advertisement

Naim Equipment recommendations

Wayne C

pfm Member
I’m after buying some used classic Naim kit, I was hoping to pick folks brains before asking in classifieds for some of what could be classed as not entry level but not to expensive to buy. When I was 22 I had a naim 72 with matching power amp ( can’t remember the model but it looked the same as the pre amp ), both of these were Olive. It’s that long ago and I’m wishing to take another shot at Naim. Would a serviced Supernait 1 be a good shout?. Any advice appreciated.

Hi, the "matching" power amp for the 72 would be the 140, also in a half-size case, it's a decent combo. Then you're into full-width cases, 180, 250 etc with the 82 pre-amp.
Don't forget that only the 180 power amps and lower are able to supply power for the pre-amp, a 250 would require a hi-cap too.
hth

A serviced Supernait 1 would be very good indeed if matched with proper speakers such as some bookshelf.
Sound would be similar to what you had with your previous kit with a bit more finesse.

It's a decent starting point, although for a few quid extra an 82 would be better from an upgrade path point of view, if that's important

Yes, although you’re onto the slippery slope of external power supplies / more boxes…

Personally, I preferred the Nait 3 to Supernait (but I prefer JV era Naim to post JV, across the board); 72/140 is a great combo, IMO, and perhaps 'even more fun' sans Hi-Cap, so potentially no need to start on the 'slippery slope'... :rolleyes:

As ever, YMMV.

Personally, I preferred the Nait 3 to Supernait (but I prefer JV era Naim to post JV, across the board); 72/140 is a great combo, IMO, and perhaps 'even more fun' sans Hi-Cap, so potentially no need to start on the 'slippery slope'... :rolleyes:

As ever, YMMV.

it’s such a long time ago when I had those amps 1990s, I vaguely remember they didn’t cost that much In comparison to what they seem to command today, even with inflation factored in i definitely didn’t pay anything near, mind you I bought a Linn LP12/Ekos/Lingo for £700 and sold it for the same around a year later - we all make mistakes I guess and that was a biggy!!. I guess we all regret selling stuff that years later seems to be very popular.

Older Naim kit seem to increase in resale value.
With launch of new classics, you might find cheaper offerings in the classic range.

Older Naim kit seem to increase in resale value.
With launch of new classics, you might find cheaper offerings in the classic range.

looking at the prices of those classics range pieces like the SN3 sadly I’m not in the bracket financially although I’d love to buy any of those !

looking at the prices of those classics range pieces like the SN3 sadly I’m not in the bracket financially although I’d love to buy any of those !

SN3 not that far from a SN2 which sometime is half retail s/h.
Or wait until a new classic Supernait launch, will move prices further down.

My first Naim gear was 42/110,lovely, added a SNAPS (can't remember what it did), went to 42.5 to change SNAPS to HiCap, good move. Swapped 110 for 250 (don't think I really needed it). Bought 82, more hifi, less joy. I've found happiness again with 52/SCap/135x2 but I think I could've remained content with a 42, 42.5, 32, 32.5 and likely a 72 as I believe they're all pretty similar (62 also?). The 110 is great, I think the 140 is similar and the 160 great but a bit bigger and very collectable. Good luck with your search, a service may be required , Naim are great, Darran at Class A is every bit as good and less expensive while being Naim accredited.

You can get a Supernait for around a grand, 72/hicap/140 for a bit more, probably £1200?

Alternatively don’t bother, it’s decent gear but nothing more.
^ This. There are alternatives, if you must have Naim and nothing else then carry on, pay the price. If you just want good sounds there are a great many other choices, ranging, if you want a similar flavour, from 90s Exposure to more modern JVC integrateds, all of which have been favourably viewed with former Naim owners. A good few 32/72/52/250/235 etc devotees have done this, sold on the old stuff and pocketed the change.

Naim gear isn’t a ‘trap’, it’s just Hifi, some like it some don’t. I was a happy owner for many years & didn’t do a single upgrade in over a decade.

Let’s turn this into the usual pile on;)

I'm going to say....
Do it!

A nice 72 / 140 or 180 combo is still a great introduction to naim
And if / when you decide to move on...prices are still rising so you won't loose anything
Buy wisely...and enjoy

Last edited:
you won't loose anything

pay the price

This vote for most older Naim stuff.
Apart from a few items, their old range has no real competition of today.
That is if you like the rhythmic forward sound and just enjoy music, apart from when it gets serviced.

Even the crazy priced early Naits can resell with no loss.
Nap 160 prices are going up as most Crome Bumper kit.
Some Olive stuff too
I had 135 mono decades ago, had I kept on to them, they were doubled in price today.
Same with a Nait 2.

People who wish to go new classic and hand over their older classic kit in trade, would hit a loss though.
272, 300DR, XPS etc.

I had a 140 connected to an Atom, lovely organic power amp IMO, I intended to get a 72 and use as a second system, but never got round to it. I like the olive gear over the classic.

advertisement

Back