advertisement

Rega P3 vs P6 vs RP6

wiresandmore

pfm Member
Hi

In our kitchen system we have an RP1 and I’d like to get something better as it’s getting more and more use as our family music place. The RP1 is white and it looks very good where it is (there’s a mix of white units and light woods nearby, the speakers - Dynaudios - are white too.) Given it’s a family area, it has to blend in well!

Looking up the Rega hierarchy, I can get the new P3 in white and the older RP6 in white (secondhand of course, and they are not common). The current P6 is grey-ish as far as I can tell.

Is the current P3 with a Neo added comparable to an older RP6 (which mostly had the older TT-PSU supplied)? And, for the newer models, what’s the performance gap between a P6 and a P3 with the Neo? It would seem the arm and motors/PSU are the same, leaving the differences as plinth, bearing and the platter setup.

It’s not that easy for me to dem these, so advice welcome.

Always worthwhile getting opinions here but if you have a Rega dealer within traveling distance, then why not book a dem since you're a genuine potential customer. That's part of the fun isn't it? :)

Always worthwhile getting opinions here but if you have a Rega dealer within traveling distance, then why not book a dem since you're a genuine potential customer. That's part of the fun isn't it? :)

Well, I don’t really, that’s the issue. Most likely I’d have to ask them to be ordered in. And morally, I never feel right about doing demos and buying s/hand (which is an option here).

Heard the (new) Planar 3 the other day. Unusually it was fitted with a Linn Koil (mc) cart feeding a Rega Aria phono stage. The amp was a Rega Elicit mk5 and the speakers were Dynaudio standmounts (Confidence 20s, I think). The sound was excellent. And this was with the table running “bare”, ie no external power supply.

Other turntables are available in White
ProJectDebutPROTurntableSatinWhite_2_700x_7c58f8c5-7470-48de-9b71-b01413202656_700x.webp

I'd say that it depends what cartridge and phono stage you intend to use. The P6 can be pushed quite a bit further than the 3 can. If you're happy with an Exact, or a Nag perhaps into a Rega stage or an amp's internal stage, then it''d stick with the 3 and add the Neo.

I had all of them and the best one in my opinion was the RP6.
The P6 has similar performance, if not better, but the finish is not as good as that of the RP6.

I would have thought the P6 would punch much higher than the old RP6, since it has the actual metal subplatter and the new Tancast 8 foam plinth, which the P8 has; whereas the RP6 is not that many steps above the new P3 so its interesting to hear from someone who has heard them all .

I was just thinking a similar question re: the new P2 vs P3 but thats for another thread maybe !

I'd say that it depends what cartridge and phono stage you intend to use. The P6 can be pushed quite a bit further than the 3 can. If you're happy with an Exact, or a Nag perhaps into a Rega stage or an amp's internal stage, then it''d stick with the 3 and add the Neo.

I have a Fono MM already, into a Naim Atom, into the Dynaudios

In our kitchen system we have an RP1 and I’d like to get something better as it’s getting more and more use as our family music place. The RP1 is white and it looks very good where it is (there’s a mix of white units and light woods nearby, the speakers - Dynaudios - are white too.) Given it’s a family area, it has to blend in well!

I like the understated looks of the recent P2.

I'm very fond of my RP6. I wouldn't compromise on colour, red in my case, for a small sonic improvement. I found that an acrylic mat makes a worthwhile difference to the sound and adds colour. Win, win.

As far as I know P6 has nothing in common with RP6 apart from #6 and lid hinges.

The P6 is a little better than the RP6, but the finish is poor, especially the glossy side border, while the RP6 has a wide choice of colors, so it depends if you prefer to focus on absolute performance or also take into account aesthetics.
The RP6 is similar to the new P3+ NEO, but has a better platter.
The 2nd hand price of the RP6 is slightly higher than that of the P3 and practically the same in the case of the P3+NEO.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/33464547...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The later RB330 equipped RP6 can be especially good value on EBay if listed with an Exact.

The cartridge and the deck seem , to me, to get the best out of each other.

Many turn up with claims of minimal use.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back