advertisement

Used Van/Estate For The Boy

Big Tabs

looking backwards, going forwards
Youngest Boy (32!) has been running a diesel VW Caddy for a few years, which he picked up for about £1500. The Caddy has engine issues (fuel getting into the engine) which a garage has indicated may be piston rings failing (?). Boy thinks it is the injectors - I have no idea as mechanical stuff ain’t my thing.
Boy is going to have a go at fixing it..

So I think he will need a replacement soon.

I want to point him towards a Berlingo or a Skoda Roomster. The Roomster can have all the seats removed in the rear I think.

Boy has dogs and likes to camp in the middle of nowhere, potentially in the van. Typically, he has little money so Bank of Parents will pick up some of the bill. He reckons 3k will be enough, we think 5k minimum…

Any positive suggestions as to the vehicle choice? If anyone lives on the Island, any pointers to dealers would be appreciated.
I think we will end up looking around Nottinghamshire for him. There seems to be little choice and a premium on the Island.

There was a some local to me, Glasgow, selling two Fiorino vans on AV forums recently, they looked decent £3,9k and £3,6k from memory, I drive the Citreon Nemo variant which is a great van.

I'll have a look for the advert but they might be sold now, think the person was in Falkirk or Fife.

Tony

The advert has been archived but might be worth a PM they were archived 17th January probably be easy to see if they're being advertised elsewhere too as the reg numbers are visible.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/fiat-fiorino-1-3-diesel-fsh-vans-for-sale-x2.2441368/

These days, fuel in the oil is often due to DPF (diesel particulate filter, in the exhaust) regeneration issues, sometimes stemming from the DPF not getting up to temperature and then staying there long enough to compete a regen.

Stay away from Fords that use the engine where the timing belt goes through the engine oil, by design. They’re a ticking time bomb, will seize without warning.

He would struggle to fit in a Skoda Roomster or Berlingo if he wants to sleep in them. I would suggest a Volvo V70 or the go (almost) anywhere ability of the XC70.

OP's budget might have a bearing on whether a Volvo is on, though as a Volvo owner I wouldn't disagree. Pretty bulletproof and carry high mileages well, but if you're looking at an older one, make sure all the belts have been changed as per the service schedule. There's a stupid design flaw in some of the earlier 5-cyl diesels where the alternator belt can let go and wrap itself round the cambelt. Cue expensive bang. Later engines have guards, and some earlier ones have been modded, but one to be aware of. But I'd be reasonably confident in any c100k mile Volvo, with a bit of history.

These days, fuel in the oil is often due to DPF (diesel particulate filter, in the exhaust) regeneration issues, sometimes stemming from the DPF not getting up to temperature and then staying there long enough to compete a regen.

Stay away from Fords that use the engine where the timing belt goes through the engine oil, by design. They’re a ticking time bomb, will seize without warning.
I've just read up on these, that sounds like a really stupid idea. Added to which in order to do it it's a job involving removing 3 engine covers, which sounds like engine out. Every 10 years, 150k miles, nobody is going to pay for engine out on a low value 10 year old car, they'll just ignore it until it goes pop.

To the OP - car prices are still very high at present. I'd choose something like a Galaxy over either of the Skodas you mention.

OP's budget might have a bearing on whether a Volvo is on, though as a Volvo owner I wouldn't disagree. Pretty bulletproof and carry high mileages well, but if you're looking at an older one, make sure all the belts have been changed as per the service schedule. There's a stupid design flaw in some of the earlier 5-cyl diesels where the alternator belt can let go and wrap itself round the cambelt. Cue expensive bang. Later engines have guards, and some earlier ones have been modded, but one to be aware of. But I'd be reasonably confident in any c100k mile Volvo, with a bit of history.

V70s start at about a grand, though obviously spend more and you will get a better/newer one. Good point about the aux belt, otherwise they are pretty bulletproof. Petrol or diesel will do huge mileages if looked after (I had a D5 V70 with over 307,000 miles on it, ran perfectly, I am currently selling a D5 XC70 with a no-advisory MOT and just shy of 218,000 miles).

One those looong stretched Ford van derived things would be a good bet.
I think they call that a Tourneo, looks like a tarted up Transit with windows. Good choice as you say for stealth camping and schlepping about carrying lots of outdoor sports gear.

Yeti, though I don’t know what 5k would get you. I’ve slept in ours and I’m 6’3”

Also picked up a king bed frame a few weeks back, after taking the seats out. Wish they’d pull their finger out and make an electric equivalent!

Thanks for the suggestions so far, the Volvo is the least likely!

Something pig ugly like the Fiat or Seat might suit.

Which island? Wight/Sheppey/Canvey/Mersea/Barry/other?

Isle O Wight

Re: the vw, check the stretch bolts aren’t snapped, and the injector clamps not broken. We’ve had a lot of pain with Ms DDD’s caddy.

Injector went a year ago, bodged by a ‘friend’ who left a snapped bolt and the overflow pipes leaking, then the EGR went…

Re: the vw, check the stretch bolts aren’t snapped, and the injector clamps not broken. We’ve had a lot of pain with Ms DDD’s caddy.

Injector went a year ago, bodged by a ‘friend’ who left a snapped bolt and the overflow pipes leaking, then the EGR went…
You'll do well to test for broken stretch bolts I'd think, certainly not without removing the cam cover, and no seller's going to let you do that. Likewise seized injectors and broken clamps are mechanic inspection jobs too.
edit - turns out that stretch bolts are used on injector clamps on VW. Still, it's pro inspection territory because of I were selling a car and the guy buying it started getting his spanners out I'd be asking him what on earth he thought he was doing.

If he doesn't need back seats and is looking to use it for discreet camping with a couple of canines, I would have thought he's going to need a proper van. Trying to blackout an estate or SUV to sleep in it is tricky - I know, I’ve tried!

I’d look for the best Doblo or Berlingo I could find for £3k. You’ll probably get a better vehicle than a yeti or Caddy for £5k.

Remember!

The first rule of father buying car for offspring: It must be cheap and old as the youngster will crash it. Father himself, who (of course) is a very good driver and will never crash, continues in his new and very safe car.

Remember!

The first rule of father buying car for offspring: It must be cheap and old as the youngster will crash it. Father himself, who (of course) is a very good driver and will never crash, continues in his new and very safe car.

First rule - Stereotypes rarely apply to me.
I don’t regard 3-5k as cheap. The Boy is 32, so not a child.
We have never had a new car, the used car we purchased is 11 years old, and will be kept running as long as we can. Hoping the car will last another 10 years.

If he doesn't need back seats and is looking to use it for discreet camping with a couple of canines, I would have thought he's going to need a proper van. Trying to blackout an estate or SUV to sleep in it is tricky - I know, I’ve tried!

I’d look for the best Doblo or Berlingo I could find for £3k. You’ll probably get a better vehicle than a yeti or Caddy for £5k.

He will only use the car to sleep in very rarely. He is more likely to walk 15 - 20 miles and camp with no tent.

I spoke to The Boy yesterday and planted the idea of Doblo/Berlingo.

Also I think the pig ugly Skoda Roomster is worth a look.

advertisement

Back