advertisement

Naim Equipment recommendations

I'd go back down the 72/140 route. It'll hold its own against current kit, looks good, sounds great and will still be serviceable for decades. Oh, and multiple upgrades are available for them should you wish.

Yes, this tbh.

I wouldn't buy a 102 - they really need a HiCap, and even then are not one of the more loved preamps.

I also wouldn't buy a SuperNait 1 - they were not especially popular at the time (possibly because of the DAC/amp PSU layout, or did I dream that?) and the redesign to the SN2 happened quite quickly IIRC.

An SN2 is the best bet if you want one of the more modern integrateds - it's a great fit and forget amp, if perhaps lacking the charm of the older stuff.

Agree with others that 32.5/110 or 72/140 are the ways to go, depending on speakers. Also agree that HC is not needed for either combo. I preferred without.

I’d find yourself another 72/140 combo. You’ll always be able to move them on if you wish, they are a great pairing.

I too have just gone Naim from years of Musical fidelity. I have done some upgrades (but not gone mad) but really like the sound. Much more upfront than MF.

72/140, 82/140, 72/Hi/250... make sure you have money for a service, and a couple of terminated lengths of Naim's NACA5 speaker cable. Decent fun. I don't rate the 102; it's a 72 with a remote, sounds a bit more brittle and must be used with a NAPSC to sound halfway decent - you may as well get an 82. 72 supercap is also a great preamp!

I've never been taken with the Supernaits of any description. YMMV.

I’m after buying some used classic Naim kit, I was hoping to pick folks brains before asking in classifieds for some of what could be classed as not entry level but not to expensive to buy. When I was 22 I had a naim 72 with matching power amp ( can’t remember the model but it looked the same as the pre amp ), both of these were Olive. It’s that long ago and I’m wishing to take another shot at Naim. Would a serviced Supernait 1 be a good shout?. Any advice appreciated.
Tom Tom Audio stock older style and great for advice

I got a NAIT3 in 2003, and then moved up to a 72/hi/180 by 2006. It's stayed ever since. Mainly because the 72 is a tactile delight :)

SuperNAITs do look and sound great, but I'm used to the box clutter, plus wtih my CD5/Flatcap I've got at least 1 component from each range as the Hicap is a 1986 chrome bumper...

advertisement

Back