advertisement

Megane RS 275 Trophy

OK, good to hear that the Fiesta and Megane have a bit more life in them.

I should've grabbed one of these when they were peanuts.

106_rallye_022.jpg

I desperately wanted a Series 1 when you couldn't give them away, no chance now.

Had a drive in my mates 2016 Mini John Cooper Works. I just wanted to try a modern 2.0 Turbo engine.

Well...within the first minute I had to overtake a truck so I naturally dropped it into 2nd (as I do in the GT3) and proceeded to hit the limiter within seconds. I either... 1) don't get driving turbos that top out at 6000 rpm and in reality power delivery is all over by 5000rpm, or 2) need to adjust my driving style LOL.
Modern turbo petrol engines pull like diesels from low down. If RWD is your thing, how about a used M140i, M240i or better yet, an M2?

Man compares mass produced 2 litre turbo with a naturally aspirated Porsche flat 6 and is disappointed with the 2 litre turbo. Who’d have thunk it?

I found my old Porsche 996 C2 quite boring to drive despite having all the on paper credentials ... light weight, big NA motor, RWD, Weissach expert designed suspension etc etc

Also had the Focus RS MK3 in Blue and the optional recaro buckets, actually sounded disappointing when inside the car ... but was a good mile muncher, albiet with a firm ride.

Around that time, my girlfriend had a Peugeot 208 GTI, which was quite fun, wasn't as taught and sharp as the Focus RS but had a more analog delivery power wise...

I now have a 1965 Mustang 289 V8 4-speed Fastback, not very fast in the straight nor around corners (frightening when it had bias ply tires) but it just feels and sounds so good even at a modest 40 mph, and in this day and age it is nice to enjoy driving without going a million mph with a million BHP...

Taste is a funny old thing isn’t it? I used to have a 996 C2 and loved it… Can’t imagine feeling the same way about a vintage American muscle car. Each to their own I guess!

Dont get me wrong, the 996 is a good car, it just feels flat (for a sports car) when you dont drop a few gears and give it the beans ... and it's quite scary at 3 figure speeds with the light front end too, the Mustang is worrying at the NSL also!

Well, I guess that’s why a lot of people say a 911 is an ‘everyday’ sports car. Not everyone wants to be flying at the seat of their pants every time they get into their car! :eek:

A Megane sounds like a great idea to me, a far more interesting choice than a Focus if you ask me and a much better image. I’ve had a Fiesta ST (4 cylinder) and it was one of the most disappointing and compromised cars I’ve ever owned.

I’d also be looking at BMW. But Renault are masters of the hot hatch.

Man compares mass produced 2 litre turbo with a naturally aspirated Porsche flat 6 and is disappointed with the 2 litre turbo. Who’d have thunk it?

It's more the fact it was just 'fast' and not alot of effort to keep it cooking. My wifes A3 petrol is the same. I needed longer with it to recalibrate how I drive.

I need to keep trying stuff.

Try a BMW with the B58 engine (as mentioned above). Such as an M240i. Plenty of low-down torque and keeps going and going…!!

As you say, the 2 litre petrol turbos are fast but they do have a bit of lag and, yup, you do need to adjust your driving style. Audi 5-pots aren’t too shabby if you like a more engaging power train.

Modern turbo petrol engines pull like diesels from low down. If RWD is your thing, how about a used M140i, M240i or better yet, an M2?

Yes, I've a mate that is up to speed on all the BMW models.

I like the idea of a 1 series. There's the...
130i (N52) - but that's only hatch back and I prefer the Coupe shape :( (mapped/modded 125i Coupe is an option too)
135i (N55) - not the earlier N54 twin turbo engine but the later N55 with twin scroll turbo (but I want manual which is rare)

I need to get a go in a M2 but I've heard mixed things and I;d probably want a Comp which is too much money for what I want. Not sure even with an M2 non Comp I want to dealing with the BMW equivalent of a Porsche GT product as I've got enough of that £££ grief in my life already..

Yes, I've a mate that is up to speed on all the BMW models.

I like the idea of a 1 series. There's the...
130i (N52) - but that's only hatch back and I prefer the Coupe shape :( (mapped/modded 125i Coupe is an option too)
135i (N55) - not the earlier N54 twin turbo engine but the later N55 with twin scroll turbo (but I want manual which is rare)

I need to get a go in a M2 but I've heard mixed things and I;d probably want a Comp which is too much money for what I want. Not sure even with an M2 non Comp I want to dealing with the BMW equivalent of a Porsche GT product as I've got enough of that £££ grief in my life already..

We have an M235i with the N55 and it has been brill. We came from an early 335i with the N54 engine which was great as long as you had extended warranty. Lovely car (manual as well) but quite a few engine issues. The M235i has been faultless on the engine side. We had a alternator belt pulley bearing disintegrate on us on a journey to Norfolk that required a relay which was not great but it has been the only thing in the last 7 years. Like you love the coupe shape and have been very tempted with an M2 but with very low milage and more WFH for my wife (main user) we have decided to hang on to it.

I found my old Porsche 996 C2 quite boring to drive despite having all the on paper credentials ... light weight, big NA motor, RWD, Weissach expert designed suspension etc etc

Also had the Focus RS MK3 in Blue and the optional recaro buckets, actually sounded disappointing when inside the car ... but was a good mile muncher, albiet with a firm ride.

Around that time, my girlfriend had a Peugeot 208 GTI, which was quite fun, wasn't as taught and sharp as the Focus RS but had a more analog delivery power wise...

I now have a 1965 Mustang 289 V8 4-speed Fastback, not very fast in the straight nor around corners (frightening when it had bias ply tires) but it just feels and sounds so good even at a modest 40 mph, and in this day and age it is nice to enjoy driving without going a million mph with a million BHP...
My ex had a 997.2 cabrio and when drove it I thought it was heavy and ponderous.

Dont get me wrong, the 996 is a good car, it just feels flat (for a sports car) when you dont drop a few gears and give it the beans ... and it's quite scary at 3 figure speeds with the light front end too, the Mustang is worrying at the NSL also!

Yes, but that's the whole point of a flat 6, they're an inherently 'balanced' engine design that gets smoother the MORE you rev it.

A Megane sounds like a great idea to me, a far more interesting choice than a Focus if you ask me and a much better image. I’ve had a Fiesta ST (4 cylinder) and it was one of the most disappointing and compromised cars I’ve ever owned.

I’d also be looking at BMW. But Renault are masters of the hot hatch.

Turns out a perfect spec Pearl White RS 275 Trophy that I undearthed via the forums a weeks ago and was then pulled has come back onto the scene at a more sensible price. Renault Pearlescent White is a class color in real life and photo doesn't do it justice.

Owner has his eye on a Megane R26.R now and is ready to deal...hmmmm

420be6_d23db4d1e7e2404f9d4af16e0e5e0581~mv2.jpg

Looks good. A proper sorted FWD hot hatch is a lot of fun, even when you've owned/driven proper cars.

I’ve often chatted at work about what we would buy, given the opportunity, and we regularly come back to the quick Renaults. I doubt anyone will lose their shirt on them, just maybe think about buying up some spares, just in case, before they become scarce. You might keep it for a long time!

I’ve often chatted at work about what we would buy, given the opportunity, and we regularly come back to the quick Renaults. I doubt anyone will lose their shirt on them, just maybe think about buying up some spares, just in case, before they become scarce. You might keep it for a long time!

Yes, spare gearboxes and engines are still relatively 'cheap'...I remember when air cooled Porsches were like that.

Gearboxes have a few known issues but engines are pretty well tested design and tough as long as you don't try to run silly power (who wants to run 350hp anyway in a FWD).

advertisement

Back