advertisement

What are you listening to right now #63

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liquid Trio Experiment - Spontaneous Combustion, Vinyl

815dJ5qfxaL._SX522_.jpg

Discovering some of the artists from Cafe Exil (ACE compilation - When Bowie and Iggy escaped LA to go Interrailing in the mid-70s they heard a new European music that was largely devoid of Anglo-American rock influence: the German motorik sound, flashes of jazz, experimentation and electronica. In West Berlin, one of their favourite haunts was Kreuzberg's Cafe Exil, a smoky hang-out for beats and intellectuals. This is its imaginary soundtrack.)

1000x1000bb.jpg

.sjb

Discovering some of the artists from Cafe Exil (ACE compilation - When Bowie and Iggy escaped LA to go Interrailing in the mid-70s they heard a new European music that was largely devoid of Anglo-American rock influence: the German motorik sound, flashes of jazz, experimentation and electronica. In West Berlin, one of their favourite haunts was Kreuzberg's Cafe Exil, a smoky hang-out for beats and intellectuals. This is its imaginary soundtrack.)

1000x1000bb.jpg

.sjb
Check out Dance of the Lemmings & Yeti - imho the best of Amon Duul II

Introducing Kenny Cox and the Contemporary Jazz Quintet - streaming via Qobuz

A BN Classic that slipped under my radar - some nice playing but very tinny cymbals - did the Classic mix balance it out a bit better ( I'm streaming from the two CD edition).

OIP.GO4LZKb3XaetKgs4G1RjxAAAAA
I can’t comment re a comparison to the Qobuz stream, but I nearly passed on this Classic, but was glad I didn’t. It sounds excellent if not as far forward as a Van Gelder Recording. My comments at the time are here https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/blue-note-classic-vinyl-reissues.247874/page-20#post-4545618

Reactions: kjb

1000x1000bb.jpg

.sjb

That's probably the last of the 'great' Amon Duul II albums, but it's getting a bit patchy. "A Morning Excuse" (on the "Cafe Exile" compo) "Mozambique" and "Im Krater Blühn Wieder Die Bäume" are great, the rest are just good IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back