advertisement

Best drummer.. ever?

Technically no-one, including even Cobham, comes close to this dude.
Thomas Lang. Unbelievable technique and his footwork is other worldly. Four limb independence beyond anyone else I’ve seen.

My favourite real drummer is Michal Miskiewicsz

Obviously the guy from Clown Core

Ok, here he is not terrorising the suburbs:

Or just bringing the funk

I prefer seeing a drummer making the most out of a limited kit compared to exploring a Neil Peart style 96-piece kit (or however much it was)

Sorry to quote this again but this fell into my YouTube feed. Seems like a good place to share.

I'm a big fan of Al Jackson. He's an excellent example of what many have mentioned above, making it all about the song/music, rather than himself; sympathy and listening. Goodness, how Stax stuff makes you want to dance. His little rolls on the snare at the end of a bar, heralding the downbeat at the start of the next one. He and Bernard Purdie always make me want to pick up and plug in my bass. I love how Green Onions just swings On paper (in notation), Tramp, just looks so ordinary, but the feel he gives it...

Technically no-one including even Cobham, comes close to this dude.
Thomas Lang. Unbelievable technique and his footwork is other worldly.

My favourite drummer is Michal Miscewicsz

Not repeating earlier mentions, many great, some others to think about:
  • Hannah Welton (Prince)
  • Mike Dooley (The Enemy, Toy Love, ...)
  • Paul Humphrey (Motown)
  • Seb Rochford (Polar Bear, Libertines, ....)

Bill Bruford, Steve Gadd (the one from Charlie) and Phil Collins before he went MOR, Ringo Starr, Michael Giles

• Seb Rochford (Polar Bear, Libertines, ....)

...Sons of Kemet. I really like Seb's playing too. I miss being able to go to see Polar Bear at The Vortex.

Have you heard the Pulled By Magnets record? Sax/bass/drums trio recorded in a church in Stoke Newington for maximum reverb - bonkers sounding, like some kind of jazz / doom metal hybrid.

...Sons of Kemet. I really like Seb's playing too. I miss being able to go to see Polar Bear at The Vortex.

Have you heard the Pulled By Magnets record? Sax/bass/drums trio recorded in a church in Stoke Newington for maximum reverb - bonkers sounding, like some kind of jazz / doom metal hybrid.

This is terrific, right up my street, thanks

The ones that spring to my mind, I'm sure there are more that I have enjoyed
Neil Peart
Keith Moon
John Bonham
Animal
Ilan Rubin
Phil Collins
Dave Grohl
Taylor Hawkins
Buddy Rich
Charlie Watts
Mitch Mitchell
Charlie Hall
Ringo

I guess this is greatly going to depend on what sort of music you like and have knowledge of, I don't really like Jazz and have little knowledge of, my favourite drummers are probably all from 'contemporary' bands (not Jazz or Blues) like
Jimmy Chamberlain, Matt Cameron, Dave Grohl, Barrett Martin as well as the 'classic' greats like Mason, Bonham, etc, etc

I don't think there can ever be a 'best' - there are drummers who are clearly astonishing but in their own different ways. Here are a few modern drummers that have blown me away of late:

Greyson Nekrutman:

Eloy Casagrande:

Mario Duplantier:

advertisement

Back