advertisement

Speakers for larger living room

magentawhale

can't carry a tuna
We've recently extended our living room. We really love the extra space, but I can't get my current loudspeakers to sound right, no matter how I position them. Especially on lower listening volume, the sound is very thin and lacking bottom end with either Royd Minstrels or ARS Acoustica Celera standmounts. Really hope things will improve after the curtains are placed.

I would like to keep using my current speakers. but open to hear some suggestions for loudspeakers which are perhaps more capable of working in a large living room.

You could add a sub or two but the little standmounts will still be dynamically 'stiffled'.

No matter how big it is, can the room be arranged such that you sit as close to the speakers as when it was smaller? If yes, problem solved. If no, you’re going to need bigger speakers.

Nothing has filled my 10mx5m room the way magneplanars do. You cant beat a dipole for driving a big space.

Tannoy’s.
victory-hand_270c-fe0f.png

As much as I love Royd Minstrels - and I really do love these speakers - they aren’t ever going to fill a large room. Their bass response is fine given their size as long as you are sat fairly close to them. As others have said you’re gonna need a bigger boat.

PMC floorstanders. They don't get a lot of love here, and new are probably overpriced.

But five years ago I replaced a pair of Harbeths with them (I just could not get the bass right in that room) and they transformed it.

Now, having moved just before Xmas, I have the opposite problem, obviously.

Assuming you’re looking at Minstrel type budget, and enjoy that lively, musical presentation, I’d consider the Naim Credos in the Classified section here. They aren’t particularly big at all, certainly smaller than SBLs, but they sound big, and have much juicer bass than the SBL, despite using the same (or very similar) drivers.

advertisement

Back