back