advertisement

New Macs 2023

The problem with that entirely sensible approach is that Apple wouldn’t be able to sell a new iMac to customers every three years or so. I have always thought the iMac was a bad long-term proposition (I actually worked on the original iMac product while at Apple), as bundling display and CPU together meant ditching a perfectly good display when the CPU board became obsolete. However, Steve Jobs was obsessed with the idea of a single-volume computer (ever since the original Macintosh), and it has become something of an Apple signature since.
Some but not all iMacs can be used in Target Mode as a monitor for another device apparently. Not tried it myself but will do soon as my friends iMac is out of OS support and I will be replacing my 2018 mini with a M2 one next month. If doesn't work will get a standard 24" monitor from Dell or similar.

I have never owned a mac before but it does look interesting. I wonder if WINE is working on it yet. Could be interesting for a server. Definitely won't be replacing my desktop though.

My pal who is a UI/UX'er and does some freelance AR/VR stuff is going for the M2 Mini... That to me, says a lot!

Only potential gotcha might be the 32gb max for Mini RAM. I get that the SSD is NVME connected, so it’s not as painful when memory swapping occurs. But Photoshop is such a memory pig, and Mrs. Hook works on some huge images! She wants this be her last system before retiring in 4-5 years, so spending the extra $400 for 64gb on the Studio doesn’t feel like too much overkill.

Waiting for the M2-based Studio is also an option, but am expecting it to cost more.

Waiting for the M2-based Studio is also an option, but am expecting it to cost more.

Not a given, the M2 Mini is actually cheaper than the M1. I’d expect the Studio to get quite a bump as it is behind the Mini in some respects now, and what it offers more is fairly questionable. I’d have thought Photoshop would be fine on any of the M2s for a very long while, it is high-res video editing e.g. Final Cut Pro that really needs the power.

Not a given, the M2 Mini is actually cheaper than the M1. I’d expect the Studio to get quite a bump as it is behind the Mini in some respects now, and what it offers more is fairly questionable. I’d have thought Photoshop would be fine on any of the M2s for a very long while, it is high-res video editing e.g. Final Cut Pro that really needs the power.

I see three things the Studio offers over the Mini: more memory, more ports and a taller enclosure (which should mean it is easier to stay cool).

M1 or M2 should be ok, but the latter appears to offer an ~20% improvement on CPU performance benchmarks. GPU acceleration for Photoshop is less critical, but Mrs. Hook does need a fair number of ports (printer, scanner, camera uploads, external drives, etc.). It would be nice not to have to use a USB hub.

If we were convinced that 32GB would be enough for the next five years, we’d order the new Mini today.

Only potential gotcha might be the 32gb max for Mini RAM. I get that the SSD is NVME connected, so it’s not as painful when memory swapping occurs. But Photoshop is such a memory pig, and Mrs. Hook works on some huge images! She wants this be her last system before retiring in 4-5 years, so spending the extra $400 for 64gb on the Studio doesn’t feel like too much overkill.

It's not the only tool in his arsenal; but his Intel MBP isn't well and he's no need for that any more with having an iPad Pro 12.9 M2 for the mobility etc...

I think with the M1/M2 capabilities now; they're hell of a lot more capable that folk realise...

I see three things the Studio offers over the Mini: more memory, more ports and a taller enclosure (which should mean it is easier to stay cool).

M1 or M2 should be ok, but the latter appears to offer an ~20% improvement on CPU performance benchmarks. GPU acceleration for Photoshop is less critical, but Mrs. Hook does need a fair number of ports (printer, scanner, camera uploads, external drives, etc.). It would be nice not to have to use a USB hub.

If we were convinced that 32GB would be enough for the next five years, we’d order the new Mini today.

This, or if someone would make a decent hub that has more connections than needed, for when they're needed, if that makes sense and that don't die their death soon...

I've had a few Anker & UGreen ones and they've died within 12months etc

Sorry to veer O/T.
There's a 27' Apple Thunderbolt display sitting unused at my mother's house (bought in error by one of my brothers). It has no power supply and a (to me) bewildering array of cables coming out the back of it.

Could this display be made to work with the new Mac Mini on a budget? What would I need to buy to make it work?

Sorry to veer O/T.
There's a 27' Apple Thunderbolt display sitting unused at my mother's house (bought in error by one of my brothers). It has no power supply and a (to me) bewildering array of cables coming out the back of it.

Could this display be made to work with the new Mac Mini on a budget? What would I need to buy to make it work?

The right cable to whatever connection it takes; the Mini's have HDMI and Thunderbolt ports; so find the connections on the display and source that cable...

My M1 Mini is connected to my 24" BenQ monitor via HDMI; my M1 MBP is connected to the same monitor with Thunderbolt / USB-C to DisplayPort

You'll also need a new power cable; something like this IIRC:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B099DDL2L6/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Sorry to veer O/T.

With any recent Mac mini you'll be needing an Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter. The 27" Thunderbolt Display should have come with a detachable power cord in addition to the permanently attached flying lead that has both a Thunderbolt plug (which plugs into the Thunderbolt 2 end of the adapter) plus a MagSafe power connector (for optionally charging prior to 2012 gen MacBooks, and later models via an Apple MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter).

The Studio with the M1 Ultra CPU far exceeds the performance of an M2 CPU. The Ultra is actually two M1 Max chips on a single die giving almost twice the performance. Maybe they'll do the same with the M2 but.........

Also the 32 core Neutral engine and larger ram is better for computer/deep learning fun.

DV

Hook,

Only potential gotcha might be the 32gb max for Mini RAM.

I noticed that, too. I guess this is Apple's way of ushering some sales towards the Mac Studio. You definitely need lots of RAM if you're Photoshopping pix. I'm regularly using more than 60 GB of RAM. Today was a low memory day.

Spakpok.png

Joe

If I survive my op and come out of hospital alive I might treat myself to one.

DV

I’m sitting here looking at the blank reply screen wondering how to phrase this

Best of luck, seem a bit trite for one facing a life threatening operation.

I hope it all works out well for you as you have been very helpful to me on PFM - (when even if you were one of my ignore posters in PFM I’d wish you the best) sounds trite.

Maybe it’s best to use the saying my mother toasted every Christmas

Go mbeirimíd beo ar an am seo arís

- that we will both ( all) be healthy this time next year.

So I’m looking forward to quizzing you up and down about your new Mac mini in 2024!

I truly wish you as successful operation and a speedy recovery.

.sjb

Some but not all iMacs can be used in Target Mode as a monitor for another device apparently. Not tried it myself but will do soon as my friends iMac is out of OS support and I will be replacing my 2018 mini with a M2 one next month. If doesn't work will get a standard 24" monitor from Dell or similar.
You may want to have a read through the following Apple support page.

Apparently, your 2018 mini can connect to a compatible iMac via target display mode as long as the mini is running macOS Catalina or earlier. Anything made after 2019 can't connect via target display mode.

Compatible iMacs are 2009 and 2010 (24" and 27") models connected via Mini DisplayPort, and 2011 through mid-2014 connected via Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2, and must be running macOS High Sierra or earlier.

Another consideration is that one is still running two computers in order to use the one, not necessarily as environmentally sensible as preserving an iMac for use as a monitor might seem, that is, as opposed to it being a working computer for someone with lower expectations/lesser needs.

Thanks Craig, yes that not really going to work. Will go with a monitor. Suspect I will cover a fair percentage of the cost of the monitor selling the older iMac.

advertisement

Back