advertisement

My My My delilah

hifinutt

hifinutt
Oh my goodness ... when will this silliness stop ? next they will be banning hamlet and opera !!!

Reaction to a ban on choirs from performing the Tom Jones classic, Delilah, at Welsh international rugby matches has been mixed.

While some approve, others say they can't understand how the ballad's lyrics - a fictional account of a jealous man murdering his wife - could be seen as trivialising violence against women.

Depictions of gendered violence have featured in artforms like plays, operas, and songs for centuries, and continue to be performed live to this day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64511615

In fairness the BBC and the gutter tabloid press have to manufacture any moral outrage/culture wars they possibly can to detract from the criminal Tory kleptocracy and the fact much of the post-crash/burn UK looks and feels like living in a dumpster at present. Failing far-right governments always need their deflection tactics.

PS In other news: Look! Over there! A trans person to monster!

In fairness the BBC and the gutter tabloid press have to manufacture any moral outrage/culture wars they possibly can to detract from the criminal Tory kleptocracy and the fact much of the post-crash/burn UK looks and feels like living in a dumpster at present. Failing far-right governments always need their deflection tactics.

PS In other news: Look! Over there! A trans person to monster!
Is this manufactured?

Is this manufactured?

Yes, it appears so. I’ve only read the BBC bullshit and the use of the word “ban” is not defined at all. Based on what they have written (and by drilling down to other articles as the linked one is so badly written and fact-free) it appears the Welsh Rugby Union has decided not to perform one song in certain locations. That is 100% their right to define and implement. It is certainly not a “ban” in any legal sense of the word. It is a marketing decision. The BBC article and this thread reads like yet more manufactured alt-right anti-woke culture-war bullshit, and sadly I expect that from the BBC now. The reality appears to be a sport/entertainment business making a decision it has every right to make for whatever reason it chooses.

If anyone wants to talk about bans it makes far more sense to discuss the Tory ban on many aspects of public protest, the right to strike etc. This stuff is very real in a legal/police-state sense and is all part of creeping fascism. A sportsball company deciding not to sing a song really doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things.

The Welsh Rugby Union have removed it from their entertainment package - undoubtedly because of the recent findings against them, but it is no longer available to play to the crowd to elicit a response. Not manufactured.

The BBC reached a new low when they published emails on social media that exposed the whistleblower who exposed the Afghan exit debacle. The BBC is now so full of Tory arse lickers from the chairman down they can no longer be trusted as journalists.

Aren't we missing the point here? The BBC didn't break this story; ITV had it before then so it must have been manufactured somewhere else.

Reactions: Cav
‘Delilah’ is an old karaoke favourite of mine.

I also like ‘Mack The Knife.’

never mind Dead Kennedys ‘Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables’

Kill The Poor

Forward To Death

When Ya Get Drafted

Let's Lynch The Landlord

Drug Me

Your Emotions

Chemical Warfare

California Über Alles

I Kill Children

Stealing Peoples' Mail… all great singalong tunes.

Aren't we missing the point here? The BBC didn't break this story; ITV had it before then so it must have been manufactured somewhere else.

It was manufactured by the WRU to make it look like they’re doing something about their misogyny scandal. It’s only the official choirs who can’t sing it, and they haven’t been doing since 2015, so the WRU is lagging behind somewhat

@Big Tabs how can a song about fruit n veg be offensive?

(wtf is it with songs about veg today anyway..)

The HIV Song by Ween is highly offensive, but also singalong fun too.
Spinal Meningitis is a really fine song of theirs, but seriously fkd up.
And You Fkd Up has the line "you fkn nazi whore" in which I like shouting.

Lots of fun, sickness & swearing to be had with ween.

Isn't green green grass of home about a guy in jail waiting to be hanged? They need to get a grip...

The outrage is entirely political and manufactured. This is a rather dull misogynistic song from the 1960s. It is what it is, and I’d not even accuse Tom Jones of being a misogynist for singing it. You won’t find it in my record collection as I just don’t think it is good, but you will find a lot of Throbbing Gristle, Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel, even a copy of Devo’s ‘Mongoloid’ (though I’d argue that one hasn’t aged well despite a great riff).

Degenerate art should be encouraged in all its forms. It irks the fascists and control-freaks.

PS The Dead Kennedys are as ‘politically correct’ as it gets. Jello Biafra is a remarkably intelligent and articulate person IMO.

advertisement

Back